NOOB here - please forgive my questions!

AngryBirdah

Greetings Everyone!  We're a family of Carnival cruisers preparing to give MSC a try.  I've matched status already (Diamond for me/Silver for wife).  We're eyeing a March cruise on Seashore that falls under the 5%+15% deal.  Kids also sail free as 3rd+4th passengers.  Since we've got 3 kids, and need 2 cabins anyway, the grandparents will come along.  We'll book connected Balcony cabins.  Since I'm a total MSC NOOB, please help me with the following:

1. Since my wife and I have MSC Status, I plan for each of us to book a cabin (me/grandpa/son in one, wife/grandma/girls in the other).  I'm assuming this is pretty standard, and that we'll just sort out who sleeps where on board, and get room keys changed at guest services if needed (though with connected rooms, it might not even matter to us)?
  2. I understand that our status gets a $50 pp OBC.  So in the boys room, does that mean that only I (the Diamond member) gets $50?  Or do all adults in a cabin (Grandpa and I) get $50?  Or do all people in a cabin (Grandpa, minor son, and I) get $50?  
  3. I feel very fortunate that I was able to match to Diamond status.  I understand this comes with perks like priority embarkation and priority tenders.  Am I correct that this only applies to my cabin/cabin occupants and that my wife's cabin/cabin occupants will be left in the regular line, even though we're all traveling together as a family?  Or can a Diamond member lead their extended family to the priority line even if all aren't staying in the same cabin?
  4. The family will be missing Carnival's 24/7 pizza and soft serve ice cream.  I saw that Seashore's pizza place is open ~Noon-1am (not bad).  Does anyone know if/when/where people can get complimentary ice cream on Seashore?  
  5. If one has the non-alcohol drink package or the minor drink package, those seem to offer complementary soft serve?  Where on board does one access that?  Is there a particular bar/station that has it?

Thank you for your patience with this NOOB.  For what it's worth, I discovered during the Status Match process that you should get a confirmation page after you hit submit.  Chrome didn't give a confirmation or an error, but apparently didn't work!  Edge worked, and status was matched within a day.

All the best!

28 minutes ago, AngryBirdah said:

Greetings Everyone!  We're a family of Carnival cruisers preparing to give MSC a try.  I've matched status already (Diamond for me/Silver for wife).  We're eyeing a March cruise on Seashore that falls under the 5%+15% deal.  Kids also sail free as 3rd+4th passengers.  Since we've got 3 kids, and need 2 cabins anyway, the grandparents will come along.  We'll book connected Balcony cabins.  Since I'm a total MSC NOOB, please help me with the following:

1. Since my wife and I have MSC Status, I plan for each of us to book a cabin (me/grandpa/son in one, wife/grandma/girls in the other).  I'm assuming this is pretty standard, and that we'll just sort out who sleeps where on board, and get room keys changed at guest services if needed (though with connected rooms, it might not even matter to us)?
  2. I understand that our status gets a $50 pp OBC.  So in the boys room, does that mean that only I (the Diamond member) gets $50?  Or do all adults in a cabin (Grandpa and I) get $50?  Or do all people in a cabin (Grandpa, minor son, and I) get $50?  
  3. I feel very fortunate that I was able to match to Diamond status.  I understand this comes with perks like priority embarkation and priority tenders.  Am I correct that this only applies to my cabin/cabin occupants and that my wife's cabin/cabin occupants will be left in the regular line, even though we're all traveling together as a family?  Or can a Diamond member lead their extended family to the priority line even if all aren't staying in the same cabin?
  4. The family will be missing Carnival's 24/7 pizza and soft serve ice cream.  I saw that Seashore's pizza place is open ~Noon-1am (not bad).  Does anyone know if/when/where people can get complimentary ice cream on Seashore?  
  5. If one has the non-alcohol drink package or the minor drink package, those seem to offer complementary soft serve?  Where on board does one access that?  Is there a particular bar/station that has it?

Thank you for your patience with this NOOB.  For what it's worth, I discovered during the Status Match process that you should get a confirmation page after you hit submit.  Chrome didn't give a confirmation or an error, but apparently didn't work!  Edge worked, and status was matched within a day.

All the best!

Don't count on those side by side balconies. They will.pop you in the guarantee pool and you will probably be a few decks apart at opposite ends.

$50? Depends if there is a full moon.

Priority....only your cabin occupants. The rest are left out in the cold.

Ice cream was at the buffet area.

Pizza may be those hours but it gets old quick as there as so few people on board.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Don't count on those side by side balconies. They will.pop you in the guarantee pool and you will probably be a few decks apart at opposite ends.

