Mask through Jan 31st?

CrzN4Info

2 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Also.......let's not forget that the crew probably do not mask up when in crew quarters and while socializing at bars and such in crew areas.

and honestly I do not begrudge them this, it's rough wearing a mask almost ALL the time. We all just need to do the best we can do and try not to judge other people for living life/keeping their sanity. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, coffeebean said:

The crew wear KN95 masks and every one of them covers their nose and mouth with the mask. From what I saw on NCL Joy, there was 100% compliance with crew wearing their masks correctly. That should be enough protection for the crew.

5 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

N95 masks are the best we can hope for. But.........they are only 95% effective at filtering out those pathogens, not 100% so there is that. You know the old saying.........."Nothing in life is 100% except death and taxes".

4 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Also.......let's not forget that the crew probably do not mask up when in crew quarters and while socializing at bars and such in crew areas.

I'm not following. Your statements appear contradictory.

1) Are you suggesting that 95% effectiveness is enough protection for the crew?

2) Is the crew 100% in compliance or are they not masking up while socializing? 

We just got home from spending a week on the Bliss. While initially disappointed about the mask rule, I found myself much safer wearing it.  Every staff member had a mask on, and the experience on my cruise is that everyone seemed okay with it and respected the policy.  No need to wear at bar tops, dining areas or while you are eating/drinking.  When I was walking with a drink, I would lower my mask to consume and put it back on.  When talking to people at the bar, I found myself electively putting on my mask because it just felt safer.

My two cents.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coffeebean said:

I haven't had a cold in ..........I can't remember the last time I had a cold. Maybe 20 or 25 years ago but not sure. I don't need to wear a mask to keep me free of the common cold. My strong immune system takes care of it.

well, that is incredible... in the original sense of the word.

your immune system does not protect you from catching a cold. your immune system helps you fight the cold once caught. (that's why you feel so awful when you have a cold... those are not cold symptoms... that's your immune system's response to the virus.)

your immune system and the antibodies it creates can sometimes  prevent you from catching the same cold virus again. but it does not prevent you from catching another cold of a different strain. and given that there are - at minimum - over two hundred different cold viruses in circulation at any time... it's almost impossible to avoid getting a cold as you wander about doing your daily activities onboard a ship. unless, of course, you wash your hands regularly and wear a mask and avoid touching your eyes and nose... and almost nobody from the USA followed that advice before Covid 

3 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Don't worry about anyone who is not masked... You are protected with a good grade mask that filters out 95% of pathogens. That is as good as it's going to get. Be around others who are maskless with confidence. Protect yourself and don't worry about others who don't protect themselves. Same goes on land, not only on cruise ships.

it actually gets much better than that when everybody is wearing a mask. the maskless heathen that you advise folks not to worry about... they significantly increase your risk even if you are wearing a mask.

also, are you familiar with cruise critic's "multi-quote" feature? it's a powerful tool when you wish to respond to a number of messages!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, UKstages said:

it actually gets much better than that when everybody is wearing a mask. the maskless heathen that you advise folks not to worry about... they significantly increase your risk even if you are wearing a mask.

I don't think that @coffeebean would dispute that!

But if I worry about every maskless heathen (even thogugh you are right, they do increase our risk), I am going to be CONSTANTLY in a state of worry. While this may be sustainable for you, it certainly isn't sustainable for me. So while I wish people would follow rules and wear a mask and I know that the people not wearing on increases risk, for myself, I have decided that I deemed that an acceptable risk, which is why I am traveling right now. 

Throughout the stages of travel: the airport (for most), a taxi ride, etc...I will most likely encounter at least 5-10 maskless people.  It's no different on the cruises, there will always be people who choose not to follow the rules and I should think at this most, most Americans would know that. (not that I agree with this, the reality in which I live in is not ideal)  

3 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

and honestly I do not begrudge them this, it's rough wearing a mask almost ALL the time. We all just need to do the best we can do and try not to judge other people for living life/keeping their sanity. 

I'm not judging them at all. They have to live their lives just like we do. Good for them that they can get some "down" time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

I'm not judging them at all. They have to live their lives just like we do. Good for them that they can get some "down" time.

yep I knew you wouldn't but you know some people would expect them to wear it while they sleep. 

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm not following. Your statements appear contradictory.

1) Are you suggesting that 95% effectiveness is enough protection for the crew?

2) Is the crew 100% in compliance or are they not masking up while socializing? 

The crew is 100% compliant when around passengers and they do wear their masks properly. I only have one NCL and one Royal cruise to go by and both lines make sure their crew is masked up properly when interacting with guests.

