Best way to book

wayne_trisha

Going to book Meraviglia departing next  month. My options:

1. Have a TA who does not like MSC. Told her we might book this and said "no way, just had a client who is a big time cruiser and hated every minute of their cruise." but she is a family friend and gives up some of her commission towards OBC.

2. Called MSC and told the agent I wanted Aurea balcony on this date and this ship. Gave him my MSC rewards number and asked for military discount. After awhile came back with a cabin that was not aurea based on what I know, was $100 more than what I could book. Said military discount would be figured after I booked.

3. Book online with MSC. Last time I did this my entire demographic profile was given to a guy in Virginia and I had his. I called him and we talked. Told hm what was going on and we agreed he would handle it as his cruise date was closer.

4. Book online with another TA and PRAY, PRAY, PRAY we don't go through the ridiculousness my daughter just went through on the Seashore. SIX cabin changes and the linked cruise with their friends didn't mean ***** as each time they either moved closer or further away. Actually ended up one cabin above the other four decks apart. LOVED their cruise. 

So which do you book? We are RCCL cruisers and have a cruise on Divina. We loved our Divina cruise but damn! the lead up to an MSC cruise is a mess. The conversation between the guy who had our info was hilarious. He was just as shocked I had all his info as I was when I saw it in my online booking.

I booked directly online on Black Friday for my 1/23 Meraviglia cruise. Outside of a text changing my boarding time and not being able to enter a credit card online, things went smoothly. Once onboard, it was one of the best cruises I have had out of 20 cruises in the last 35 years.

• Like 3

I personally would’ve booked online on my own and called MSC after the fact to apply applicable discounts.  But I would also strongly consider convincing the family friend TA to “allow” you to book since it’ll likey be a win win.  I wouldn’t put that much though on the big time cruiser that hated it. They probably expected MSC to be like a typical US cruise line and are probably folks who don’t like new things/changes that goes outside their expectations and what they’re used to. From these forums, the sense I gather is that landslide MSC customer service is bad at times but once on board (and assuming you actually got the room you booked) folks are generally happy and get good service. 

In addition to military discount don’t forget about possible 5+15% discount!  You can use link https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/msc-voyagers-club/msc-club-pax-type-515 or call them after the booking to apply the discount. Apparently, if you use regular website route instead of the link or going to their deal section to look for 5+15, they only offer you 5 percent after you put your voyagers club number. 

Edited by FrostyJoe

I would just book online with MSC, since you are able to do so (we don't have that option in Europe and have to do it over the phone with MSC agent). You will also be able to chose your cabin and as you said, the price you are getting online is cheaper than what the agent was giving you. 

6 hours ago, JoLoca2208 said:

You will also be able to chose your cabin and as you said, the price you are getting online is cheaper than what the agent was giving you. 

Choosing your cabin and keeping your cabin are 2 different things on MSC.

• Haha 3

I used a TA for my cruise last month and it was better to me than booking online. My TA has a social media group and he will post deals with the total price. For instance the health care heroes deal he would post the price for that. It was alot better than booking and then find out what your price is. I changed my cabin later after booking and all I did was messaged him and he changed it for me.

14 hours ago, FrostyJoe said:

I personally would’ve booked online on my own and called MSC after the fact to apply applicable discounts.  But I would also strongly consider convincing the family friend TA to “allow” you to book since it’ll likey be a win win.  I wouldn’t put that much though on the big time cruiser that hated it. They probably expected MSC to be like a typical US cruise line and are probably folks who don’t like new things/changes that goes outside their expectations and what they’re used to. From these forums, the sense I gather is that landslide MSC customer service is bad at times but once on board (and assuming you actually got the room you booked) folks are generally happy and get good service.

To piggyback on this, If you book on line or go through MSC and get your discounts applied, you can then get a transfer form (from MSC or your TA) and move the reservation to your agent.  They have no work to do and can then give you OBC.

Edited by JAGR
  • Like 1

I never use a TA for any of our trips because I want complete control of our vacation.

Nobody is going to spend the time I do planning our cruises/land vacations. It’s a hobby for me now that I’m retired and I check things every single day on all of our trips we have for the next year. For me planning our vacations is part of the fun. 

Some prices change weekly and I have no problem calling to get price adjustments or do it myself on line for hotels and rental cars etc.

A TA can’t possibly spend that kind of time on a client’s trip. It wouldn’t be cost effective for them. 
Nothing against TA’s one of my sisters was one for over 30 yrs and I didn’t use her either. 😬
I always book my own cruise on the cruise line’s site not some third party site.

Never had a problem doing it this way, and again I have full control if I want to bid on an upgrade or move my room etc etc. 

• Like 1

Especially with MSC, I wouldn't book through a TA. The TA's don'

t have the time that it takes to talk to someone, and too many of MSC's reps don't have a clue. Obviously, if you book with a TA, MSC won't even talk to you.

• Like 1