From what I can see, Fantastic choose-your-cabin has several connected options, so hopefully this one is within our control.

Thanks for the data points on the rest!  🙂

With respect to $50 OBC, it “should” be automatically applied to the booking ONLY for the folks with status. But should is the key word. My initial booking had it attached to the reservation/booking confirmation but subsequent cruise move reservations don’t. When I call them about it they keep telling me that line about should be automatic before the sailing…

Don’t forget about one of the better diamond perks. Which is one dining at speciality for diamond plus one guest as a speciality restaurant. 

Also, I would strongly consider Aurea or YC cabins so y’all can have complimentary access to the spa on board (it’s not free otherwise).   Also Aurea would give u free room service delivery fee. I think they charge 8 bucks or so for the pizza though. But from what I’m hearing about quality of pizza at MSC (better than Carnival), it might be worth it getting very fresh pizza delivered vs stale pizza at the buffet. 

I’m not sure if you’ll have priority boarding or anything like that as a Diamond member. Before we moved our cruise last minute we got a last minute text that our boarding time got switched to 4 or 4:30 pm for a 5 or 6 pm departure. And that was out of port canaveral with Aurea and diamond. But who knows with Miami…

Edited by FrostyJoe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AngryBirdah said:

1. Since my wife and I have MSC Status, I plan for each of us to book a cabin (me/grandpa/son in one, wife/grandma/girls in the other).  I'm assuming this is pretty standard, and that we'll just sort out who sleeps where on board, and get room keys changed at guest services if needed (though with connected rooms, it might not even matter to us)?  This seems correct. We have done it on other lines and I expect you will find MSC equally accomodating
  2. I understand that our status gets a $50 pp OBC.  So in the boys room, does that mean that only I (the Diamond member) gets $50?  Or do all adults in a cabin (Grandpa and I) get $50?  Or do all people in a cabin (Grandpa, minor son, and I) get $50?  The OBC will be applied based on status. Children who are free don't get anything in the way of OBC.
  3. I feel very fortunate that I was able to match to Diamond status.  I understand this comes with perks like priority embarkation and priority tenders.  Am I correct that this only applies to my cabin/cabin occupants and that my wife's cabin/cabin occupants will be left in the regular line, even though we're all traveling together as a family?  Or can a Diamond member lead their extended family to the priority line even if all aren't staying in the same cabin? Diamond status perks apply to the person so you will likely get different checkins. I suggest you plan to check in together with them. Someone recently aid that priority checkin for Diamond is temporarily suspended because of current covid procedures. Status does not "extend". It's is person to person so you can't share perks/status with everyone.  
  4. The family will be missing Carnival's 24/7 pizza and soft serve ice cream.  I saw that Seashore's pizza place is open ~Noon-1am (not bad).  Does anyone know if/when/where people can get complimentary ice cream on Seashore?  Ice cream by the pool is open often. You will have fun exploring. Pizza in buffet is nice and pizza delivery could be a fun thing to do - yet not necessary since there is fresh pizza on the buffet. FWIW we recall coming upon our young son with an icecream cone in one hand and a slice of pizza in the other. They loved sailing Carnival
  5. If one has the non-alcohol drink package or the minor drink package, those seem to offer complementary soft serve?  Where on board does one access that?  Is there a particular bar/station that has it? Not certain about this. I think ice cream is part of your food on board and haven't ever been charged. The CHOCOLATE Shop/crepes are a fee.  Do know Drink packages must be had by all members in a cabin (no package sharing) 

All the best!

Hope I've helped here

Welcome to MSC

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, FrostyJoe said:

But from what I’m hearing about quality of pizza at MSC (better than Carnival), it might be worth it getting very fresh pizza delivered vs stale pizza at the buffet. 

Pizza left under a heat lamp in the buffet = bad

Pizza made to order and delivered to your stateroom in a pizza box = great (it might be cut into 4 pieces instead of 8 for some reason). 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Pizza left under a heat lamp in the buffet = bad

Pizza made to order and delivered to your stateroom in a pizza box = great (it might be cut into 4 pieces instead of 8 for some reason). 

Yeaaaaaaa. I can’t imagine any neopoltian pizza that’s not fresh tasting good. Probablt a soggy messy

NY pizza on the hand almost tastes better longer it sits out lol. More of a “chewy” taste to add on to that “chewy” crust to begin with 

• Haha 1

Yall need to see how fast the pizza are made in the ovens in the buffet in front of you---

Very little chance of heat lamp soggy

I agree the menu for cabin delivery has nice options and we may do that -- I just mention the buffet because if the OPs kids are like my adult kids were back in the day--they were happy to pick up a slice in one hand and ice crem in the other.

