MSC Upgrade

i<3cruise98

Hi all, I'm due to sail on MSC Grandiosa at the end of April. My email has just came in about upgrading. I had a couple of questions I haven't seen answered yet. 

If an upgrade to a YC room is accepted, can you get a refund for any packages (internet, drinks) that you've already purchased that's provided as standard in YC? 

I know only one upgrade can be accepted but can you bid for more than one at a time? Or can you wait to see if you get accepted for one before you bid for another? 

From our experience and from some reports, I'd watch the price of the upgrades.  A third party does them and difference between booking direct vs bid sometimes not much of a deal.  In fact, the second offer was way more than direct.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, i&lt;3cruise98 said:

Hi all, I'm due to sail on MSC Grandiosa at the end of April. My email has just came in about upgrading. I had a couple of questions I haven't seen answered yet. 

If an upgrade to a YC room is accepted, can you get a refund for any packages (internet, drinks) that you've already purchased that's provided as standard in YC? 

I know only one upgrade can be accepted but can you bid for more than one at a time? Or can you wait to see if you get accepted for one before you bid for another? 

No refund of any packages as that may be part of the equation that you won/win as far as total $$s is concerned.

You might not find out you won till the day before so bid on many and hope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

From our experience and from some reports, I'd watch the price of the upgrades.  A third party does them and difference between booking direct vs bid sometimes not much of a deal.  In fact, the second offer was way more than direct.

Now I know we don’t get a refund on any the packages we have bought the deal isn’t great.

Hi,

Does anyone know whether a Bella Balcony is eligible for bidding to a Yacht Club? This is so new to me. I read it somewhere only 2 categories up is allowed and not sure what they count as 2 categories. What are some of the minimum bids from a balcony to Yacht Club for 7 night? Just so I have an idea. Thank you very much.

4 hours ago, rubylake said:

Hi,

Does anyone know whether a Bella Balcony is eligible for bidding to a Yacht Club? This is so new to me. I read it somewhere only 2 categories up is allowed and not sure what they count as 2 categories. What are some of the minimum bids from a balcony to Yacht Club for 7 night? Just so I have an idea. Thank you very much.

Yes from Bella balcony is possible.

It was actually my plan for this past December on Seashore.

I was b2b and I bid both times and ended up with YC Grand suite both times.

My bid was max on both sailings. $2420 was it. I was also on the 1st cruise for two people at $998 total and second cruise at $1058.

Minimum bid was $355 per so $710.

I kept watching availability prior and there was plenty for both otherwise I would have just paid for it. The available cabins increased two weeks out. 

1st cruise was accepted at 10 days prior, second was 4 days prior while I was on it. I did have to change cabins and I doubt my 2nd was a GS as it had no walk in closet.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

My bid was max on both sailings. $2420 was it. I was also on the 1st cruise for two people at $998 total and second cruise at $1058.

I kept watching availability prior and there was plenty for both otherwise I would have just paid for it. The available cabins increased two weeks out. 

1st cruise was accepted at 10 days prior, second was 4 days prior while I was on it. I did have to change cabins and I doubt my 2nd was a GS as it had no walk in closet.

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. Happy cruising.

10 hours ago, dexddd said:

Yes, I got an offer to upgrade YIN to YC1 and the lowest bid price was basically equal to just booking it directly

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I am in error.....Max bid and accepted bid was $2620, not $2420.

My bad.

2 hours ago, rubylake said:

Thank you so much! This is very helpful. Happy cruising.

Wow, you're lucky. Our minimum bid from YIN to YC ends up to be the same price as if we book the upgraded suite now. There's is no cost benefit (well, maybe less by $300 total), not much. So we're passing. 

I wonder your price point was due to the December sailing, when Omicron was running crazy, and harder to get people to cruise. 

Edited by seapad

On 2/15/2022 at 10:41 AM, rubylake said:

Hi,

I upgraded from a Belly Balcony to an YC Balcony on the Seashore in December.

The bid was $500 per person , on top of the under $1000 I originally booked at. $1900 total for a 5 night in YC balcony.

