Antigen test same day as flight? Am I being neurotic?

Froufie

So here is our current situation - we fly out on a Monday afternoon on a (so far) direct flight  - our current plan is to get the antigen test THAT MORNING (have a 9 am appt) and use it to a) get on the flight that afternoon and b) get on the ship on Wednesday morning.

I am getting a bit neurotic about something going wrong on the monday morning and us not being able to get on the flight at 2 pm.

Questions:

1)  how long/hard is it to upload our (hopefully) negative test results on the Monday morning - will already be stressed out re getting up to get the test done and getting home to close up the suitcases and make our way to the airport!!!

2) is there any restriction on how often/how many antigens tests one can get?  (does anyone even care?)....

...cuz here is my current back up plan (to allow me to sleep on the Sunday night?  LOL) which means taking TWO antigen tests in 2 days....

I am thinking of:

1) booking an antigen test on the Sunday afternoon - this would a) allow me to hopefully sleep and reduce stress/anxiety the night before departure and b) would be ONLY used to board the plan on Monday afternoon (allowing time to get the results in and uploaded to arrive can app) 

2)still  keeping the 9 am appointment on the Monday morning - getting that test done and using those results ONLY to board the ship on Wednesday (and now if anything goes wrong we would still have the option of getting a test done in FLL pre-cruise or at the port or using our switch antigen test as a backup).

I know this will cost more (2 tests vs 1) but worth it for my peace of mind and stress reduction and should hopefully guarantee we are good to go for the flight (all this assuming negative results of course).

Anyone else as neurotic as I am?  Any reason this plan won't work?

Any comments greatly appreciated! 🙂

I think you are getting a little confused.  Your plan is fine but you can upload the Arrive Can app any time before you go & save the information but it is used only for coming back to Canada & the last day of the cruise when you get your PCR test you add the info to the Arrive Can app & it gives you a QR code which you may need to show when you arrive back in Ontario.   You need the Attestation form for going to the US which just shows that you have had the Antigen test before you go.  I would just go with plan A.on Monday morning as I would rather be in Canada if positive than Florida.  In Nov we actually booked 2 antigen tests about 2 hrs apart just to make sure I got one then after we had the 1st test we canc the 2nd.  We did our test at Shoppers & waited 15 min for results.  Try not to worry it’s not really that bad as it seems.  Have a great cruise.

Edited by If only
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Froufie said:

So here is our current situation - we fly out on a Monday afternoon on a (so far) direct flight  - our current plan is to get the antigen test THAT MORNING (have a 9 am appt) and use it to a) get on the flight that afternoon and b) get on the ship on Wednesday morning.

I am getting a bit neurotic about something going wrong on the monday morning and us not being able to get on the flight at 2 pm.

Questions:

1)  how long/hard is it to upload our (hopefully) negative test results on the Monday morning - will already be stressed out re getting up to get the test done and getting home to close up the suitcases and make our way to the airport!!!

2) is there any restriction on how often/how many antigens tests one can get?  (does anyone even care?)....

...cuz here is my current back up plan (to allow me to sleep on the Sunday night?  LOL) which means taking TWO antigen tests in 2 days....

I am thinking of:

1) booking an antigen test on the Sunday afternoon - this would a) allow me to hopefully sleep and reduce stress/anxiety the night before departure and b) would be ONLY used to board the plan on Monday afternoon (allowing time to get the results in and uploaded to arrive can app) 

2)still  keeping the 9 am appointment on the Monday morning - getting that test done and using those results ONLY to board the ship on Wednesday (and now if anything goes wrong we would still have the option of getting a test done in FLL pre-cruise or at the port or using our switch antigen test as a backup).

I know this will cost more (2 tests vs 1) but worth it for my peace of mind and stress reduction and should hopefully guarantee we are good to go for the flight (all this assuming negative results of course).

Anyone else as neurotic as I am?  Any reason this plan won't work?

Any comments greatly appreciated! 🙂

I understand your concern completely.   I went through that with a trip in November.  I had an early afternoon flight like you.   I considered getting two tests as well similar to your plan.  I ended up not doing it as it doubled the chance that I might get a false positive, which would have ended the trip.     My worry was that the pharmacist might call in sick or they may not be able to do the test at that location.  So I ended up booking two tests in the morning at two different locations.  Once I got the first test and results, I cancelled the other.  I felt bad about that, but felt this was the best way to mitigate my concerns.

We are booked to fly out early January for another trip.   I am not planning on do that again as I am now more comfortable with the process.

Good luck!  It is a great feeling once you get past security and on the ship so you can put your feet up and have a drink!

Edited by tert333
  • Like 2

i think having the Switch Health test as a back up to board your cruise is a great idea.

