Grand Cayman reopening?

larry_s_taco

Don’t hold your breath…

The test ship that was supposed to visit at the very end of December got canceled, and no replacement test ship has been scheduled.  They’re still working out procedures and logistics, and won’t open up fully to cruise ships until that’s done and there’s been a test ship (or more).

To be safe, I’d assume you’ll have a replacement port or an extra sea day until at least April.

I am sailing Celebrity in March, I received an email canceling an excursion, but the stop continues to appear as well of other excursions.  I am not sure if full cancellation is coming soon or if it was just a particular excursion.

They are finally having meetings.  However, I’ll be surprised if the cruise lines agree to Cayman’s requests any time soon.  Would involve a lot of logistics changes, and with Cayman being a tender port with less cruise infrastructure, I don’t see the cruise lines doing all the extra testing like they’ve agreed to with the Bahamas.

https://www.caymancompass.com/2022/01/31/govt-to-seek-covid-testing-for-disembarking-cruise-passengers/

• Like 2

We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess on February 13th.  We just received an email from Princess on February 4th stating that we would not be able to stop at Grand Cayman, due to Covid Restrictions.

We were scheduled to be there on February 17th.  So disappointing!

On 2/7/2022 at 11:40 AM, bookbabe said:

For a different perspective, here’s the other Caymanian news service on the same set of meetings…

https://caymannewsservice.com/2022/02/uncertainty-still-surrounds-return-of-cruise-ships/

I still say I’ll be surprised if any cruise ships stop in Cayman before April or May.

Yikes, did you read the comments?  I know to take them with a grain of salt, but it also sounds like even if ships come back the charming beach clubs are no more. 

It will be interesting to see what happens on our April 30th cruise.  So far our carrier has been mum on all changes even with itineraries leaving as early as tomorrow with GC on the menu.  

3 minutes ago, TPgal said:

Yikes, did you read the comments?  I know to take them with a grain of salt, but it also sounds like even if ships come back the charming beach clubs are no more. 

It will be interesting to see what happens on our April 30th cruise.  So far our carrier has been mum on all changes even with itineraries leaving as early as tomorrow with GC on the menu.  

There’s always been a love-hate relationship with cruise tourism in GC.  The opponents are pretty vocal, but there are a large number of people who support it, mainly because that’s how they earn their living.

Right now, everyone who arrives on island has to do antigen tests every other day for the first week you’re there.  (Day 2, 5 & 7) And that’s the new “relaxed” rules for fully vaccinated arrivals.  It’s part of the reason I think cruise arrivals will be delayed another few months, since those tests are how they’re justifying letting tourists in at all.  My bet is that Viking will be the first cruise line to visit Cayman, since they’re doing daily PCR tests for all passengers, and that will be really reassuring for the government.

• Like 1

Update…they’re dropping all the on-island testing, and have hinted that there will be an announcement next week sometime about cruise ships.

https://www.caymancompass.com/2022/02/17/cayman-drops-post-arrival-covid-testing/

https://caymannewsservice.com/2022/02/minister-hints-at-imminent-return-of-cruise-ships/

Ignore the comments on the second one, small group of very vocal negative people.

13 minutes ago, bookbabe said:

Update…they’re dropping all the on-island testing, and have hinted that there will be an announcement next week sometime about cruise ships.

https://www.caymancompass.com/2022/02/17/cayman-drops-post-arrival-covid-testing/

https://caymannewsservice.com/2022/02/minister-hints-at-imminent-return-of-cruise-ships/

Ignore the comments on the second one, small group of very vocal negative people.

This would be good since GC officials wanted cruise ships to have all cruise passengers arriving on shore to be tested as they leave the ship.  An impossible venture.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 5:42 AM, bookbabe said:

Well, call me excited!  

We were supposed to be at Grand Cayman on March 24th on Celebrity Apex. Celebrity has cancelled all the GC shoreEx. Right now in the cruise planner they aren't even listing "Day 6". So with Key West replaced by Bimini, and now GC replaced by a mystery port, the itinerary is far less appealing. Luckily we are very happy to be on the new ship in any case.