Mobility scooter range when ashore ?

fossilraf

I am considering buying a foldable mobility scooter that the Blurb says will do 10Km per charge.

I am less than 100Kg so weight is not an issue.

My fear is getting stranded somewhere away from the ship though realistically I will either be on a tour or self exploring relatively local to the port. 

Lots of posts about aboard ship use but I can find no comments on usage ashore in relation to range.

My question is, do folk find that sufficient or do you carry a spare battery when using it for shore excursions ?

Question 2:  Airlines say you can carry on a spare battery if less than 300KWhr does this mean you can take primary battery AND  another ?

The airline wording is a little ambiguous and contacting them they just quote the document wording.

Any real life users had problems or suggestions ?

I do miles and pounds so can't help with those. I have found that I can go much farther when the terrain is flat. I had a travelscoot scooter that I could reliably take for about 8 miles (4 miles out and 4 miles back) before needing to recharge. I did always take my charger with me in case I needed to charge while out. For the airlines, I took a separate bag so I could remove the batteries at the plane entry and carry them into the cabin. My batteries were lithium and were prohibited from the hold.

I now use a fold and go electric wheelchair (completely collapses) which I really like. It has gone well over 10 miles and up and down some hills without running low on power. It also has lithium batteries but they go into a metal case and are approved by the FAA for storage in the hold.

Edited by katisdale
  • Like 1

Thank you, 10Km is around 6 Miles and 100Kg is around 220lb for those still on imperial measures.

Guess I am just an old man being paranoid but as a solo traveler I like to be prepared and reduce the anxiety levels.

Perhaps I should take my Avatar with me. 😄

Edited by fossilraf
removed failed image

My main battery does around 13k, it’s 274 whatever’s, my spare which I have taken as well on flights, is a bit less but I’ve never had to use it. There is some variation on different airlines allowances for lithium batteries so it’s worth double checking this with your airline if you want to take a backup. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 3:58 PM, fossilraf said:

I am considering buying a foldable mobility scooter that the Blurb says will do 10Km per charge.

I am less than 100Kg so weight is not an issue.

My fear is getting stranded somewhere away from the ship though realistically I will either be on a tour or self exploring relatively local to the port. 

Lots of posts about aboard ship use but I can find no comments on usage ashore in relation to range.

My question is, do folk find that sufficient or do you carry a spare battery when using it for shore excursions ?

Question 2:  Airlines say you can carry on a spare battery if less than 300KWhr does this mean you can take primary battery AND  another ?

The airline wording is a little ambiguous and contacting them they just quote the document wording.

Any real life users had problems or suggestions ?

1. Foldable mobility scooter = usually Lithium battery, which holds longer ranges, and more power per size, and often times can recharge completely within 2 hours or if in a pinch, 30 minutes to get you go where you are going. 

2. My wife uses it, and I learned the hard way, that you must always carry a spare battery and have used it on more than one occasion.

3, Hills and many other factors will shave off distance in the end.  

4. Wife's batteries are 96kwhr each and travel scooters are usually 24 volts, and not the normal 48 for bigger chairs.  So, yes, you should be able to have both batteries on any airline.....(except China but that is a whole different story).  

5. I have traveled several international airlines and international countries, and never had an issue with 2 battery Lithium packs.  (except China). 

6. Always tell the airlines what you have....and if connecting flights with different airlines, make sure both connecting flights know.  

7.  If airline, the airline always want you to carry the battery with you inside the cabin, so have a carry bag for it.  (except JAL that will store it for you, and China, which has too many rules to discuss). 

Simply put, Lithium is ok, two batteries are ok if under 300, carry on and removeable, and NOTIFY the airlines!

Thank you Joseph, I wasn't sure if each battery could be 300WHr or the combination of 2 batteries = 300.

I certainly would feel more comfortable carrying a spare 300 battery.

I have heard horror stories re China travel and batteries so that is not on my radar.

All I need now is for NZ to permit cruise ships 😬

3 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

1. Foldable mobility scooter = usually Lithium battery, which holds longer ranges, and more power per size, and often times can recharge completely within 2 hours or if in a pinch, 30 minutes to get you go where you are going. 

2. My wife uses it, and I learned the hard way, that you must always carry a spare battery and have used it on more than one occasion.

3, Hills and many other factors will shave off distance in the end.  

4. Wife's batteries are 96kwhr each and travel scooters are usually 24 volts, and not the normal 48 for bigger chairs.  So, yes, you should be able to have both batteries on any airline.....(except China but that is a whole different story).  

5. I have traveled several international airlines and international countries, and never had an issue with 2 battery Lithium packs.  (except China). 

6. Always tell the airlines what you have....and if connecting flights with different airlines, make sure both connecting flights know.  

7.  If airline, the airline always want you to carry the battery with you inside the cabin, so have a carry bag for it.  (except JAL that will store it for you, and China, which has too many rules to discuss). 

Simply put, Lithium is ok, two batteries are ok if under 300, carry on and removeable, and NOTIFY the airlines!

I totally agree with all you've said.  As for China....

In China we were held up for 2 hours at check in because they didn't know what to do with us and my husbands scooter.  They called "everyone" and finally said that we couldn't drive up to the gate and made us take the scooter to the oversize luggage dept.  Then they took us to the gate by wheelchair.  When we arrived in LAX the scooter was wrapped up so tight in plastic that we couldn't even open it.  Finally someone came to help us and had a scissors to unwrap the plastic.   I don't remember if we took the batteries with us or not, but we always did carry them on the plane with us.  That was 2012 in Beijing.  I had hoped that they had learned a few things by now....

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 5:29 PM, CRUISEWITHH said:

I totally agree with all you've said.  As for China....

In China we were held up for 2 hours at check in because they didn't know what to do with us and my husbands scooter.  They called "everyone" and finally said that we couldn't drive up to the gate and made us take the scooter to the oversize luggage dept.  Then they took us to the gate by wheelchair.  When we arrived in LAX the scooter was wrapped up so tight in plastic that we couldn't even open it.  Finally someone came to help us and had a scissors to unwrap the plastic.   I don't remember if we took the batteries with us or not, but we always did carry them on the plane with us.  That was 2012 in Beijing.  I had hoped that they had learned a few things by now....

Nope, they did not learn.  First time, 48 volt dry cell batteries, they said it was too big, but the airline approved it, and it was the standard size.  Actually told, this is China,, our rules, not airlines. Took a manager to get it approved from the airlines, after a very heated exchange with them.  Second time, exiting the country, I had one lithium, and one back up dry cell, and well, below the "China Limit", and they still held us up two hours for approval because apparently, it was two sets of batteries.  Next time, I will take two batteries, one Lithium and Dry Cell.  The dry cell, which is pretty cheap batteries, I will just toss it, and eat the cost.  They don't last long, and it is only back up.