Hawaii Safe Travels “Cruise Line Trips” option

Astro Flyer

9 hours ago, carbon said:

We honeymooned on Kaanapali Beach and wish to return even if only for a day.  Wouldnt mind checking out Lahaina and Mic Fleetwood's place.We dock on April 12th so I think we are too late for whale season.

We usually don't recommend bus tours, but if your ship offers a shopping tour from the ship to Lahaina and back, you might consider it.  Ka'anapali Beach is, as mentioned, right next to Lahaina and you could check out where you honeymooned, do some fun shopping and have lunch or whatever all in that one area.  Then your bus brings you right back to the ship.  Since you would be on a tour sanctioned by your cruise line the ship repoertedly has to wait for you if your bus gets caught in a road closure.  Closures can't be predicted and don't happen every day, but think of it as a sort of insurance policy if you want that.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

We usually don't recommend bus tours, but if your ship offers a shopping tour from the ship to Lahaina and back, you might consider it.  Ka'anapali Beach is, as mentioned, right next to Lahaina and you could check out where you honeymooned, do some fun shopping and have lunch or whatever all in that one area.  Then your bus brings you right back to the ship.  Since you would be on a tour sanctioned by your cruise line the ship repoertedly has to wait for you if your bus gets caught in a road closure.  Closures can't be predicted and don't happen every day, but think of it as a sort of insurance policy if you want that.  

The ships tours unfortunately do not go to lahaina. They stay in the Kahahui area. Im concerned about road closures.

12 hours ago, carbon said:

The ships tours unfortunately do not go to lahaina. They stay in the Kahahui area. Im concerned about road closures.

I totally understand being concerned about road closures. A delay is more common, but they do happen. It's a bit of a weird feeling living in Kapalua knowing that in an emergency the hospital is on the other side of the Pali. What are your times in port? 

12 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

This is the first time I’ve seen the Safe Travels FAQs include cruises.

https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/faqs/

Aloha AstroFlyer and a big Happy New Year to you.

This is the document I copied and linked to last week. The requirements for entering Hawaii for those on NCL Pride (AKA they are flying to Hawaii to board the ship) are the exact same requirements anyone needs to do to fly. Since everyone on NCL is vaccinated, passengers just need to create an account, upload vax card and wait for the QR code. As of this week, the state is removing the health questioner step (which seems a bit odd given that they are tightening other restrictions). All very simple, and again, there are social media web sites set up specifically to help with step by step directions that are a bit clearer than the government site.

Passengers arriving by cruse ship need to do the same thing. The only slight delay maybe access to the internet while at sea (or immediately in port) as passengers will need access to the internet to obtain the state issued QR code (the state doesn't issue those until 24 hours before arrival). Passengers should probably create the safe travels account and upload vax card while on the mainland, then they are just waiting for the state to approve the application at sea. All totally doable. Sounds more complicated than it is.

Entering the state seems pretty standard for those planning to sail. Of course, we are still waiting to see if Hawaii is going to allow cruising at all this month.

image.thumb.png.fb87bd8abe9409bfc902592328abe4c8.png

24 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I totally understand being concerned about road closures. A delay is more common, but they do happen. It's a bit of a weird feeling living in Kapalua knowing that in an emergency the hospital is on the other side of the Pali. What are your times in port? 

we are in port from 7am to 6pm

28 minutes ago, carbon said:

we are in port from 7am to 6pm

That's a decent amount of time in port, but I have no idea how much time will be spent obtaining and turning in the rental car. It took me nearly an hour to return my rental last year  because the lines were so long and that was long after Easter week 😞

Maui might just be a place that ships tours are the easiest. I'm certain there will be a ships tour on RtH. That way the tour bus will secure your time slot at the Black sand beach and everyone will get to view the pretty sites since they aren't driving. What AstroFlyer stated about just staying down on the south side in Kihei area for beaches is a great idea too. There is an ocean stroll down by Grand Wailea that is pretty. You can get to Maaleaa Bay without concern about road issues, so you could take a whale watch or snorkeling tour from there also if you wanted. 

I'm sure whatever you decide will turn out wonderful. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

Road to Hana was already booked.  I do not like tour buses with 50 people so I was thinking that was not something we wanted to do.  We might end up staying down in the Kihei area as you suggested.

• Like 1

Grand Princess is scheduled to sail from LA roundtrip to Hawaii on 1/4 but still haven’t read about HDOT approving any agreements with cruise lines to dock in Hawaii. Princess is allowing January cancellations without any penalty fees but their phone lines have been closed since 12/31 to reopen on 1/3.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this is new information, but this is the current port schedule for Honolulu. The Grand is still showing it will arrive on the 9th.

Pride of America is not listed for a January 22nd arrival in Honolulu, but ironically the Pride is showing it will arrive at the port in Kahalui, Maui on January 23rd.

image.png.d035075d576adf69ec39197b5e70c8af.png

14 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Grand Princess is not being canceled, according to their Roll Call...

I read that. I also read that some people believe the ship isn't actually sailing to Hawaii, but rather it will do a Mexican run. We will know more tomorrow once the itinerary is officially underway since cruise mapper should indicate the next port after California.

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I read that. I also read that some people believe the ship isn't actually sailing to Hawaii, but rather it will do a Mexican run. We will know more tomorrow once the itinerary is officially underway since cruise mapper should indicate the next port after California.

Another guess is they will sail to Hawaii hoping to have port agreements completed before their arrival or they will do scenic cruising with a required stop and Ensenada.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm not sure if this is new information, but this is the current port schedule for Honolulu. The Grand is still showing it will arrive on the 9th.

