Book with Confidence or Cancel for any Reason

Therese S.

What is the difference between these two programs?  If a person chooses to cancel within 30 days of sail date, do you invoke the Book with Confidence or the Cancel for any Reason using your Princess platinum insurance?

When I first started reading the book with confidence plan it seemed like you had to have tested positive or currently have Covid, then after reading further it wasn’t clear if that was the case. 

Has anyone recently cancelled their cruise within the 30 days of sail date and did you cancel with the book with confidence or with your travel insurance? 

we are just trying to determine our options as omicron races across the world 

Currently there are three Princess protections in play and it is best to read the details of each by visiting the Princess website or speak with your travel advisor.  Here’s a very general breakdown of the three cancellation options: 

Book with Confidence - covers cancellations up to 30 days prior to sailing.

Covid 19 Protection Plan- covers cancellations within 30 days of sailing when cancellations are due to testing positive or suspecting you may have Covid.

Princess Vacation Protection-  This coverage purchased through Princess allows you to cancel for any reason and receive a FCC for 75% of cancellation fees for standard insurance and 100% of cancellation fees for Platinum. 

hope this is helpful.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I was wondering same thing, but hadn't done the research yet.

Since I'm hearing near Full capacity for our March Hawaii sailing, planning to cancel.

That's just too soon in my book, with omicron so contagious even with our boosters.

Don't want to be stuck 5 days at sea each way, if theres a problem.

Already have another Hawaii booked for Nov., which were hoping will be better timing.😉

On 12/27/2021 at 12:56 AM, Therese S. said:

What is the difference between these two programs?  If a person chooses to cancel within 30 days of sail date, do you invoke the Book with Confidence or the Cancel for any Reason using your Princess platinum insurance?

When I first started reading the book with confidence plan it seemed like you had to have tested positive or currently have Covid, then after reading further it wasn’t clear if that was the case. 

Has anyone recently cancelled their cruise within the 30 days of sail date and did you cancel with the book with confidence or with your travel insurance? 

I have done both.  Within 30 days, you must first fill out a form on AON and they must notify princess.  This adds an extra layer so possible delay with mistakes such as we had. They processed the credit for my DH but not for me, so long wait to fix.  When we cancelled in the book with confidence period (more than 30 days), it just went thru Princess with no extra paper work.  I don't know yet if the credit comes faster.  Still waiting.   No illness was involved.  We were just being very cautious.  We had elite ins.

• Like 2

One thing to note, from what I have been able to figure out if you cancel using the book with confidence, while the credit might come from princess you have to use that to book AND sail by the end of 2022 according to their site.

If you cancel using the Princess Insurance (via AON) then I was told you have 1 year from the issue of the credit to book and it can sail whenever.

I have 3 weeks booked in Jan/Feb that I am hoping to go on but if I have to cancel I personally would be hard pressed to book and sail on something else by the end of the year.  Firstly I would have to find an itinerary that I actually wanted to do and secondly I would have to get permission from work.  I usually make a request at least 12-18 months prior to take that amount of time off all at once. 

For that reason if I were to cancel I would go through AON before using the book with confidence given the choice.  That said if you cancel outside the 30 days I don't know if they give you a choice.

Edited by jpom18

Thank you for starting this thread.  I was also wondering. I’m outside my 30 day window and have the Platinum Protection Plan.  Does it make a difference if I used FCC to pay the cruise fare? We have already identified a replacement cruise we would like to take later this year.  Also, anyone have luck getting the Platinum Plan premium transferred to a future cruise if I used the Book with Confidence option?

On 12/26/2021 at 9:56 PM, Therese S. said:

we are just trying to determine our options as omicron races across the world 

Within 30 days you would use the Covid protection program from Princess. 

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/covid-19-protection-program/

You are supposed to only use this if you or your travel partner in the same stateroom is covid positive.  They might not require a test result but they clearly state if you lie about it they can revoke the benefit. 

Will I have to show proof of a positive COVID-19 test to use this program?
While not automatically required, we reserve the right to request proof of a positive test result. This program isn’t applicable to guests who make false statements to Princess about their COVID-19 status. Princess can revoke any of this program’s benefits if false statements are made.

The covid protection program is an extension of the Cruise with Confidence which is only for cancellation outside of 30 days. 

https://www.princess.com/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cancellation-final-payment-policy/

Cruise with confidence only requires you not feel well. 

The FAQs on both of those pages are worth a read if anyone has questions. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel