Time from San Diego Pier to the airport

caymancouple

We always just jump in a taxi as they are lined up and ready to go.  Normally takes about 10 minutes and $15 (or so) fare, plus tip of course.  Not sure how Urber works there as it is a bit congested and entry is restricted.

Edited by DaveOKC

A quick look at Google Maps (or similar) shows its a very short distance. 

More importantly,  look around the board and see how clearing the port has been going. San Diego has a long history of inconsistencies in Immigration and Customs procedures, causing some widely varying experiences. I have been at the San Diego Airport before 8am coming off a ship, and twice, seen a ship not cleared to disembark until just before 9am. This is discussed here frequently. I would not get too aggressive about early flights. 11am at the earliest. 

We are getting off a ship in San Diego next month. We had a choice of 10:45 and 1:15 flights...10:45 might have been more stressful that we wanted....probably could make it, but why stress?

• 4 weeks later...

Also factor in clearing security at San Diego airport.  It's probably the worst in the western US.  Having a cruise ship debarking makes it even worse.  I have been at the airport when the security line is out to the street on a Sunday when a ship debarked.   

We're fortunate in San Diego that the airport is so close and I would agree with the PP that a taxi would likely be the most convenient as they're readily available and the airport is only about 2 miles away. I would also recommend looking at a cruise calendar and seeing if you are the only ship in port that day as a second ship not only adds to the security lines at the airport, it can also slow down the disembarkation process.

15 hours ago, jkrislc said:

We're fortunate in San Diego that the airport is so close and I would agree with the PP that a taxi would likely be the most convenient as they're readily available and the airport is only about 2 miles away. I would also recommend looking at a cruise calendar and seeing if you are the only ship in port that day as a second ship not only adds to the security lines at the airport, it can also slow down the disembarkation process.

This is a great point - in the past we have been the sole ship in port, so the taxi was quick and easy.  On April 3 I heard that there will be 3 ships arriving, so it could be hectic.  While we still are going with the taxi, I decided to take a later flight out versus the available 11:25 AM one.  Yes it gets us home alot later, but it avoids the stress of hurrying off the ship and fighting the airport crowds.

Edited by DaveOKC

5 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

This is a great point - in the past we have been the sole ship in port, so the taxi was quick and easy.  On April 3 I heard that there will be 3 ships arriving, so it could be hectic.  While we still are going with the taxi, I decided to take a later flight out versus the available 11:25 AM one.  Yes it gets us home alot later, but it avoids the stress of hurrying off the ship and fighting the airport crowds.

I just read that, too, about three ships in port. When I looked at the port calendar a week or two ago, it only indicated two ships in port. While I've sailed from San Diego a couple of times, we've always been the only ship in port. Fortunately for us, there's only one in port when we board.

I am glad that we opted to drive and will be parked in a garage across the street from the pier. I can't imagine how chaotic it would be to have a relative pick us up with three ships in port. I now know, though, why all of the close parking is now showing as sold out.

I think you made the right choice. While you could probably make an 11:25 a.m. flight without any issues, there are just too many unknowns with that many ships in port. So many things could potentially go wrong that might delay disembarkation.

36 minutes ago, caymancouple said:

Where do you look it up at?

Thanks

I found it here as I couldn't get the port's website to show anything but this month: https://cruisedig.com/ports/san-diego-california

They do have a PDF of the port schedule, however, but it doesn't show the Disney Wonder and appears outdated: https://pantheonstorage.blob.core.windows.net/maritime/Ship.pdf

Edited by jkrislc

On 2/8/2022 at 8:44 AM, CruiserBruce said:

….

. I have been at the San Diego Airport before 8am coming off a ship, and twice, seen a ship not cleared to disembark until just before 9am. This is discussed here frequently. I would not get too aggressive about early flights. 11am at the earliest. 

We are getting off a ship in San Diego next month. We had a choice of 10:45 and 1:15 flights...10:45 might have been more stressful that we wanted....probably could make it, but why stress?

Agreed - I’ve come into San Diego a few times, and it was always a dog’s breakfast.