Danube water levels 2022 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

This thread made me think of our first ever river cruise exactly . We had just the opposite problem, too much water.
That’s long enough ago that I don’t recall the details other that one morning the Captain announced that the days schedule was being changed in order to leave (Regensburg?) early to beat the rising water heading our way. If we left on schedule we wouldn’t make it under a very low bridge bridge up stream (Kelheim?). As it turned out we cleared with centimeters to spare.

Ship happens on water regardless of the time of year.

• Like 1

These pictures are of how the drought is effecting the U.K. not a pretty sight to say the least.

Most of us on this sight enjoy or want to enjoy a holiday on the water where we immediately put our faith into the hands of ‘mother’ nature, well at the moment she is being particularly cruel and it will take some time for the land and rivers to recover from this abuse. 

Fingers crossed we get loads of gentle rain that will soak into the aquifers and replenish the streams because a deluge will cause even more of a catastrophe.

The science of drought explained in pictures https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-62519107

• Like 1

I posted this in another thread but I have an acquaintance and former neighbor who is currently on the Viking Vilhjalm.  She’s posted photos from Krems after stops in Bratislava and Vienna.  Boat departed Budapest and they’ve not taken a bus the entire trip.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, UDChE89 said:

Boat departed Budapest and they’ve not taken a bus the entire trip.

Sounds like better conditions between Budapest and Bratislava now. No problems between Bratislava and Passau/Vilshofen is standard and not special.

notamermaid

• Like 2

Just a few words from me on the river levels. After quite a drop yesterday, Pfelling gauge has been a bit higher and relatively stable today. Now at 223cm.

Unexpectedly, meaning I did not expect it, I see rain on the radar image over the young Danube and the Lech river. Not a lot, but at least we now know that rain clouds still exist or form somewhere. Reaction of the river? Perhaps a bit, who knows?

image.png.e8b78d63e501caad600aa3fc9c3fbb81.png

notamermaid

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

J

Unexpectedly, meaning I did not expect it, I see rain on the radar image over the young Danube and the Lech river. Not a lot, but at least we now know that rain clouds still exist or form somewhere. Reaction of the river? Perhaps a bit, who knows?

notamermaid

rain dance !!

• Like 1

Looking for some intel on the Main River and the Main Canal?  I have a 5 day Avalon cruise booked for 5 December and before I pay the full amount in a few weeks I would like to understand the history of water levels between Nuremburg and Frankfurt?  Struggling to find anything.  Would appreciate knowing whether this stretch of water is historically troublesome?  Thanks in advance.

30 minutes ago, Magpie22 said:

Would appreciate knowing whether this stretch of water is historically troublesome? 

@notamermaidIs your go-to on this, I think.  I'll just throw in my two bits and say that because of the lock system on that stretch, they have more control over the depths.   Even during these hottest month, that stretch north of Nuremberg is navigable.  Wetter weather is coming before your December trip and ships are sailing now.  All that said... I KNOW NOTHING.  🙂 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 4:35 AM, Cruisegroover said:

Did you get bussed to Regensburg for the walking tour or did you get through? I just saw a blogger doing a live who is on your river cruise and no mention of any river level issues.

We were on the viking Regensburg to Budapest cruise Julyv24 to 31. We started at Engelhartszell Austria (down river from Passau). We were bussed to Regensburg for that tour. Because of the extra time on the bus, it became a full day tour so we were given time to eat lunch on our own before returning and giben 25$ pp shipboard credit to cover our lunch cost. The rest of the cruise was as scheduled.

6 hours ago, Magpie22 said:

Looking for some intel on the Main River and the Main Canal?  I have a 5 day Avalon cruise booked for 5 December and before I pay the full amount in a few weeks I would like to understand the history of water levels between Nuremburg and Frankfurt?  Struggling to find anything.  Would appreciate knowing whether this stretch of water is historically troublesome?  Thanks in advance.

Actually the Canal has a constant water level (more or less) but there is no real high water or low water on the Canal.

As for December... first nobody know, but second this is not the low water season. So you should be on the safe side. For some reason the Main river is not that much affected by extreme low water. There are many locks and dams which can keep the channel navigable.

steamboats

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Seattle1964 said:

@notamermaidIs your go-to on this, I think.  I'll just throw in my two bits and say that because of the lock system on that stretch, they have more control over the depths.

Thanks for your trust. And, yes you are right about the situation.

10 hours ago, Magpie22 said:

Would appreciate knowing whether this stretch of water is historically troublesome? 

