“Pending” stateroom assignment

Let Me Travel!

Hi experienced Ocean cruisers… we are doing a “butterfly” cruise in August … Seine River/Normandy then British Isles Ocean.  We’ve been assigned our stateroom on the River, but we are still “pending” on the Ocean…We booked a DV…Does anyone have info about this “pending” status…when we’re you assigned your stateroom? Were you upgraded? Any info during this irritating Covid time? We’ve already booked our River excursions, but not Ocean excursions…anyone have experience with this? Does anyone have opinions about “bubble” excursions? Do you guys think all the hysteria will be over by August? Please give me your feedback! I love conversations and reading about your experiences!

Hi.  I can give you my experience with your first question.  Last month, I booked an ocean cruise for Feb 2022.  When I booked, my cabin status was pending.  About a week later they emailed an updated itinerary to me which had my assigned cabin number in it.  The cabin is in the category I paid for. 

Before covid we booked guarantee cabins twice on Viking. Both times we received upgrades several months before departure, but within the DV category we'd booked. Since cabins in the same category are all are the same size, varying only in location, the upgrades meant very little to us. In each case, though, we were perfectly satisfied with the cabins assigned. And our three Viking Ocean cruises have been among our very favorites in 20 years of cruising on a variety of lines. Love Viking river, too!

Thanks everybody…reassuring…We’ve been on the “pending” status for more than one year (rebook of a rebook). I sort of thought we’d be assigned after 12/31, when all payments were due, but still nothing… I wonder if I should email Viking… I’m a ridiculous planner… I just like to know exactly what will happen. Plus we in the SE are about to have an ice storm this weekend and I’d like to daydream my way to a cruise! LOL!

Probably no harm in e-mailing if it makes you feel better, but certainly not necessary. It's much too small a sample for a valid conclusion, but all of the people I know (either on line or in "real life") who have scored full category upgrades on a variety of cruise lines have been notified of them rather late. So go ahead and dream! 

We booked a cruise in Dec. 2020 for Jan. 2023 with a guaranteed cabin and paid in full Nov. 15, 2021.  We have not yet been assigned a cabin.  The cruise has been sold out, with a few cabins popping up as being available, for most of the past year.  We have been assured that we will have a cabin assigned prior to boarding.

I guess we were "lucky"; we found out our cabin assignment at the dock as we boarded. I was nervous leaving for our pre-cruise extension, but Viking assured us that we would have a cabin.

It was a sold out cruise.  I would think that these days you would find out earlier.

1 hour ago, dd57 said:

I guess we were "lucky"; we found out our cabin assignment at the dock as we boarded. I was nervous leaving for our pre-cruise extension, but Viking assured us that we would have a cabin.

It was a sold out cruise.  I would think that these days you would find out earlier.

Although not with Viking, we have experienced it a couple of times where we didn't know the cabin until checking in.

• 2 weeks later...

We just booked the British Isles Explorer cruise for July of this year. It's supposedly almost fully booked - we got one of the last available cabins. We were told at booking (also noted on our statement) that we "will be berthed in the category purchased" and that our stateroom "may not be assigned until the day of sailing."

• 2 weeks later...

I booked a guarantee cabin for Mississippi Holiday cruise for Dec 2022.  We got the cabin assignment last week. No upgrade but the category we purchased. I think assignment of cabin will depend on cancellations and open cabins  That is if you purchased a PV 2 maybe you will be upgraded if a

PV1 opens up and Viking can sell the PV2 to another guest.