You would be in the U.S. and have access to your data, and possibly good wifi at a hotel to be able to do the test.

I also agree having two tests booked to board your plane is a good idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, If only said:

I think you are getting a little confused.  Your plan is fine but you can upload the Arrive Can app any time before you go & save the information but it is used only for coming back to Canada & the last day of the cruise when you get your PCR test you add the info to the Arrive Can app & it gives you a QR code which you may need to show when you arrive back in Ontario.   You need the Attestation form for going to the US which just shows that you have had the Antigen test before you go.  I would just go with plan A.on Monday morning as I would rather be in Canada if positive than Florida.  In Nov we actually booked 2 antigen tests about 2 hrs apart just to make sure I got one then after we had the 1st test we canc the 2nd.  We did our test at Shoppers & waited 15 min for results.  Try not to worry it’s not really that bad as it seems.  Have a great cruise.

I'm sorry you are right - I mean uploading any test results to 'leave' Canada - I have printed out the attestation form but understand it is usually ''provided' electronically upon check in now.  

I agree I would rather test positive here than in Florida -that does make sense.  I have booked the '1st 'test at 11:30 am on the sunday - allowing time to get the test...get home and check in for our 2 pm flight hopefully having all results/documents we need to do this!  Thanks for your input! 🙂

1 hour ago, tert333 said:

I understand your concern completely.   I went through that with a trip in November.  I had an early afternoon flight like you.   I considered getting two tests as well similar to your plan.  I ended up not doing it as it doubled the chance that I might get a false positive, which would have ended the trip.     My worry was that the pharmacist might call in sick or they may not be able to do the test at that location.  So I ended up booking two tests in the morning at two different locations.  Once I got the first test and results, I cancelled the other.  I felt bad about that, but felt this was the best way to mitigate my concerns.

We are booked to fly out early January for another trip.   I am not planning on do that again as I am now more comfortable with the process.

Good luck!  It is a great feeling once you get past security and on the ship so you can put your feet up and have a drink!

Glad to hear I am not the only 'worrier' LOL.  I keep thinking what if there is a bad snowstorm or blizzard or the car craps out or like the other day when our garage door cable broke and we couldn't get our cars out of the garage ( it is now fixed! 🙂 )....  I think I will rest easier once I have that 'first/sunday' test done and can relax and look forward to at the very least, boarding the plane ....thanks!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

i think having the Switch Health test as a back up to board your cruise is a great idea.

You would be in the U.S. and have access to your data, and possibly good wifi at a hotel to be able to do the test.

I also agree having two tests booked to board your plane is a good idea.

Will definitely pack the back up antigen test box....and I think we are moving forward with the two test protocol now!  LOL

• Like 1

The antigen test is easy peasy and quick.  If you are worried, I would just get it done the day before and relieve that stress and get it over with.  The other stress is "what if you are positive".

As for the electronic upload, you need it to fully check-in electronically but it can and will be checked at the airport as well for travel from Canada to the US.

On 12/13/2021 at 8:44 PM, Froufie said:

I'm sorry you are right - I mean uploading any test results to 'leave' Canada - I have printed out the attestation form but understand it is usually ''provided' electronically upon check in now.  

I agree I would rather test positive here than in Florida -that does make sense.  I have booked the '1st 'test at 11:30 am on the sunday - allowing time to get the test...get home and check in for our 2 pm flight hopefully having all results/documents we need to do this!  Thanks for your input! 🙂

What do you now have to fill out to leave Canada?

On 12/19/2021 at 7:53 AM, bill0021 said:

The antigen test is easy peasy and quick.  If you are worried, I would just get it done the day before and relieve that stress and get it over with.  The other stress is "what if you are positive".

As for the electronic upload, you need it to fully check-in electronically but it can and will be checked at the airport as well for travel from Canada to the US.

So technically my airline check in time is the afternoon before we are scheduled to get the test (next morning/day of flight) - does that mean we cannot check in at all?  or can we check in and upload test results the next day?  Or just bring results to the airport with us (the next day?).  Very confused!

2 hours ago, Froufie said:

So technically my airline check in time is the afternoon before we are scheduled to get the test (next morning/day of flight) - does that mean we cannot check in at all?  or can we check in and upload test results the next day?  Or just bring results to the airport with us (the next day?).  Very confused!

You can upload the tests when you have the results.  If you have problems, you can show the documents at the airport.  You can do the rest of the checkin process before having the test results.

Edited by bill0021

14 hours ago, bill0021 said:

You can upload the tests when you have the results.  If you have problems, you can show the documents at the airport.  You can do the rest of the checkin process before having the test results.

Thanks so much - good to relieve a bit of the 'stress' of travelling these day!

• Like 1