Cunard protocol if a passenger tests positive whilst on a voyage?

mcloaked

There is a question I am finding it rather hard to get the answer to.  If a passenger who has completed all the pre-boarding requirements, and testing, and has no evidence of contact  with a positive covid patient, and no positive test results at the time of boarding, but then some time later, during a voyage, tests positive, but has no symptoms, what is the Cunard protocol for dealing with such a passenger?  Presume he/she would be required to isolate in their stateroom?  The question then arises as to what happens after that, if there are several ports of call remaining before the ship returns to Southampton - specifically, would the passenger be permitted to remain quarantined in their stateroom, and continue to take tests all the way back to Southampton, and if they reach a point where they have a negative test, would they be allowed to return to normal passenger activities at their choosing within the ship, or would they be required to disembark at the next port of call and make their own way back home within whatever regulations are in place in the port of call and along any travel route, such as by air, back home?

The question should be 'why are you being tested in the middle of the cruise if you are not symptomatic?'  Does a port require extra testing?  Or has another guest become symptomatic, tested positive, and you are a close contact?  I'm not aware of this happening yet, so there may be something in the passage contract, but no anecdotal situations to report.  EM

• Like 1

So if an asymptomatic passneger tests positive on board the passenger, their cabin comapnions and contacts will be moved into quarantine cabins. What happens next will depend on the post authorities. At the moment port authorities in Spain are insisting that infected passengers are removed and hosptitalised if needed or put into a quarantine hotel for 10 days if they are well enough. (Why would the Spanish authorities want covid in their hopitals and quarantine hotels? I have no idea)There are threads about this on the P&O pages ('Cruise Cancellation') and also on Iona pages on the book of the face. 

Just to clarify, recently on Iona contacts who shared a dining table with some one who tested positive on board had to go into quarantine on the ship. 4 people with covid were taken off the ship in Palma aand are recovering well.  I do not know what the policy of other countries is.

If a ship arrives at a port of call where for whatever reason a passenger is symptomless but has a positive test - surely it would be the ship's protocol that would govern whether he/she was required to disembark?  Such a passenger would not be in need of medical treatment so presume would be required to stay in some isolation facility despite not being unwell. In that case who carried responsibility for paying for the the costs?  Would the passenger's spouse then also be required to disembark if he/she tested negative - and if so could they opt to also get off and then be covered for costs on their travel insurance? With the rapid rise of Omicron this is more likely to be a possibility in the coming weeks and months.  I think that these questions justifiably need to be answered by Cunard so that passengers can asses the possible financial risk in the unlikely event that it actually happens to them and make suitable decisions about booking cruises in the coming year or so.

I agree with mcloaked that Cunard needs to be far more specific with the policy and spell out what would happen if. . . .

In November we did a NYC to Bermuda cruise on Crystal Cruises and their policy, as well as Bermuda gvoernment's policy, was spelt out in detail as to what would happen in the types of situations mentioned here.

As for travel insurance covering costs, it will depend on your policy.  I know mine would cover everything if I tested postive and a physician said I needed to quarantine and/or receive treatment.  However, if my travel companion had not tested positive, they would not be covered if ordered into a quarantine hotel.  So I receommend everyone get the specific information they need from their own travel insurance provider.

11 hours ago, mcloaked said:

If a ship arrives at a port of call where for whatever reason a passenger is symptomless but has a positive test - surely it would be the ship's protocol that would govern whether he/she was required to disembark?  

Unfortunately the port authorities have the final say. Over on the P&O board this was discussed on the Covid on Iona thread. Why the port authorities would want people in their country with covid is anybody's guess. 

1 hour ago, comcox said:

.However, if my travel companion had not tested positive, they would not be covered if ordered into a quarantine hotel.  So I receommend everyone get the specific information they need from their own travel insurance provider.

You are correct. This has been discussed on the P&O threads Covid on Iona and Caribbean Quarantine. If you look for Megabear's posts, you can see she has done a huge amount of work on this issue. The final answer is that P&O ( and Cunard UK as they share a management team) will ensure a quarantined travel companion who does not have Covid will not be out of pocket.