The end of Set (Traditional Dining) on Princess?

Smokeyham

Hello,

I've been watching some Gary Bembridge videos and also reading on CruiseCritic about the Dining My Way program.   

Am I understanding correctly that, apart from Suite or Club Class guests, there will no longer be set/traditional dining where you can choose the time (early or late seating) and always be at the same assigned table with the same wait staff?  I did look at the Princess website (https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/dine-my-way/) which does mention that you can have the same waitstaff and that "Previous dining selections (including traditional dining) will be honored."  

I understand that that traditional dining has become less popular over the years as most prefer the flexibility to choose their dining times and venues.   I do wonder how this will impact solo cruisers who may enjoy the opportunity to meet, and get to know, other cruisers through a shared series of dinners.

Thanks for any thoughts, especially if you have recently experienced the Dine My Way program.

Edited by Smokeyham

29 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

Hello,

I've been watching some Gary Bembridge videos and also reading on CruiseCritic about the Dining My Way program.   

Am I understanding correctly that, apart from Suite or Club Class guests, there will no longer be set/traditional dining where you can choose the time (early or late seating) and always be at the same assigned table with the same wait staff?  I did look at the Princess website (https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/dine-my-way/) which does mention that you can have the same waitstaff and that "Previous dining selections (including traditional dining) will be honored."  

I understand that that traditional dining has become less popular over the years as most prefer the flexibility to choose their dining times and venues.   I do wonder how this will impact solo cruisers who may enjoy the opportunity to meet, and get to know, other cruisers through a shared series of dinners.

Thanks for any thoughts, especially if you have recently experienced the Dine My Way program.

I got off the regal princess yesterday and I found that if we reserved the same dining room at the same time each night they would sit us at the same table and give us the same serving team. We didn’t figure this out at first. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Lizabu said:

I got off the regal princess yesterday and I found that if we reserved the same dining room at the same time each night they would sit us at the same table and give us the same serving team. We didn’t figure this out at first. 

Thanks for that!   

Do you know if they will still seat strangers together and those people will be assigned the same table for the rest of voyage (as in the traditional dining situation)?

4 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

Thanks for that!   

Do you know if they will still seat strangers together and those people will be assigned the same table for the rest of voyage (as in the traditional dining situation)?

I’m sorry. I don’t know. We had 7 people in our party and had a table all to ourselves every night.

1 hour ago, Smokeyham said:

No. That part of traditional dining is dead. The only part that has survived somewhat is the ability to have the same table, same waiters, and same time every night for your traveling party. 

My preference when sailing solo, as I am right now, is for anytime dining. So the demise of traditional dining hasn't really hit me yet.

And traditional dining was not less popular over the past few years. There was such a demand for it that Princess had to turn one of the anytime dining rooms into a traditional first seating on most ships. It opened up to anytime dining after that seating was over.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure that if you prefer to eat early or late (5:15 or 7:45 PM), you can request the same waiters and if others agree to eat with you on a nightly basis, you could arrange that as well.  It's just during that 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM, you may find a hard time seeing anything like traditional dining.  But, while capacity is limited, the head waiter and hostess always found us a table with our favorite waiters.  

Just now, wowzz said:

19:45 is not late ! That is peak time on European cruises. 20:45 would be late. 

19:45 gives the early birds time to eat and leave the table, which is what I meant about late.  We used to go eat right before they closed the dining room ... but that was years ago.  Now, we prefer to eat between 6:00 and 6:30 PM and oftentimes, the guests that sit down at 5:00 - 5:30 PM are still at the table we may want.  But, if we find a waiter we really like, we are willing to wait.  

4 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Thanks for that!   

If you select Shared table when booking in DMW, yes.   But you don't get to select table size.  If you are a walk up to the DR you can ask Share or not.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Hello,

That bit about prev dining requests being honored was a note in regards to all existing bookings that existed when they attempted to bring DMW live and convert all the pre-existing bookings.  That was a big miss as they basically assigned each couple in a cabin to own table who had requested some TD.  But it was like they put everyone at 5pm or 7:20.  Anyway, I cannot explain it all.  But it is impossible to know now exactly what they are doing before you see the result on board.

2 hours ago, geoherb said:

No. That part of traditional dining is dead. The only part that has survived somewhat is the ability to have the same table, same waiters, and same time every night for your traveling party. 

My preference when sailing solo, as I am right now, is for anytime dining. So the demise of traditional dining hasn't really hit me yet.

And traditional dining was not less popular over the past few years. There was such a demand for it that Princess had to turn one of the anytime dining rooms into a traditional first seating on most ships. It opened up to anytime dining after that seating was over.

Folks have reported sharing tables on various Live From reports.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I'm pretty sure that if you prefer to eat early or late (5:15 or 7:45 PM), you can request the same waiters and if others agree to eat with you on a nightly basis, you could arrange that as well.  It's just during that 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM, you may find a hard time seeing anything like traditional dining.  But, while capacity is limited, the head waiter and hostess always found us a table with our favorite waiters.  

Princess has documented that TD Early and Late times fit DMW offerings at 5:00, 5:20, 5:40, 7:00, 7:20, 7:40.  It was all about aligning with main evg entertainment.  

2 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Folks have reported sharing tables on various Live From reports.

Yes. People can be seated at shared tables at dinner. But unless all of them make a point to ask for their random group of strangers to have the same table at the same time, it's not like traditional dining. It's like anytime dining at a shared table--like it has been at breakfast and lunch. 