OP--the water park on the ship is great. There is a lot for a family on board. Plenty of opportunities too for picky eater kids to try new things (you didn't ask about food beyond pizza and ice cream)

🤩

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

I have seen it mentioned before, but not recently, that MSC does not do the extra key thing.  They expect you to sleep where you are booked.  Please update me if it has improved.  EM

Hmm I suppose the OP can just use the other persons key then 🤪 and wear their own contact tracing bracelet 

Pizza.  I was on the Seashore early December.  I fell in love with their marinara pizza on whole wheat crust.  No cheese.  I had read where people would ask for specific pizzas at MSC buffets, so I tried that approach when I didn’t see the marinara pizza on Day 2.  So I asked.  Then asked how many slices I wanted.  Ten minutes later, a worker brought it to my table.  This happened most days, as I had two slices each day for the entire week.  

The Butcher’s Cut is an excellent choice of Specialty Dining for your complimentary Diamond meal.

My cruise was my first with MSC.  I matched Diamond from Disney.

I never found soft serve ice cream. Let us know what you discover; I sail Seashore again in October.

Have a great cruise.

• Like 1

MSC is not into the key swap.  Put everyone where you need.  Plus you have the wristbands that operate like card and tracks you.

We have never had bad pizza on MSC.  Just did two trips and not an issue.  Best pizza at sea.

20 hours ago, AngryBirdah said:

1. Since my wife and I have MSC Status, I plan for each of us to book a cabin (me/grandpa/son in one, wife/grandma/girls in the other).  I'm assuming this is pretty standard, and that we'll just sort out who sleeps where on board, and get room keys changed at guest services if needed (though with connected rooms, it might not even matter to us)? NOT STANDARD on MSC.  There are many instances of "linked" reservations being broken into two guarantees, regardless of level of experience booked.
  2. I understand that our status gets a $50 pp OBC.  So in the boys room, does that mean that only I (the Diamond member) gets $50?  Or do all adults in a cabin (Grandpa and I) get $50?  Or do all people in a cabin (Grandpa, minor son, and I) get $50?  NOPE< only status matched people
  3. I feel very fortunate that I was able to match to Diamond status.  I understand this comes with perks like priority embarkation and priority tenders. This benefit is temporarily suspended  Am I correct that this only applies to my cabin/cabin occupants and that my wife's cabin/cabin occupants will be left in the regular line, even though we're all traveling together as a family?  Or can a Diamond member lead their extended family to the priority line even if all aren't staying in the same cabin?
  4. The family will be missing Carnival's 24/7 pizza and soft serve ice cream.  I saw that Seashore's pizza place is open ~Noon-1am (not bad).  Does anyone know if/when/where people can get complimentary ice cream on Seashore?  Ice Cream is offered in the MDR at lunch and dinner for dessert (not soft serve)
  5. If one has the non-alcohol drink package or the minor drink package, those seem to offer complementary soft serve?  Where on board does one access that?  Is there a particular /station that has it? depends on ship

Thank you all for your insights... they are very much appreciated  😊

As we decide whether to take a chance on a cruise, and figure out what trip insurance best suits, I went ahead and matched the grandparents' status from Carnival to MSC.  I knew they'd only manage Classic, but Classic gets the 5%+15% discount, which is super valuable.  At least that means all the adults can be in the cabins they'll sleep in and one of the kids will be assigned to the grandparents' cabin.  That saves the hassle of room/key swap at guest services on Day 1, whether or not they'd graciously allow it!

I am a bit worried about the propensity MSC seems to have for shuffling rooms on folks.  I've read some of the stories where people were moved from the cabin they chose under the guise of an "upgrade"... which wasn't always an upgrade.  If we move forward, we'll pick our connected balcony rooms, and then I guess we'll call them to ask them to link the reservations together, decline complimentary upgrades, etc.?  

Comparing the prices, Aurea vs Fantastica would be significantly more expensive and we wouldn't be able to get rooms anywhere close to each other.  We could order a lot of room service pizza for that price differential 😂

Happy for any advice on trip insurance as well.

