Debarking ship at end of cruise

colesc15

On 1/16/2022 at 12:26 AM, patcacmt said:

How is it determined what numbered luggage tags you get for debarkation?  We cruised on RC for the first time in years last month (short cruise) and had gotten “#1 self-assist” tags. But, we wanted to put our bags out the night before because we both had medium-sized cases, and I have some difficulty with my back and leg. Anyway, not really knowing what the tag meant, we put them on the bags because we wanted some type of identifier on them and set them out. Then, the next morning, we walked off fairly early with the people who had their bags. But, we were detained after exiting the escalator and told we couldn’t go past where the luggage was until everyone who had their luggage with them passed first. I could see our two bags right up front. 

So, obviously we did something wrong and I should have probably asked someone about the tags we got. We’re going on the same ship next month. We drive to the port so it doesn’t matter how early we disembark. Does that make a difference in what number we should get for our tags?  BTW, I’ve never done self-assist, nor do I really want to. 

@patcacmtYou can't set your luggage for luggage assistance and request self assist tags. It's one or the other. If you want luggage assistance (i.e. setting your luggage out and RC taking your bags for pick up), then you need to ask them for a luggage assistance tag and they will assign you a number. You wait until your number is called to disembark and pick up your luggage. If you choose self-assist, you  are given priority to leave the ship before the luggage assistant folks, but you must keep the luggage with you (you do not set it out the night before) and walk out carrying all your own luggage during disembarkation - hence the "SELF" part of the self-assist.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 3:57 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Just got off Navigator. All departure times were called before 7:45.  Walked off and no one looked or cared about luggage tags. Luggage area was almost empty at 8:30.  Line for CBP was about a 2 minute wait. Room steward has a huge stash of tags on his cart, just ask for a early one when you see him during the week. 

@taglovestocruiseDo you remember what the last time you can choose for disembarkation? We have a late afternoon flight, so we want to stay on the boat a little longer and enjoy breakfast first. BTW, your posts have been sooo helpful. Thank you!

The whole idea behind the tags and tag numbers is to make sure that folks don't debark before their luggage is ready.  They don't want folks just hanging around the terminal waiting.  If you keep your bags in your room (i.e., never put them out), then just walk off with them and don't worry about the tags.

If you do put them out, however, you need to wait for your number to be called.

On 1/18/2022 at 6:36 AM, SRF said:

FYI, "debarking" is the removal of a dog's vocal cords to make them unable to bark.

Getting off a ship is DISEMBARKATION.

Nope.  Both are correct, but "disembark" is far more crude (doubling up on opposite prefixes).  It also makes me feel like I ought to walk off the ship backwards.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/debarkation#:~:text=Definitions of debarkation,synonyms%3A disembarkation%2C disembarkment

4 hours ago, BazingAu said:

@taglovestocruiseDo you remember what the last time you can choose for disembarkation? We have a late afternoon flight, so we want to stay on the boat a little longer and enjoy breakfast first. BTW, your posts have been sooo helpful. Thank you!

If I remember right it was 9:30.  They had a blurb on the tv that says enjoy a hearty breakfast and go back to your cabin and wait for your number to be called.  Windjammer and MDR was open for nreakfast. No more waiting in the lounges or promenade, stupid covid thing.  Kudos to the UK for no more protocols.  PS.. for what it is worth. I would prefer walking the shops and concourse at LAX over spending extra time in my cabin.  If flying out of LGB you might kill time at the Queen Mary or stroll the Shoreline village. 

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BazingAu said:

Just FYI, you don't really choose your time.  They just estimate the time when that group may be called.  With the low capacity sailings going on right now, it's not unusual for ships to empty out early. 

They don't wait for a time.  They just call the next group(s) when it's practicable to do so.

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2022 at 6:01 PM, colesc15 said:

Our luggage tag number is 44 which has an assigned time of leaving of like 8:45. If we keep our luggage in the room, even though self assist is at like 6:45, is it allowed to still leave at designated tag 44 time with our own luggage? We've done it before, but not sure it's technically allowed.. 

Steward places Luggage tags with a # on them in your room night before whether if you use them or not. 

• Guests opting for self-disembarkation do not have to leave the ship immediately.  They may remain onboard for as long as they wish, up until the required time for all guests to leave the ship.

12 hours ago, BazingAu said:

@patcacmtYou can't set your luggage for luggage assistance and request self assist tags. It's one or the other. If you want luggage assistance (i.e. setting your luggage out and RC taking your bags for pick up), then you need to ask them for a luggage assistance tag and they will assign you a number. You wait until your number is called to disembark and pick up your luggage. If you choose self-assist, you  are given priority to leave the ship before the luggage assistant folks, but you must keep the luggage with you (you do not set it out the night before) and walk out carrying all your own luggage during disembarkation - hence the "SELF" part of the self-assist.

I get it now - thank you for the info.  I never requested self-assist, nor would I ever. If I had seen or gotten anything beforehand asking for departure info, I would have requested the latest departure time since we were driving home and in no hurry to get off. In hindsight, I realize I should have looked or asked for a departure request since this wasn’t my first cruise by far, but it has been awhile and since I didn’t have flights to worry about, I just forgot. 

A part of me wonders if we got tags meant for someone else since earlier in the cruise we had gotten flyers addressed to others. 

On 1/22/2022 at 12:50 AM, patcacmt said:

A part of me wonders if we got tags meant for someone else since earlier in the cruise we had gotten flyers addressed to others. 

Did you change rooms?

My last cruise before COVID I got changed to a better room (same class).  And for the entire cruise, I got things for the people who had been booked in that cabin.  Including a bottle of champagne.  I asked, and was told to keep it. 😄

But on CocoCay, there was another ship in, and my card would not work to pay for any drinks (my package did work), since the tablets used at that bar were off the other ship.  They took my cabin number and were supposed to take care of it back on the ship, but I never got charged for those drinks. 😄

On 1/21/2022 at 3:14 PM, taglovestocruise said:

PS.. for what it is worth. I would prefer walking the shops and concourse at LAX over spending extra time in my cabin.  If flying out of LGB you might kill time at the Queen Mary or stroll the Shoreline village. 

This will definitely depend on the terminal. Personally, I think the MIA terminal (at least the one Delta uses) sucks.