95% effectiveness is as good as we are going to get and I honestly think that is good enough. All crew is vaccinated and hopefully they are being boosted as we speak. How much more protection are we to demand for them?

Are you saying all passengers must mask up with N95 masks every minute of every day when interacting with the crew? That isn't going to happen, especially when passengers are seated indoors or outdoors for dining and drinking without masks on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jasonfly said:

We just got home from spending a week on the Bliss. While initially disappointed about the mask rule, I found myself much safer wearing it.  Every staff member had a mask on, and the experience on my cruise is that everyone seemed okay with it and respected the policy.  No need to wear at bar tops, dining areas or while you are eating/drinking.  When I was walking with a drink, I would lower my mask to consume and put it back on.  When talking to people at the bar, I found myself electively putting on my mask because it just felt safer.

My two cents.

Were you wearing an N95 or KN95 mask?

On 1/2/2022 at 7:11 PM, CrzN4Info said:

We were thinking of booking a spring cruise but don't to wear a mask.  The current policy reads that a mask is required through Jan 31, 2022.  Has anyone been on a cruise lately and are they strict about the mask policy?  Thanks.

Just off the Getaway on 1/5/22.  Wearing a mask on the cruise was not a huge deal.  We wore it walking down hallways indoors, into restaurants, disembarking in port, but not outside.  We've been wearing masks for almost two years, it wasn't a deal breaker by any means.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Strange that people would book a cruise that had a no mask policy and then be concerned when some people aren't wearing their masks when the policy is abruptly changed.  LOL.  Those people didn't seem concerned about masks a few weeks ago and yet now only feel safe if people are wearing them.  Masks were always just a false sense of security.  It's even being reported (admitted) now that the cloth masks do barely anything to protect anyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Strange that people would book a cruise that had a no mask policy and then be concerned when some people aren't wearing their masks when the policy is abruptly changed.  LOL.  Those people didn't seem concerned about masks a few weeks ago and yet now only feel safe if people are wearing them.  Masks were always just a false sense of security.  It's even being reported (admitted) now that the cloth masks do barely anything to protect anyone.

While I disagree about your opinion on the efficacy of masks (although I have always thought the cloth thing was BS), I DO agree with your observation about how these cruisers booked under no mask policy! It was only changed a few weeks ago!  I just don't understand why people are freaking out if someone is alone in an elevator not wearing one and then puts one on when the elevator is full...or if someone doesn't put it on between sips, etc....

I know omicron wasn't a thing when they booked, but delta was still pretty contagious.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aubreyc1988 said:

So while I wish people would follow rules and wear a mask and I know that the people not wearing on increases risk, for myself, I have decided that I deemed that an acceptable risk, which is why I am traveling right now. 

Throughout the stages of travel: the airport (for most), a taxi ride, etc...I will most likely encounter at least 5-10 maskless people.  It's no different on the cruises, there will always be people who choose not to follow the rules and I should think at this most, most Americans would know that. (not that I agree with this, the reality in which I live in is not ideal)  

well, it's like small children who scream and shout on an airplane and run down the aisle and aren't secured in their seats while we're experiencing turbulence. i don't have  a problem with those kids. i have a problem with their parents. they are their guardians and are responsible for their behavior.

so, too, NCL is my guardian while on its ships and is responsible for my safekeeping as well as the safekeeping of those not wearing masks. i am absolutely responsible for what i do and i wear a mask, including on a breakaway cruise a few weeks ago before the mask requirement was instituted. but NCL has to stand behind its policies. not enforcing the mask requirement among passengers is like not having muster drills.

it is up to NCL to enforce mask wearing among all its passengers as long as that requirement is in effect. i was at a broadway show  last night and i saw a group of people warned about not wearing a mask three times. the fourth time, they were removed from the theatre. on NCL, based on most accounts here in the forum, we get self-effacing apologetic requests/reminders to wear a mask, which are generally not followed up on. and a good deal of that is cultural, since it is not part of the filipino mindset to intrusively prevail upon another human being, asking them to do something they are not already doing. 

i live in your reality as well and encounter many unmasked individuals on public transportation, in airports, in elevators and such. you have  a much higher level of tolerance for that behavior than i, however.

12 hours ago, Epic_Bear said:

Just off the Getaway on 1/5/22.  Wearing a mask on the cruise was not a huge deal.  We wore it walking down hallways indoors, into restaurants, disembarking in port, but not outside.  We've been wearing masks for almost two years, it wasn't a deal breaker by any means.

My mask came off as soon as I was fully vaccinated. Now I'm boosted too. I will wear a mask only when required and that is in health care facilities. Other than that, I have been mask free for a long time now.

