Hotel Recommendation in Avignon

tenmile

We are planning to stay one night in Avignon in late April before we board our Uniworld river cruise. If anyone can recommend a nice medium price range hotel that is walkable to several sites, I would appreciate it. Thanks. Linda

We really enjoy Avignon and have stayed there in both hotels and a rented Condo (a truly memorable week).  I cannot recommend a medium price hotel but will suggest you might want to consider the Hotel d'Europe if you can somehow get an acceptable price.  It is located inside the walls and a really deluxe property.

Hank

Hank - have you stayed in Lyon?  I'm thinking of doing this one night so I can catch a flight from there to Bologna.  Easier to this than out of Marseille or Avignon (LOOOONG connection times).   I figure I can at least catch a good (but inexpensive) dinner there!

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We really enjoy Avignon and have stayed there in both hotels and a rented Condo (a truly memorable week).  I cannot recommend a medium price hotel but will suggest you might want to consider the Hotel d'Europe if you can somehow get an acceptable price.  It is located inside the walls and a really deluxe property.

Hank

I loved the Hotel d'Europe when I stayed there several nights back in 2012. The enclosed courtyard is particularly attractive with a cool glass of rose after a long day of sightseeing.  

To the OP:  Mercure and Ibis are mid-price chains, they cater to European business travelers mainly but are a safe bet for cheaper hotel properties.

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

Hank - have you stayed in Lyon?  I'm thinking of doing this one night so I can catch a flight from there to Bologna.  Easier to this than out of Marseille or Avignon (LOOOONG connection times).   I figure I can at least catch a good (but inexpensive) dinner there!

I've stayed in Lyon a bunch of times (business travel), everything from very elegant and in the center of the old town to quite inexpensive but near the river and well-connected transportation wise. Give a holler if you want any ideas.

We also like Novotel, along with Mercure and Sofitel all part of the Accor chain.  We found Ibis rooms very basic and small.   
in Lyon we stayed at a quality inn across from the train station.  There are some excellent restaurants there.  It was a reasonable taxi ride in to town.  

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Yes we have stayed in Lyon and it was a real bummer since we chose an inexpensive hotel on the wrong side of the tracks (literally).  I think DW would sum it up these days by saying, "please don't make me go to Lyon."  That being said, if we had an unlimited budget and planned far enough in advance to get reservations at some of the cities great restaurants we might reconsider.   So when it comes to Lyon I will keep my mouth shut (and fingers not moving) and let others make recommendations.

Hank

• Haha 1

Thanks for allowing me to hijack.  I still have a little time left to decide what I'm doing.  I never realized it would be so hard to get between Marseille and Bologna!   If I have to get up at o'dark oclock to catch a plane in Marseille only to have a connection in Lyon, I might as well just train it up to Lyon the day before and enjoy it. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Thanks for allowing me to hijack.  I still have a little time left to decide what I'm doing.  I never realized it would be so hard to get between Marseille and Bologna!   If I have to get up at o'dark oclock to catch a plane in Marseille only to have a connection in Lyon, I might as well just train it up to Lyon the day before and enjoy it. 

Good move.

We have stayed at the Boscolo in the peninsula, but only a short walk to the old town.

And many years ago in some pensions which I hope are no longer in business...

I think cruisemom may be your best source for choices.

6 hours ago, marazul said:

Good move.

We have stayed at the Boscolo in the peninsula, but only a short walk to the old town.

And many years ago in some pensions which I hope are no longer in business...

I think cruisemom may be your best source for choices.

Thanks!

I'll probably hit up cruisemom when I decide for sure.  My brain is spinning with all I still have to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for a few suggestions. We would rather avoid chains although we have stayed at some nice but average Mercure and Novatel hotels before. Any suggestions for places to stay in Marseille near the Old Port?

On 1/28/2022 at 10:52 PM, tenmile said:

We are planning to stay one night in Avignon in late April before we board our Uniworld river cruise. If anyone can recommend a nice medium price range hotel that is walkable to several sites, I would appreciate it. Thanks. Linda

Beautiful building and surrounds, has an excellent set menu.  Rooms simple but clean.

A place to just chill….

https://www.hotel-cloitre-saintlouis-avignon.fr/en/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAu62QBhC7ARIsALXijXSIMeT1g8ntXncMKQGIemGNj_javEq0N-3UmnDPD7EsRVrHRxrUstIaAgtIEALw_wcB

On 2/15/2022 at 4:05 PM, tenmile said:

Thank you for a few suggestions. We would rather avoid chains although we have stayed at some nice but average Mercure and Novatel hotels before. Any suggestions for places to stay in Marseille near the Old Port?

I'm staying at the La Residence Du Vieux Port in July,.  I did quite a bit of research and wanted a midrange place in a good location.  It's right on the port, so I'll have a nice time walking around.  I'll post here how it was post-trip. 

Thank you Slidergirl. We are considering Maisons du Monde that is also close to the port and not far from the hotel you mentioned. Unfortunately, La Residenz is booked for the 2 nights in April we are in Marseille except for their suites. We can stay at The Intercontinental for less than the price La Residenz is asking for their suites. I hope you will post a review though.

On 2/17/2022 at 3:15 PM, tenmile said:

Thank you Slidergirl. We are considering Maisons du Monde that is also close to the port and not far from the hotel you mentioned. Unfortunately, La Residenz is booked for the 2 nights in April we are in Marseille except for their suites. We can stay at The Intercontinental for less than the price La Residenz is asking for their suites. I hope you will post a review though.

I don't have enough points for the Intercontinental yet.  I used up points for one of the Kimptons in Seattle the other year so I'm building them back.  Plus, I don't need a suite - I'll probably get in the room, crash and wake up the next day!!

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I don't have enough points for the Intercontinental yet.  I used up points for one of the Kimptons in Seattle the other year so I'm building them back.  Plus, I don't need a suite - I'll probably get in the room, crash and wake up the next day!!

We feel the same way about paying for either a suite or for staying at the Intercontinental. We just need a place that is clean with a comfortable bed. We made reservations at Maisons du Monde.