Recommended PCR Test 96 hrs prior question

NYAngie

What is the cost for a PCR test at CVS for the 96 hrs before cruising?  Does insurance cover it?  If your insurance does not cover for reasons of travel does the government cover it?  We have 6 of us traveling and have all been vaccinated and a booster shot but want to be sure before we leave home.   If we have to pay out of pocket for a PCR test that could add up.  We are in NYS and cruising on the EPIC January 9.  Thank you all for your help.

CVS and Walgreens ask a pre-testing questionnaire to see if you qualify for their free testing. So they won’t ask you again why you are testing; fill out the questionnaire and if they let you register it will either be picked up by your insurance or a government grant.

I don't think the questionnaire specifically asks about travel, but I seem to think there was a question about "Are you getting a test to insure that you are not spreading covid to a group?"  Or something along those lines or that you've been around or plan to be around large groups of people.  If you answer those types of questions as yes the test should be free.  But you may only qualify for an antigen test which is also acceptable to NCL.

Good luck and enjoy!

The CVS around us schedule 2 weeks in advance. You don’t have to lie to get a free test. Walgreens schedules a few day in advance. My local hospital schedules 6 weeks in advance with similar questions for free testing. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Just to be certain if our cruise embarks late Sunday we can get a PCR test done on Wednesday to meet the 96 hour pre test? That is how I am reading it. 

Has anyone used the rapid ID Now test offered by Walgreens? Anyone know if that is accepted by NCL? Reading online it says it is better than an Antigen test, but not as good as a PCR.