Pride of America is not listed for a January 22nd arrival in Honolulu, but ironically the Pride is showing it will arrive at the port in Kahalui, Maui on January 23rd.

image.png.d035075d576adf69ec39197b5e70c8af.png

@BermudaBound2014, WOW, I don't see our POA sailing for Feb 5th either. 🧐 

I guess we're know a lot more by this time tomorrow?

A change to Hawaii’s Safe Travel procedure:

HVCB said the completion of a health questionnaire prior to departure will no longer be required.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/01/03/breaking-news/hawaii-eliminates-safe-travels-health-questionnaire-reduces-covid-quarantine-for-visitors-to-align-with-cdc-guidelines/

8 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

A change to Hawaii’s Safe Travel procedure:

HVCB said the completion of a health questionnaire prior to departure will no longer be required.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2022/01/03/breaking-news/hawaii-eliminates-safe-travels-health-questionnaire-reduces-covid-quarantine-for-visitors-to-align-with-cdc-guidelines/

I'm waiting to see how this change pans out. The QR code was generated immediately when you finished the questionnaire. I felt like the questionnaire was a trigger to the state site to move forward with the processing. I wonder when the state will now generate the QR code? Maybe they will do it based on time you are scheduled to enter the state.

12 hours ago, Lauraally said:

@BermudaBound2014, WOW, I don't see our POA sailing for Feb 5th either. 🧐 

I guess we're know a lot more by this time tomorrow?

We should know about Grand Princess tomorrow. The Pride of America is still sitting in Oregon with no estimated departure or destination posted. 

image.png.d261c6ed1de3fc18bdc6a8f4667f6e70.png

• Like 1

On the roll call for today’s sailing of Grand Princess to HI passengers on that cruise & other people who are sailing as far as in April have received their Safe Travels QR code by email today & will receive the same code 24 hours prior to arrival.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2766984-grand-princess-january-4-2022-hawaii/page/16/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

My niece just uploaded her Vax card for travel next week and the QR code came immediately. Looks like the state won't be waiting, as soon as the vax card is uploaded the QR code is generated 🙂

That’s good…guess they realize that receiving QR codes while at sea could be problematic so they are providing them in advance. 👍 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

That’s good…guess they realize that receiving QR codes while at sea could be problematic so they are providing them in advance. 👍 

Just for clarification, My niece and I are flying next week (She isn't on a cruise), but I suspect that cruise passengers will also receive their QR codes immediately now that the questionnaire is no longer in play. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Just for clarification, My niece and I are flying next week (She isn't on a cruise), but I suspect that cruise passengers will also receive their QR codes immediately now that the questionnaire is no longer in play. 

I received my QR code today for a 2/11 flight.  I uploaded my vax document a week before Christmas.  My assumption is that now that the questionnaire is done, the QR code should come quicker.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Sugar0802 said:

I received my QR code today for a 2/11 flight.  I uploaded my vax document a week before Christmas.  My assumption is that now that the questionnaire is done, the QR code should come quicker.

When flying to Hawaii most airlines at LAX have a procedure to confirm ID & vaccination cards and then issue a wristband which eliminates the need to check them upon arrival in HI. Whether that will be done on ships is unknown but my guess is it will be done pierside during arrival like when checking passports. If ships such as Grand Princess sailing from LA today get port agreements we’ll learn the procedure.

• Like 1

HDOT announces first port agreements for restart of cruise travel in Hawaiʻi

The Hawaiʻi Department of Transportation Harbors Division announced the execution of the first port agreements with Carnival Cruise Line and Norwegian Cruise Lines to formalize health and safety protocols for cruise line operations in the State of Hawaiʻi.

https://mauinow.com/2022/01/04/hdot-announces-first-port-agreements-for-restart-of-cruise-travel-in-hawaiʻi/

• Like 1

NCL just announced the cancellation of Pride of America cruises embarking through and including February 26, 2022.

https://www.ncl.com/travel-advisory

Updated on January 5, 2022
The health and safety of our guests, crew and communities we visit is our number one priority. Therefore, a limited number of sailings across our fleet have been affected.

• Norwegian Pearl cruises with embarkation dates through and including January 14, 2022
  • Norwegian Sky cruises with embarkation dates through and including February 25,2022
  • Pride of America cruises with embarkation dates through and including February 26, 2022
  • Norwegian Jade cruises with embarkation dates through and including March 3, 2022
  • Norwegian Star cruises with embarkation dates through and including March 19, 2022
  • Norwegian Sun cruises with embarkation dates through and including April 19, 2022
  • Norwegian Spirit cruises with embarkation dates through and including April 23, 2022
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

NCL just announced the cancellation of Pride of America cruises embarking through and including February 26, 2022.

https://www.ncl.com/travel-advisory

Updated on January 5, 2022
The health and safety of our guests, crew and communities we visit is our number one priority. Therefore, a limited number of sailings across our fleet have been affected.

• Norwegian Pearl cruises with embarkation dates through and including January 14, 2022
  • Norwegian Sky cruises with embarkation dates through and including February 25,2022
  • Pride of America cruises with embarkation dates through and including February 26, 2022
  • Norwegian Jade cruises with embarkation dates through and including March 3, 2022
  • Norwegian Star cruises with embarkation dates through and including March 19, 2022
  • Norwegian Sun cruises with embarkation dates through and including April 19, 2022
  • Norwegian Spirit cruises with embarkation dates through and including April 23, 2022

Unfortunate but not unexpected.