Learning to live with Covid for a couple more years OR surviving another Covid Cdn winter

3Shelaghs

More of a mantra or state of mind than a theory, but you have the right idea 😊. We also practice gratitude. Try counting your blessings rather than your problems. I am lucky to be retired so that I don’t have go outside if the weather is particularly bad. I also live in an apartment with underground parking, so no driveway to shovel or icy sidewalk to navigate. 

I was really looking forward to getting out of the winter this year after being stuck here last year but if it doesn’t happen, I will survive. And have more money saved to go away longer at the first opportunity!

Acceptance is the answer. Nothing I can do to alter the state of Covid in the world and the consequent travel restrictions and risks. Accept that things are the way they are and do the best I can. Find new TV series to watch. Silent Witness on Britbox has 23 seasons. That should take me at least until February 😁

good luck!

• Like 13

39 minutes ago, waiting2retire said:

More of a mantra or state of mind than a theory, but you have the right idea 😊. We also practice gratitude. Try counting your blessings rather than your problems. I am lucky to be retired so that I don’t have go outside if the weather is particularly bad. I also live in an apartment with underground parking, so no driveway to shovel or icy sidewalk to navigate. 

I was really looking forward to getting out of the winter this year after being stuck here last year but if it doesn’t happen, I will survive. And have more money saved to go away longer at the first opportunity!

Acceptance is the answer. Nothing I can do to alter the state of Covid in the world and the consequent travel restrictions and risks. Accept that things are the way they are and do the best I can. Find new TV series to watch. Silent Witness on Britbox has 23 seasons. That should take me at least until February 😁

good luck!

Thank you!  Your positive words are exactly what I needed tonight.  

Family and friends are asking if we are “still” going on the cruise in January- then continue to repeat all the possible challenges we could face.  My husband and I have discussed them all and, are prepared to deal with the consequences should either of us become ill.  We have had the 3rd vaccine/booster, will have masks and hand sanitizer (but prefer soap and water) and stay aware of our surroundings.

Yes, acceptance is the answer!

We are looking to enjoy a week of R & R in the sunshine.  

…and we are watching a series on Netflix called Money Heist.  😊

• Like 2

6 hours ago, waiting2retire said:

good luck!

Congratulations!  Are you going to change your avatar 'waiting2retire'!

I couldn't agree more with the idea of  acceptance. When we decided to pull the plug on our upcoming cruises and our winter in Myrtle Beach, I was disappointed with the idea of a second Ontario winter in a row. However, as I counted my blessings, living in Ontario came out near the top. Having a warm place to live, sufficient food, access to great medical care, free prescriptions, 3 covid shots all make up for a lot of snow and cold temps. Other than following covid recommendations, there is  little I can do but accept what is. My family is healthy, I have Bell Fibe, my pvr, my Kobo, and time to do crafts. We will get thru this- .meantime, I will stay in a good frame of mind. Cruising is still in my future.

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, waiting2retire said:

Good point!  I might consider it if I knew how ☺️

Although you can't see it right here (at least I can't) this also covers changing your username. You can't do it yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.png.4273b65e4a4e747e32ef1ff794b17f76.png

In September of 2020 I splurged on this Moose Knuckles 'Arctic' coat in anticipation of our first winter without a break in many decades.  It was a relatively mild winter so I seldom wore it, choosing instead to stay in the comfort of our condo on those few bitterly cold days.  It's again ready for this winter safely at home.

I join fellow Canadians in giving thanks for our vaccinations and the measure of protection they provide, the joy of family, even if we'll be resorting to shared zoom meals again, and  happy memories of decades of independent journeys and more recently, cruise holidays.

Ruth

Edited by Been There, Planning That
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Ugh….any tips to stay motivated and positive. I like AA’s theory of “one day at a time”, also to watch less news(very difficult for a news junkie).

Snowshoeing.  It's really fun -- as long as there's snow on the ground, that is. 

6 hours ago, waiting2retire said:

Good point!  I might consider it if I knew how ☺️

1.  Click on your Avatar.

2.  Your Profile page will be displayed.

3.  Click on the Image button in the bottom left corner of your Avatar page.

4.  This will 'pop' a Profile Photo window that allows you to Remove or Change the Picture.

Snow shoeing  is the best!! You don’t need much snow to do it and the woods trails are so beautiful in the winter. Last winter was our first time in Canada for the snow in over 10 years. I was able to snow shoe every afternoon and I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it. Even if you just go out and walk around your own yard, the exercise and fresh air will get you through the winter. That said…still leaving for a New Years Cruise this weekend . 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Atlantic Girl said:

Snow shoeing  is the best!!  Even if you just go out and walk around your own yard, the exercise and fresh air will get you through the winter. 

AH, the joys of you young 'uns.  

I agree, there's great winter beauty to be admired,.

Ruth

16 hours ago, GeriatricNurse said:

1.  Click on your Avatar.

2.  Your Profile page will be displayed.

3.  Click on the Image button in the bottom left corner of your Avatar page.

4.  This will 'pop' a Profile Photo window that allows you to Remove or Change the Picture.

That would allow them to change the sun picture.  I don't think you meant to change the sun, per your comment above.  I think you meant the "waiting2retire" part.  That is their username.  

Their username is different and its been described above how to change that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Been There, Planning That said:

AH, the joys of you young 'uns.  

I agree, there's great winter beauty to be admired,.

Ruth

Last winter I snowshoed almost every day, and I'm in my mid-70's. It's so nice to be considered a young 'un! 😇  

• Like 3