Cost Saving Measures

rbslos18

On Venus now.  No visible cost savings measures. To the contrary, Viking spending much more money to ensure heath: Hand washing stations at entrance to buffet/World cafe, hand sanitizing dispensers installed into walls of many, many public areas, masks and bottles of hand sanitizer in your cabin.  (Asked for additional masks, and were delivered immediately, no problem, or questions asked), daily PCR saliva tests (in cabin every morning), more surfaces cleaned regularly, full size motorcoaches for tours, with less than half pax  capacity (utilizing many more coaches and guides).  We feel very safe, and have remained healthy.

• Like 9

Dining room tables in main restaurant and Manfredi's are not used for guests, to allow for distancing ( but all tables are set, to look normal).  Cannot notice any food cost cutbacks.  Prime rib, filet, Norwegian salmon, crab, shrimp, etc. all available.  1st Viking, but restaurant menus similar to website example. Manfredi's menu exactly same as website.  Every item we ordered was available.  Very delicious, and artfully plated and presented.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bbtondo said:

In my experience on the Viking Sea Nov 1st Iconic Med cruise, I felt that there was cost savings in the WC due to some food quality issues.  This was just my experience.  

Could you give specific examples, thanks

I have been on the Jupiter since 10/31 and have noticed nothing different in the quality of the meals since we got onboard since our last trip in Jan 2020.  We have had lobster and prime rib/tenderloin regularly, king crab and shrimp are still out.  The sushi bar is still getting a lot of business with lots of excellent sushi.    

The main thing different is that there is ALWAYS staff stationed at the entrance to all public rooms to make sure you sanitize/wash before entering.  

• Like 3

Mich might want to check out the spirits availability.  About half of the "good stuff" was "not available", either in Torshavn or in the regular bars.  Ballantine 15 is listed, they had 12.  Other items were also "not available", including some beers and wines.

Cutting back on the variety of items may or not be cost cutting, but it most assuredly says "you are not getting what we normally offer".  And coincidentally, the items tended to be near the top of the Silver Spirits included items.  We report, you decide.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Mich might want to check out the spirits availability.  About half of the "good stuff" was "not available", either in Torshavn or in the regular bars.  Ballantine 15 is listed, they had 12.  Other items were also "not available", including some beers and wines.

Cutting back on the variety of items may or not be cost cutting, but it most assuredly says "you are not getting what we normally offer".  And coincidentally, the items tended to be near the top of the Silver Spirits included items.  We report, you decide.

DH pays more attention to this than I do, and he has been drinking Bowmore 15, and said he saw Ballantine 15 too.  I know DH has also made a serious dent in their Remy.
I will say that the wines offered at WC and The Restaurant have been better than usual.  Normally we will find a wine we like from the bar and drink that at dinner.  We have been drinking more of their included offerings on this trip.  
Also consider that it might not be cost, but availability for Viking at ANY cost.

• Like 1