On 2/15/2022 at 3:30 AM, i&lt;3cruise98 said:

Yes, you can call and they will cancel your drink and Internet packages

On 2/15/2022 at 6:07 PM, seapad said:

Wow, you're lucky. Our minimum bid from YIN to YC ends up to be the same price as if we book the upgraded suite now. There's is no cost benefit (well, maybe less by $300 total), not much. So we're passing. 

I wonder your price point was due to the December sailing, when Omicron was running crazy, and harder to get people to cruise. 

I wish I had a handle on how it really works.

I factor in my cheap base cruise which I booked many months before.

That balcony cabin did have the easy package as well.

What was you max bid amount?

Was it higher than $2620?

On 2/16/2022 at 6:51 PM, titangas said:

I upgraded from a Belly Balcony to an YC Balcony on the Seashore in December.

The bid was $500 per person , on top of the under $1000 I originally booked at. $1900 total for a 5 night in YC balcony.

Thank you so much for sharing!

On 2/15/2022 at 4:29 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

No refund of any packages as that may be part of the equation that you won/win as far as total $$s is concerned.

You might not find out you won till the day before so bid on many and hope.

On 2/17/2022 at 5:47 AM, IsanTom said:

Yes, you can call and they will cancel your drink and Internet packages

So we have two opposing answers here.  Which one is it really?  

34 minutes ago, Av8tor said:

With MSC onshore, they are probably both true.  It depends on who takes your call in the department the MSC calls "Customer Service," and they call it that with a straight face!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Av8tor said:

I was the poster for the first part.  So for clarification my answer was for a YC cabin..... after you win a bid, you cannot go back and cancel a portion of your original deal. I originally had the easy booze package and I paid for easy plus. After winning YC, I tried to cancel easy plus and was not allowed. I was told there is nothing to cancel and now I have the premium package. So it was absorbed into the booking.

Your mileage may vary.

Edited by mscdivina2016
more info

On 2/18/2022 at 1:42 PM, Av8tor said:

As soon as I received upgrade to Yachi Cub, I called and they immediately cancelled our drink package no problem. Bon Voyage!

1 hour ago, IsanTom said:

As soon as I received upgrade to Yachi Cub, I called and they immediately cancelled our drink package no problem. Bon Voyage!

Why did you add the highlighted part above??  I don't see him saying that in his post!  And I'm pretty sure Av8tor knows it is not the Yachi Club!

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to change cabins after one gets an upgrade? The fine print says they will assign you a cabin. Just wondering anyone was able to move to a different cabin when there was availability. If yes, was it done at the pier or once onboard? Thank you.

I'd like to know this also, the chances for getting a different balcony cabin in the current climate.

We sail this Sunday, booked a Fantastica balcony, and our cabin was switched from a regular balcony on Deck 11 to a fully accessible one on Deck 10, with NO SOFA or anywhere to sit and a ramp going out the balcony door for you to stub your toes on when you get out of bed during the night.  Plus we are in our 80's!!  Our TA has tried through numerous phone calls and a long letter to get us changed back to a regular balcony anywhere else (we're not picky), all to no avail.  I'm wondering what is our best option, to wait till we get on the ship and go to customer service, or complain at check-in.  Thoughts, anyone??

3 hours ago, mimi7ccr said:

I'd like to know this also, the chances for getting a different balcony cabin in the current climate.

We sail this Sunday, booked a Fantastica balcony, and our cabin was switched from a regular balcony on Deck 11 to a fully accessible one on Deck 10, with NO SOFA or anywhere to sit and a ramp going out the balcony door for you to stub your toes on when you get out of bed during the night.  Plus we are in our 80's!!  Our TA has tried through numerous phone calls and a long letter to get us changed back to a regular balcony anywhere else (we're not picky), all to no avail.  I'm wondering what is our best option, to wait till we get on the ship and go to customer service, or complain at check-in.  Thoughts, anyone??

Well considering they have the worse customer service I would not count on anything. 

I was on the phone 3 times today and they hung up on me all 3 times. Still trying to charge me over $1800 more for a fully paid cruise coming up in 13 days.