Serenade of the Seas....281 dollars Jan 15?

MISTER 67

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Caught at what? Booking double for a solo? Nothing.

I get the issue with the extra solo points and if that's important, then a call might be in order as they may be able to do things not available on the web site.

Biker, who after 4 calls and 2 LAs was finally able to get extra points for a double booked solo sailing.

I just did a mock booking for a balcony compared to a double , solo was 100.00 cheaper.  
Guess I dont get how booking a double is better.   As you pay double taxes and ports and everything else involved.     
maybe I’m missing something.  Sometimes I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer.   And I’m sick. Lol. 

4 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

Guess I dont get how booking a double is better.   maybe I’m missing something.

For the example that started this thread, booking double allows you to book the XI GTY rate (which is about $500) that you can't get as a solo (which is about $750). You get the taxes for the second person refunded after the no show.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ptroxx said:

I just did a mock booking for a balcony compared to a double , solo was 100.00 cheaper.  
Guess I dont get how booking a double is better.   As you pay double taxes and ports and everything else involved.     
maybe I’m missing something.  Sometimes I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer.   And I’m sick. Lol. 

It varies by cruise- some are more, some are less. Back in September during double points there was a time the supplement was zero. 

5 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

It varies by cruise- some are more, some are less. Back in September during double points there was a time the supplement was zero. 

Thanks. totally get that.   I’m paying 1100.00 for my cruise next month from PR for 7 days on a balcony as a solo.  Such a great price.     

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Insane rate for inside cabin sailing out of Tampa for Western Caribbean, we've been cruising for 40 years, that is lowest rate for 7 days I've ever seen.

Why so low? Then again Royal's prices have always perplexed me, most of the time their rates our higher than Celebrity and on many cruises you can sail on Holland America and Princess for a much lower rate for just about the same cruise on the same week.

That being said if we hadn't just sailed on 2 cruises in the last month we would book this cruise in a heartbeat.

I didn’t let this slip on board as clearly it would have upset everyone in the CL - the Christmas cruise I just completed on Explorer of the seas I managed to get including taxes in a Junior Suite for ...

$282 pp

We then managed to grab a Royal Up to a Grand Suite for ...

$115 pp

We didn’t stop at two ports of call and got a credit of ...

$92 pp

So essentially $305pp in a Grand Suite for 7 days. Although I turned covid positive and am now quarantining (on RC $) so maybe not the great deal. 

Tampa, Galveston, and LA have some great rates because they are smaller ships, I'd say, and have competition with Carnival for low pricing--I canceled a January 4-night Carnival out of LA for $150 for a balcony, and passed on a $200 7-night to Mexico. I have Navigator next month for $250 for 4 nights and Adventure out of Galveston for the same price for 5 nights, both inside solo. For a few blessed weeks last Fall, RC stopped single supplements and had dirt-cheap fares. I spent two hours on hold with Carnival yesterday due to a wave of cancellations, so I imagine that RC will have the same issue and it will be reflected in bargain pricing. Princess also has some amazing solo fares for the next few months, without the double single supplement, whereas HAL and NCL are keeping their fares fairly high still, but I would imagine that NCL will have to bend that after they suddenly went from no masking to complete masking.