Ovation of the Seas Location Question

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

What is going on with this ship?

FF27ACF8-6085-4E5E-B4B0-6E30ACEF71CF.thumb.png.6816486c65e4834270ea4cbcd6b0ce72.png

That certainly has been a topic for discussion and nobody seems to know.

since she is in warm layup apparently until the Alaska season starts up again here in Seattle my guess she is basically trying to avoid the Pacific storms / atmospheric river.

the first storm that came in about a month ago she was up in the straight of Juan de Fuca race tracking during the storm.

About that time the Zim Kingston, a container ship got caught in a gust off northwest Washington reportedly listed 35 degrees and dumped 100 containers in the ocean.

With all the freeboard the Ovation has maybe that storm raised some eyebrows at RCL.

they sent the Ovation out of Port Angeles very quickly when another gusty storm was forecast (and later hit) a couple weeks ago and she spent a couple weeks mainly off the coast of central California.

just about 12 hours after she anchored off Seattle Saturday morning more gusts were forecast and she pulled up anchor again.

she is due back in Seattle pier 66 for provisioning December 13.

so maybe she hangs out off California again.

• Thanks 1

It’s heading south again at 18.5 knots which is fairly fast,it’s not conserving fuel.

Returning to Seattle in a couple of weeks.

Do you think they may have had to take someone back to Seattle?

A pilot or someone that couldn’t fly ? It doesn’t make a lot of sense what ovation is doing.

Maybe they are just teasing us Australians .

6DFF455E-522A-43AA-959E-E72D6A46D08D.thumb.png.4a188d37316dc7f87ef928b7bef00782.png

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

It’s heading south again at 18.5 knots which is fairly fast,it’s not conserving fuel.

Returning to Seattle in a couple of weeks.

Do you think they may have had to take someone back to Seattle?

A pilot or someone that couldn’t fly ? It doesn’t make a lot of sense what ovation is doing.

Maybe they are just teasing us Australians .

6DFF455E-522A-43AA-959E-E72D6A46D08D.thumb.png.4a188d37316dc7f87ef928b7bef00782.png

I thought so too. - it. does not make a lot of sense to spend all that money on fuel going back and forth from California coast back to Seattle.

However when a ship goes into warm layup they need to file a plan with their home port and the coast guard and also make the ship available for marine vessel inspection on a periodic basis.

I think they need to demonstrate to the coast guard they are keeping the HVAC  systems on in the cabins and common spaces.  To control humidity levels in those spaces and the air ducts where diseases like legionnaires disease may propegate.  Also standard safety inspections like fire alarm systems boilers etc

I posted a statement from the Port of Seattle on another thread that seemed to be well coordinated with RCCL and the coast guard and listed November 12 and December 13 as scheduled provisioning stops at pier 66 in. Seattle.  The coast guard is on the waterfront in Seattle and within walking distance to the ship on those days for inspections.

But maybe the ship needs to come into Seattle on a two week basis for inspections.  Maybe someone here knows and can comment.

• Thanks 2

On 11/30/2021 at 12:25 PM, grayshark said:

I thought so too. - it. does not make a lot of sense to spend all that money on fuel going back and forth from California coast back to Seattle.

However when a ship goes into warm layup they need to file a plan with their home port and the coast guard and also make the ship available for marine vessel inspection on a periodic basis.

I think they need to demonstrate to the coast guard they are keeping the HVAC  systems on in the cabins and common spaces.  To control humidity levels in those spaces and the air ducts where diseases like legionnaires disease may propegate.  Also standard safety inspections like fire alarm systems boilers etc

I posted a statement from the Port of Seattle on another thread that seemed to be well coordinated with RCCL and the coast guard and listed November 12 and December 13 as scheduled provisioning stops at pier 66 in. Seattle.  The coast guard is on the waterfront in Seattle and within walking distance to the ship on those days for inspections.

But maybe the ship needs to come into Seattle on a two week basis for inspections.  Maybe someone here knows and can comment.

All very strange but wouldn’t San Francisco have all the facilities that Seattle has?

Coastguard, fuel and provisions.

14 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

All very strange but wouldn’t San Francisco have all the facilities that Seattle has?