@steamboats was up earlier than me this morning, so has answered your question (I am sending a thank you to Munich). I will just add that the river channel has also been additionally deepened, so an extremely shallow area like that around Kaub does not exist (anymore). The Rhine Gorge is a far trickier area to rearrange for large ships (underwater rocks and extreme bends).

It sounds like a lovely itinerary in December, Christmas markets on the Main, I am getting just a tad jealous. :classic_smile:

One thing to bear in mind is that the sundeck may be closed due to low bridges (depending on ship design and safety policies). But it will be a bit too chilly to sit up there for long anyway. The thread on the Main: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2670259-the-river-main-infos-and-river-cruising-experiences/

notamermaid

• Like 1

So, slightly cooler temperatures in the Rhine valley today. Over on the Danube I see that Pfelling is also not as hot as it has been at lunchtime on other days, 23.3 Celsius. Over Bavaria today, weather is influenced by a low pressure area over the British Isles, so warm but clouds that also bring rain is the weather today. We saw some of that on the radar last night already. Tomorrow will be back to hot and dry. What is pleasant is that it is windier, making the hot air more bearable. More rain is forecast for later in the week.

Pfelling gauge at 225cm. Forecast suggests 223cm to 221cm. Will the rain on Friday finally give us levels over 250cm again? I am hopeful but very skeptical. The desired 290cm are far, far away...

notamermaid

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

So, slightly cooler temperatures in the Rhine valley today. Over on the Danube I see that Pfelling is also not as hot as it has been at lunchtime on other days, 23.3 Celsius. Over Bavaria today, weather is influenced by a low pressure area over the British Isles, so warm but clouds that also bring rain is the weather today. We saw some of that on the radar last night already. Tomorrow will be back to hot and dry. What is pleasant is that it is windier, making the hot air more bearable. More rain is forecast for later in the week.

Pfelling gauge at 225cm. Forecast suggests 223cm to 221cm. Will the rain on Friday finally give us levels over 250cm again? I am hopeful but very skeptical. The desired 290cm are far, far away...

notamermaid

I’m flying into Munich on Saturday.  Will take two rainy days in Nuremberg and one in Passau before boarding to ensure sufficient water levels for my cruise!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Thanks for your trust. And, yes you are right about the situation.

@steamboats was up earlier than me this morning, so has answered your question (I am sending a thank you to Munich). I will just add that the river channel has also been additionally deepened, so an extremely shallow area like that around Kaub does not exist (anymore). The Rhine Gorge is a far trickier area to rearrange for large ships (underwater rocks and extreme bends).

It sounds like a lovely itinerary in December, Christmas markets on the Main, I am getting just a tad jealous. :classic_smile:

One thing to bear in mind is that the sundeck may be closed due to low bridges (depending on ship design and safety policies). But it will be a bit too chilly to sit up there for long anyway. The thread on the Main: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2670259-the-river-main-infos-and-river-cruising-experiences/

notamermaid

Thanks so much Notamermaid and Steamboats.  You are legends how you share your local knowledge to those of us that live across the world and are clueless about these matters.  Looks like I can proceed with my plans with confidence.  

Cheers (Prost) for Australia.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, bluestocking7 said:

I flew into Vienna today from the north and could see the Danube below--with a cruise ship sailing eastbound, toward  Budapest.  So this stretch of the Danube is still open.  (I couldn't tell from my airplane window which ship it was.)

It is open after Vienna but we had to stop in Komarno, Slovakia to dock.  Can’t make it all the way from Vienna to Busapest

• Like 1

Update on Uniworld cruise, we completed ship swap yesterday, left the RIver Princess in Straubing for day’s excursion, then buses to River Duchess in Vilshofen. As we bused by the Danube in that area you could see the sand bars from the low water, and could not imagine a cruise ship being able to navigate it any time soon. Since we are now on the River Duchess, whatever tour this ship was supposed to be on must be cancelled. Also in port was another Uniworld ship, SS Beatrice.

20 minutes ago, Canal archive said:

Steady but not heavy rain at the moment, now this is silly - long May it continue, although off to Cornwall next week, muddy farm, maybe!

Nothing so far here in Munich but maybe for the weekend.

steamboats

Pfelling gauge at 226cm this lunchtime and as forecast it is a warmer day again. Air Temperature is 24.4 Celsius. Modelling suggests 220cm for tomorrow. Weather forecast says thunderstorms will be happening along the Danube on Thursday with a real temperature drop on Friday.

notamermaid

4 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Steady but not heavy rain at the moment, now this is silly - long May it continue, although off to Cornwall next week, muddy farm, maybe!

Maybe pack the wellingtons. Have a great time next week. I thought it was Scotland again for you.

notamermaid