Can US citizens get an EU Digital COVID Certificate?

safeman

We're US citizens booked on a Viking Venus British Isles Explorer for July 29, 2022. The cruise embarks from Bergen. I've been reading about countries, like Norway, reopening but requiring quarantine upon entry unless you "produce a verifiable COVID-19 certificate with a QR code that can be verified by the Norwegian authorities". The only legal COVID-19 certificate issued by the CDC is the white paper card. Some USA states and local municipalities have a digital passport but they're not linked to a national system. I believe that Norway accepts the EU Digital COVID Certificate (EUDCC). If you scroll down the EUDCC page that I listed there are several non-EU countries, such as Singapore and New Zealand,  that have applied and received approval for the EUDCC. USA is not listed and the reference to US citizens getting the EUDCC on this page from October 28, 2021 is vague. We will most likely be landing in Bergen and proceed directly to the ship via Viking transfer. We are scheduled to be in port for the next day and then depart for the rest of our cruise.

Questions:

Will the USA actually apply to be included in the EUDCC between now and July? I'm not sure if Norway is the only country that has these restrictions.

Will being on the ship be considered part of our quarantine?

Will we be able to use a Viking "excursion bubble" to tour Bergen the next day?

I know the situation is in constant flux especially as waves of the surges come and go. Just trying to do the best we can to plan ahead.

No its only available to people vaccinated in the EU.  We do not have EU documents in the UK but when doing the entry forms for a country we select a different box and upload our NHS pass details.  However, I think it is still open to debate what is accepted from the USA as the information on the paperwork may not be verifiable - ours is as it is on our government records

As you are going in July a lot is going to change I am sure

We have a Midnight Sun cruise in July as well.  I see some scenarios:

• The Boosters are doing their job and the US has full access before 120 day threshold.
  • Cancel before the 120 day and get your cash for the most flexibility.
  • Viking jiggers the itinerary and we go someplace completely different like they did with Hawaii.
  • Wait till a few days before and use the Risk Free Voucher Offer but that has a lot of gotchas.
  • Hope Viking cancels the cruise or the US passengers and get a refund.

I am leaning towards the 120 day cancel option if things are not clear at that point.

57 minutes ago, uktog said:

However, I think it is still open to debate what is accepted from the USA as the information on the paperwork may not be verifiable - ours is as it is on our government records

As you are going in July a lot is going to change I am sure

Yes I am crossing my fingers that these things will be worked out. So far USA said it is not interested in a nationwide digital certification of vaccination.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, zalusky said:

We have a Midnight Sun cruise in July as well.  I see some scenarios:

• The Boosters are doing their job and the US has full access before 120 day threshold.
  • Cancel before the 120 day and get your cash for the most flexibility.
  • Viking jiggers the itinerary and we go someplace completely different like they did with Hawaii.
  • Wait till a few days before and use the Risk Free Voucher Offer but that has a lot of gotchas.
  • Hope Viking cancels the cruise or the US passengers and get a refund.

I am leaning towards the 120 day cancel option if things are not clear at that point.

Hi Zalusky - I agree with your scenarios. We also would probably opt for the 120 day threshold and get the refund. While the Risk Free Voucher sounds great on the surface you are tying up your money for the allotted time. But on the other hand there are other British Isle Explorer cruises that embark in April. Hopefully before then things will become clearer. Our 120 day threshold is on March 31. For April 1 the 120 days expired on December 2, 2021! Just the way it is in the real world today.

3 hours ago, Buffyr said:

We think Verifly can provide the necessary proof. We used them on our Panama Canal cruise and they produce a QR code verifying your vaccination status. 

BuffyR - Verifly definitely has a QR code. But right now the certificate is only accepted by Viking, Aer Lingus, American Airlines, British Airways, Japan Airlines, ZIPAIR, Malta and "Other" (Other is by invitation only?). Will they work with Norway in the future? That's the big question.

22 minutes ago, zalusky said:

The big question is will Norway open up to the US before the 120 day mark.

Zalusky - That's the million dollar question!

36 minutes ago, zalusky said:

The big question is will Norway open up to the US before the 120 day mark.

If they do change their quarantine rules it might not be in time for the 120 day mark for our cruise and yours.

3 hours ago, KBs mum said:

UK regulations are changing again, and are likely to increase over winter. If you want to do a non Viking extension in the UK you will be affected. 

Viking extensions may be in bubbles. 

www.gov.uk

Thanks for the heads-up KBs mum!

So...I may have discovered a solution to the QR code requirement for Norway.  There is a site called MY IR Mobile www.myirmobile.com.  It is only available for some states and those who used a program called SAFE Return to Work.  When you register they contact your state Department of Health and upload all your immunization records.  Once they have done that they will contact you and you can log in and see all your records, including an option to get certified Covid 19 records.  When you click on that you get a QR code!

The states that are eligible are: Arizona, DC, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Dakota, Washington, West Virgina, and the SAFE program.