Coastguard, fuel and provisions.

Hopefully the Coast Guard could make accommodations for Ovation down there since it appears RCCL would like to ride out the winter down there.

but I saw on the news a couple weeks ago that there are so many cargo ships anchored off the coast of California waiting to be off loaded that the U. S. Has asked shipping companies to delay or lay up ships elsewhere before departing for west coast ports. Mostly COVID related.

so maybe the coastguard down there has more than they can manage right now. I don’t really know.

I did see recently that NCL estimates the cost of cold lay up is US$3 million per month per ship.

with warm lay up being almost $4 million per month. So it is not cheap anywhere in the world.

5 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Love that this has taken on a "Where's Waldo" vibe.

or,

maybe Greta Garbo (I want to be alone)

Or maybe a game of wack-a-mole.

but  it looks like the pacific storms are holding the mallet chasing Ovation around.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

You would think ovation would start the Alaska season early or at least a west coast cruise before the season.

Weather likely won't allow for the former and RCI is very unlikely to add the latter this close in.

I think she goes back and forth for supplies and crew swapping.  Otherwise, the ship seems to like warmer weather down off coast of California and Northern Mexico.

Too bad they did not start ships to Hawaii and she could have been used for it.

Just go my crystal for my May 2019 cruise.  It was overlooked and I had to beg for it recently on Anthem.   Took 6 weeks to mail it and that is what they are doing now with all of them.

While she was docked at Pier 66 yesterday, I kept wishing they could make her into a hotel type situation until May. But I’m sure there are lots of rules and regulations for that. I sure wish cruises to nowhere were still doable. 
If her first sailing still remains May 5 2022, I realized I was on her last sailing of 2021, and will be on first sailing of 2022.

3 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

While she was docked at Pier 66 yesterday, I kept wishing they could make her into a hotel type situation until May. But I’m sure there are lots of rules and regulations for that. I sure wish cruises to nowhere were still doable. 
If her first sailing still remains May 5 2022, I realized I was on her last sailing of 2021, and will be on first sailing of 2022.

excellent.  You can keep an eye on her and report into cc once in a while.  

I believe Ovation is one a few ships in with no passengers or being used for a sick crew ship.

She is just dressed for a party and nowhere to go except up and down the coast.   Sad for such a great ship but you folks in WA kind of have her as a pet.

19 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

excellent.  You can keep an eye on her and report into cc once in a while.  

I believe Ovation is one a few ships in with no passengers or being used for a sick crew ship.

She is just dressed for a party and nowhere to go except up and down the coast.   Sad for such a great ship but you folks in WA kind of have her as a pet.

Here she was yesterday. It was my first time on a Quantum class ship in Oct., and I absolutely loved her.

EC3FDF92-130C-4B12-AA01-1A3C1A4272E2.png

Just now, crzndeb said:

Here she was yesterday. It was my first time on a Quantum class ship in Oct., and I absolutely loved her.

nice to see they let her new the town instead of the other place by Elliot Bay.  

If you get a chance, fly to Newark NJ and get on Anthem in the Fall or Spring.  Or try Odyssey in FLA.

Will be interesting to see if Quantum still comes to Seattle this summer for Alaska.  If so, try to get on her as well.  toodles

12 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Hi.

Just a little off - topic.

Is the Space Needle Back to normal now.

We are having 3 Nights per-cruise in Seattle in July and wanted to take our GrandDaughter for the Brunch.

Ian.

4 hours ago, mrpie90 said:

Hi.

Just a little off - topic.

Is the Space Needle Back to normal now.

We are having 3 Nights per-cruise in Seattle in July and wanted to take our GrandDaughter for the Brunch.

Ian.

I’m not really sure. It’s probably best to keep an eye on their website. With Omicron right now, I doubt things are normal, but July is still a few months away, and could be a totally different story.

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

She seems to be heading further south than San Diego.

Yes I think she was hanging out south of San Diego but in international waters maybe 100 miles off of Baja last time she was killing time down there.

I thought she might get an anchorage just off of San Diego where one or two of the Celebrity and RCI ships were anchored But she never did. Still over 3 months to kill before the start of summer season here in Seattle.