4 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Princess has documented that TD Early and Late times fit DMW offerings at 5:00, 5:20, 5:40, 7:00, 7:20, 7:40.  It was all about aligning with main evg entertainment.  

Interesting.  I've been on 4 cruises since the restart and since we like to eat between 6:00 and 6:20 PM, we've never noticed they have TD dining.  

Just now, geoherb said:

Yes. People can be seated at shared tables at dinner. But unless all of them make a point to ask for their random group of strangers to have the same table at the same time, it's not like traditional dining. It's like anytime dining at a sha

red table--like it has been at breakfast and lunch. 

Oh.. I see what you mean.  Yes, I do not believe for one minute that DMW or team behind scenes is putting same people at same table each night who elected Share.  Although they should IF the guests booked Same Time Same Table for full voyage.  IDK how many people end up doing something on an individual night or two, but that would mess up DMW for sure.  Individual night bookings are separated from full cruise bookings.

Bottom line... IMO, a human being such as DORO should be arranging TD bookings from dedicated table inventory as it is highy complex and almost impossible for a computer program to do it successfully.  To that end, my understanding is someones in background close to sail date work on physical table assignments.

2 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Interesting.  I've been on 4 cruises since the restart and since we like to eat between 6:00 and 6:20 PM, we've never noticed they have TD dining.  

AFAIK, they scrapped dedicated DR space and have TD folks mixed with AT folks.  I have no issue with that as long as they can faithfully reproduce the TD experience for those that want it.  IDC whether the next table to us is TD or changes up each night with AT folks.

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

AFAIK, they scrapped dedicated DR space and have TD folks mixed with AT folks.  I have no issue with that as long as they can faithfully reproduce the TD experience for those that want it.  IDC whether the next table to us is TD or changes up each night with AT folks.

We've thought that the DMW reservations have improved our dining experience by 1000%!  I understand others may want the traditional dining experience but, for someone that hasn't really cared for it, it is so nice to eat at the time of evening that works for us and not having to share a table with other guests outside of our party.  

7 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We've thought that the DMW reservations have improved our dining experience by 1000%!  I understand others may want the traditional dining experience but, for someone that hasn't really cared for it, it is so nice to eat at the time of evening that works for us and not having to share a table with other guests outside of our party.  

Cannot disagree.  I think DMW is probably close to excellent for AT.  I also suspect it may be functioning better than at first, but it is hard to see that from sitting at home and trying to get a Private Table at the same time for all nights for us and travel companions - and keep it through re-farez and other changes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Cannot disagree.  I think DMW is probably close to excellent for AT.  I also suspect it may be functioning better than at first, but it is hard to see that from sitting at home and trying to get a Private Table at the same time for all nights for us and travel companions - and keep it through re-farez and other changes. 

I've refared on my Alaska cruise for next summer twice and our reservations for dinners with two other booking numbers have remained intact.  Of course, I got those reservations in very early.  And, the key is to link those other booking numbers in our app.  

2 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I've refared on my Alaska cruise for next summer twice and our reservations for dinners with two other booking numbers have remained intact.  Of course, I got those reservations in very early.  And, the key is to link those other booking numbers in our app.  

Yes, but if a re-fare of one booking resulted in getting a new booking number, then any linked bookings as in a B2B will still hold their res, but the new booking needs DMW setup again.

In order to do it properly, you need to delete each night one-by-one for the other voyage such that DMW is void of any res, and then re-book for full voyage.  If you were looking for full voyage booking, has to be re-done this way or System doesn't know you want that full voyage experience.

If you just have three unconnected bookings, then NP if change one as the others are unaffected.

• Like 1

I have Club Class on my upcoming (2 weeks and 2 days; not that I'm counting!) cruise, and I gather that's more like AD than TD anyway, so it is what it is.  But after this, I'm very hesitant about future cruises.  Sailing solo, having the same dinner companions each night was important to me.  I absolute hated the times I had to do Anytime -- the same boring starter conversations every single night with a rotating group of people who never became anything more than strangers -- it was nightmarish.  If Princess can't figure out a way to recreate the TD experience of same cohort at the same table for those of us who want it, I may have to reconsider my loyalty and jump ship to Cunard or HAL.  Meanwhile, for this cruise, I'm just reconciling myself to 16 nights of dinner with just me and my Kindle.  At least I can order two appetizers and not have to worry about judgey looks!

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, rdsqrl said:

I have Club Class on my upcoming (2 weeks and 2 days; not that I'm counting!) cruise, and I gather that's more like AD than TD anyway, so it is what it is.  But after this, I'm very hesitant about future cruises.  Sailing solo, having the same dinner companions each night was important to me.  I absolute hated the times I had to do Anytime -- the same boring starter conversations every single night with a rotating group of people who never became anything more than strangers -- it was nightmarish.  If Princess can't figure out a way to recreate the TD experience of same cohort at the same table for those of us who want it, I may have to reconsider my loyalty and jump ship to Cunard or HAL.  Meanwhile, for this cruise, I'm just reconciling myself to 16 nights of dinner with just me and my Kindle.  At least I can order two appetizers and not have to worry about judgey looks!

Maybe you will find some companions in CC who want similar.  No reason you couldn't arrange to come at same time and let CC in-charge know what you want.  Princess is often quite accommodating on the ships.  I wish often they had some of the ship people running HQ office.

• Like 1