12 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

Cloth masks are great for source control, not for protection. Source control requires everyone to wear a mask properly for the masks to be effective. Ever since the N95 and KN95 masks have been readily available, THAT is the way to go if anyone wants protection for themselves. Source control with cloth and surgical masks is not nearly as important now that those very protective N95 and KN95 masks are readily available to the general public.

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, UKstages said:

well, it's like small children who scream and shout on an airplane and run down the aisle and aren't secured in their seats while we're experiencing turbulence. i don't have  a problem with those kids. i have a problem with their parents. they are their guardians and are responsible for their behavior.

so, too, NCL is my guardian while on its ships and is responsible for my safekeeping as well as the safekeeping of those not wearing masks. i am absolutely responsible for what i do and i wear a mask, including on a breakaway cruise a few weeks ago before the mask requirement was instituted. but NCL has to stand behind its policies. not enforcing the mask requirement among passengers is like not having muster drills.

it is up to NCL to enforce mask wearing among all its passengers as long as that requirement is in effect. i was at a broadway show  last night and i saw a group of people warned about not wearing a mask three times. the fourth time, they were removed from the theatre. on NCL, based on most accounts here in the forum, we get self-effacing apologetic requests/reminders to wear a mask, which are generally not followed up on. and a good deal of that is cultural, since it is not part of the filipino mindset to intrusively prevail upon another human being, asking them to do something they are not already doing. 

i live in your reality as well and encounter many unmasked individuals on public transportation, in airports, in elevators and such. you have  a much higher level of tolerance for that behavior than i, however.

I see it this way......don't worry about who is not masked and in your close presence such as public transportation when social distancing is impossible. Just wear an N95 or KN95 mask and you should be good to go. You are 95% protected. You can't ask for much more than that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

wwwhhaaaaa. I have to wear a mask….. whwwwhhaaaa I’m gonna cry and whine and let it ruin my whole life… The Horror… good lord you entitled bunch of weirdos. The fact that there is a 4 page thread on simple mask rules is sad.  It’s not tough to wear a mask. It doesn’t cause you harm. It is a safety net and required to keep people healthy so that they may actually continue to operate.  

• Like 2

Thank you all for your reports and observations.  I believe I am still safer on a cruise than on a plane or in certain airports or sadly even in my own area.  
That said, I prefer to associate with people and patronize places that care about my well- being,  The cruise I recently completed was one of those.  I have 3 cruises (2-3 weeks each) booked this year - one with NCL.  If they are truly lax in enforcing their stated policy, I will likely cancel and rebook elsewhere.

I am mid 70s, have asthma and wear glasses.  Once I got past the "I don't wanna" stage, I realized that wearing a mask is not a big deal.  I saw similar signs in various places around the world since the pandemic began and understand completely.  

MyMaskProtectsYouYardSignonsky_917x917.jpg

26 minutes ago, BklynBorn47 said:

Thank you all for your reports and observations.  I believe I am still safer on a cruise than on a plane or in certain airports or sadly even in my own area.  
That said, I prefer to associate with people and patronize places that care about my well- being,  The cruise I recently completed was one of those.  I have 3 cruises (2-3 weeks each) booked this year - one with NCL.  If they are truly lax in enforcing their stated policy, I will likely cancel and rebook elsewhere.

I am mid 70s, have asthma and wear glasses.  Once I got past the "I don't wanna" stage, I realized that wearing a mask is not a big deal.  I saw similar signs in various places around the world since the pandemic began and understand completely.  

MyMaskProtectsYouYardSignonsky_917x917.jpg

That is what source control is all about. Unfortunately, When this pandemic hit us hard in the beginning, there were many Americans who resisted wearing a mask or wearing a mask correctly. Sadly, source control masking never did work very well for us here in America.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, craig01020 said:

Me too. There are some really ugly people out there! 😷🤪

LOL - I'm working on my website now and looking at our pictures, I realize that at my age the mask covers a lot of wrinkles.  I may use several of these!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RaftingJeremy said:

wwwhhaaaaa. I have to wear a mask….. whwwwhhaaaa I’m gonna cry and whine and let it ruin my whole life… The Horror… good lord you entitled bunch of weirdos. The fact that there is a 4 page thread on simple mask rules is sad.  It’s not tough to wear a mask. It doesn’t cause you harm. It is a safety net and required to keep people healthy so that they may actually continue to operate.  

I have not seen any crying or whining in this thread. Some people are prepared to pay for a cruise where they have to wear a mask and some are not.

If masks are required, masks shall be worn. Then people can choose to cruise, or not.

• Like 1