I don't know if this will satisfy Norway, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

According to the VeriFLY website, "VeriFLY is used with Viking Cruises to confirm that you have a valid Covid-19 vaccination before travelling". So does Norway not accept the information from VeriFLY and if not why would Viking Cruises require guests to use VeriFLY?

12 hours ago, Buffyr said:

So...I may have discovered a solution to the QR code requirement for Norway.  There is a site called MY IR Mobile www.myirmobile.com.  It is only available for some states and those who used a program called SAFE Return to Work.  When you register they contact your state Department of Health and upload all your immunization records.  Once they have done that they will contact you and you can log in and see all your records, including an option to get certified Covid 19 records.  When you click on that you get a QR code!

The states that are eligible are: Arizona, DC, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Dakota, Washington, West Virgina, and the SAFE program.

I don't know if this will satisfy Norway, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

If the US government as a whole cannot come up with a digital certificate that works with the EU Covid Certificate individual states can? I will check with the Wisconsin DHS.

On 12/10/2021 at 7:20 AM, Buffyr said:

Thanks for this post.  I was aware of the myir.net digital data base in AZ, but the link I have been using goes to a site where you can view all your vaccination back more than a decade even my yellow fever vax when you had to get it every 10 years.  I could also download a pdf of the list, but there was no link for a QR code for rthe COVID vax.  Because of your post, i realized that there is a second myir site, myirmobile,  which has a completely different interface and provides a more detailed list of vaxes that include vax manufacturer, when known.  And it has the link to download a  QR code for the COVID vax.  Access required a different sign in account, but it worked beautifully.  Thanks again.

2 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Thanks for this post.  I was aware of the myir.net digital data base in AZ, but the link I have been using goes to a site where you can view all your vaccination back more than a decade even my yellow fever vax when you had to get it every 10 years.  I could also download a pdf of the list, but there was no link for a QR code for rthe COVID vax.  Because of your post, i realized that there is a second myir site, myirmobile,  which has a completely different interface and provides a more detailed list of vaxes that include vax manufacturer, when known.  And it has the link to download a  QR code for the COVID vax.  Access required a different sign in account, but it worked beautifully.  Thanks again.

You’re welcome!

On 12/10/2021 at 8:34 PM, safeman said:

If the US government as a whole cannot come up with a digital certificate that works with the EU Covid Certificate individual states can? I will check with the Wisconsin DHS.

The US can come up with a system, but there is no plan to do so because the mere mention of anything that could be construed as a vaccine passport induces paroxysms of hysteria among certain elements of its citizenry. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Babr said:

The US can come up with a system, but there is no plan to do so because the mere mention of anything that could be construed as a vaccine passport induces paroxysms of hysteria among certain elements of its citizenry. 

Yea we don't have national IDs either which would also be a big shouting match.

The closest thing is a Social Security Number but that has no pictures and is ripe with problems and not used except for financial purposes.  They recently disallowed it for purposes of identification that a lot of medical groups used.

2 hours ago, Babr said:

2 hours ago, zalusky said:

Yea we don't have national IDs either which would also be a big shouting match.

The closest thing is a Social Security Number but that has no pictures and is ripe with problems and not used except for financial purposes.  They recently disallowed it for purposes of identification that a lot of medical groups used.

I agree with both of you. Our promised adventure may be a pipedream at this point. 

12 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Can you post the specific website for the QR code in Arizona. I am Vaxed and Boosted in Az and got garbage from the first website you mentioned. But have not heard of the second. Got both Vax at State Farm Stadium and it was the Az Dept of Health that sponsored those huge drive in events. Was Boosted at Walgreens and that info in not to be found anywhere but the initial email thank me and my Vax CDC card. This is a ***** show and I’m not seeing a way of verifying my Vax thru any system. Heaven help us if we loose our CDC cards!

Edited by JVilleGal

8 hours ago, JVilleGal said:

Can you post the specific website for the QR code in Arizona. I am Vaxed and Boosted in Az and got garbage from the first website you mentioned. But have not heard of the second. Got both Vax at State Farm Stadium and it was the Az Dept of Health that sponsored those huge drive in events. Was Boosted at Walgreens and that info in not to be found anywhere but the initial email thank me and my Vax CDC card. This is a ***** show and I’m not seeing a way of verifying my Vax thru any system. Heaven help us if we loose our CDC cards!

It’s My IR Mobile www.MyIR mobile.com. Once you register they will contact DHS and get all your vaccination records, not just Covid. After you’ve been notified that they have your records you can log on and there’s an option to get certified Covid vaccination records, which is a QR code. It’s pretty slick and really there’s no reason another government wouldn’t accept it. 

Other states also have access to My IR and I think they are working to add more. 

I hope this helps!

8 hours ago, JVilleGal said:

Have you tried contacting Walgreen’s?  Our boosters from CVS are listed in My IR.