How to use iPhone while on the ship

larrybritt

This is our first time with the internet package included since we have the BSE package. Once on the ship do we turn our phone on airplane mode and then connect to the ship Wi-Fi. Are we able to send texts and make calls while at sea then? Honestly we probably won’t do much but nice to know to keep in contact with our dog sitter for our baby, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, larrybritt said:

This is our first time with the internet package included since we have the BSE package. Once on the ship do we turn our phone on airplane mode and then connect to the ship Wi-Fi. Are we able to send texts and make calls while at sea then? Honestly we probably won’t do much but nice to know to keep in contact with our dog sitter for our baby, lol.

If you are using an iPhone put your phone in airplane mode and then connect to the ship’s WiFi. You will be able to send texts and make phone calls over WiFi. We use iPhones on the ship so I can’t speak to whether you can talk/text on other phones.

• Like 1

With the iPhone, turn on WiFi Calling (Settings>Cellular), and you can make phone calls no differently than if you were using a Cellular network at home, and people can reach you anytime the same way. DH and I use iMessage to connect on the ship (instead of the Medallion app messaging feature). 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

DH and I use iMessage to connect on the ship (instead of the Medallion app messaging feature). 

We use iMessage as well along with any friends we are sailing with. It’s much easier than using the message feature on the app. But I do like the “find my” feature on the MC app. It’s easy to locate DH and friends who are linked on our sailings.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2022 at 9:57 AM, Rick&Jeannie said:

If you are using an Android phone you need to download WhatsApp (free). Anybody else that you want to communicate with will need it as well.  It works very well for phone calls and texts...even video calls.

I prefer Signal Messenger as it is more secure and available for multiple platforms.

Edited by brisalta

On 2/15/2022 at 2:38 PM, KLM3164 said:

We use iMessage as well along with any friends we are sailing with. It’s much easier than using the message feature on the app. But I do like the “find my” feature on the MC app. It’s easy to locate DH and friends who are linked on our sailings.

The medallion locate feature didn't work all the time (pre covid) as some of the locations were not yet covered. I suppose they've completed the installation on all the ships now since if you placed an food or drink order they would never fine you. 

What I do is use my iPad for a single device internet package. It's easier for me to see and use, especially using the user-unfriendly Medallion app, and it helps me avoid internet addiction by keeping the iPad in my cabin, so I can read and enjoy the beauty of the sea, instead of staring at a tiny screen. Then I take my phone out only in ports, where I get coverage and can do calls and texts and order Ubers. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 2:24 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

With the iPhone, turn on WiFi Calling (Settings>Cellular), and you can make phone calls no differently than if you were using a Cellular network at home, and people can reach you anytime the same way. DH and I use iMessage to connect on the ship (instead of the Medallion app messaging feature). 

Does that mean it goes off of airplane mode?

1 hour ago, dickinson said:

Does that mean it goes off of airplane mode?

Your phone still stays on airplane mode even though you are making/receiving calls through WiFi. The only time our phone goes off airplane mode is when we are in port. We have T-Mobile and are able to use our phone in every country we’ve visited on a cruise ship. Everything is no charge except for phone calls which I think are 25 cents a minute. Calls in Canada and Mexico are also included in our plan at no extra charge.

On 2/16/2022 at 5:24 AM, PescadoAmarillo said:

Just a follow on question if I can please. I will switch Wi-fi calling on with my phone for an upcoming UK cruise. Does anyone calling me from Australia have to have their phone on Wi-fi or do they just call my number as normal. Do text messages work the same way?

I will use video calling such as Google Duo or Skype to call family but I would be interested to the answers to my questions. Thank you.

5 hours ago, leck57 said:

Just a follow on question if I can please. I will switch Wi-fi calling on with my phone for an upcoming UK cruise. Does anyone calling me from Australia have to have their phone on Wi-fi or do they just call my number as normal. Do text messages work the same way?

I will use video calling such as Google Duo or Skype to call family but I would be interested to the answers to my questions. Thank you.

They call you number as usual. A good example is right now my husband is on a cruise in Hawaii. I simply call his cell phone number. I don’t know whether he is in Airplane Mode and using WiFi Calling or on the cellular network. It doesn’t make a difference and he receives the call the same way with either method. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

They call you number as usual. A good example is right now my husband is on a cruise in Hawaii. I simply call his cell phone number. I don’t know whether he is in Airplane Mode and using WiFi Calling or on the cellular network. It doesn’t make a difference and he receives the call the same way with either method. 

Thankyou. Most helpful.