Again, thank you for taking time to help us out! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AngryBirdah said:

As we decide whether to take a chance on a cruise, and figure out what trip insurance best suits, I went ahead and matched the grandparents' status from Carnival to MSC.  I knew they'd only manage Classic, but Classic gets the 5%+15% discount, which is super valuable.  At least that means all the adults can be in the cabins they'll sleep in and one of the kids will be assigned to the grandparents' cabin.  That saves the hassle of room/key swap at guest services on Day 1, whether or not they'd graciously allow it!

I am a bit worried about the propensity MSC seems to have for shuffling rooms on folks.  I've read some of the stories where people were moved from the cabin they chose under the guise of an "upgrade"... which wasn't always an upgrade.  If we move forward, we'll pick our connected balcony rooms, and then I guess we'll call them to ask them to link the reservations together, decline complimentary upgrades, etc.?  

Comparing the prices, Aurea vs Fantastica would be significantly more expensive and we wouldn't be able to get rooms anywhere close to each other.  We could order a lot of room service pizza for that price differential 😂

From what I've read, which mostly started 6-9 months ago when they started re-categorization of rooms, the shuffle of rooms happened to a lot of folks and there did not seem to be an option to decline.

Heck, we had the best room on Mera and that went to guarantee on website saying we'd get same room or better.  The room shuffling was a mess but I would say either it is slowing down or no one talking about it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AngryBirdah said:

Insurance that covers Covid!!!!

If one of your group tests positive prior, you all are not going and if msc is not notified 48 prior you lose all your money.

The rooms together 😂  buy a lottery ticket, better odds. You could get lucky but in Covid times and empty ships, every other cabin makes sense.

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2022 at 8:32 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

Insurance that covers Covid!!!!

If one of your group tests positive prior, you all are not going and if msc is not notified 48 prior you lose all your money.

The rooms together 😂  buy a lottery ticket, better odds. You could get lucky but in Covid times and empty ships, every other cabin makes sense.

Well, the more I play around with MSC, the more I'm understanding the laughs and giggles of you all on this forum!  😂

We pretty much decided to go for the Spring Break sailing.  I had my two browser windows up... one to book the cabin of 4 and one the cabin of 3.  Here's the fun bit:  On some decks, the cabin of 3 is allowed to choose from available Balcony cabins that sleep 3 or 4... but on other decks, the only cabins which show available are ones for 3 people.  Like... I can understand one or the other, but not varying by deck!  So the cabins I'd like (2 connected balconies that sleep 4 on the Port Bump of Deck 12) can't be selected online.  On Deck 10 or 15 I can select any number of cabins that hold 3 or 4, but none are connected.  There is one combination (2 connected balconies that sleep 4 and 3 each on the Starboard Forward section of Deck 12) that we could book online.  I figure I can book that and then call (and wait an hour) to ask them to move to the other cabins... or just wait for them to drop our cabin reservations altogether and then call in to fight to move back closer together.  

It is a bit of madness with MSC, isn't it???  Like, if their stuff is glitchy in booking then that's not a great start to the cruise! 

8 hours ago, AngryBirdah said:

Well, the more I play around with MSC, the more I'm understanding the laughs and giggles of you all on this forum!  😂

We pretty much decided to go for the Spring Break sailing.  I had my two browser windows up... one to book the cabin of 4 and one the cabin of 3.  Here's the fun bit:  On some decks, the cabin of 3 is allowed to choose from available Balcony cabins that sleep 3 or 4... but on other decks, the only cabins which show available are ones for 3 people.  Like... I can understand one or the other, but not varying by deck!  So the cabins I'd like (2 connected balconies that sleep 4 on the Port Bump of Deck 12) can't be selected online.  On Deck 10 or 15 I can select any number of cabins that hold 3 or 4, but none are connected.  There is one combination (2 connected balconies that sleep 4 and 3 each on the Starboard Forward section of Deck 12) that we could book online.  I figure I can book that and then call (and wait an hour) to ask them to move to the other cabins... or just wait for them to drop our cabin reservations altogether and then call in to fight to move back closer together.  

It is a bit of madness with MSC, isn't it???  Like, if their stuff is glitchy in booking then that's not a great start to the cruise! 

Congratulations, you now speak MSC.

You are a fast learner.

They have a decent product at a decent price when you get past the BS and get on a ship. Not necessarily the ship you booked but on one.😁

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, AngryBirdah said:

As I've said several times, MSC covets thy cabins.

6 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

Congratulations, you now speak MSC.

You are a fast learner.

They have a decent product at a decent price when you get past the BS and get on a ship. Not necessarily the ship you booked but on one.😁

….and the room category (or higher) you paid for….

can’t believe they downgraded you form YC to balcony. That’s a load of bologna