Deadliest Catch Crab tour

latebuyer

This tour gets good reviews on trip advisor but its pretty pricey. Is it recommended? If i decide to go to alaska i would have 200 obc so i would have the money to go, just looking at the best way to spend it. Unfortunately we go to Juneau at noon and it sounds like helicopter tours to glacier is recommended if you can go in morning. I also go to sitka. Any other fabulous tours at juneau, ketchikan or sitka let me know. I want to make sure i use the obc wisely if i decide to go.

1 minute ago, christinand said:

This tour gets good reviews on trip advisor but its pretty pricey. Is it recommended? If i decide to go to alaska i would have 200 obc so i would have the money to go, just looking at the best way to spend it. Unfortunately we go to Juneau at noon and it sounds like helicopter tours to glacier is recommended if you can go in morning. I also go to sitka. Any other fabulous tours at juneau, ketchikan or sitka let me know. I want to make sure i use the obc wisely if i decide to go.

If you like the show, it is definitely worth it! We have done it and can recommend it!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, christinand said:

This tour gets good reviews on trip advisor but its pretty pricey. Is it recommended?

Yes.  I have experienced it and I learned a great deal about the life and work of the crab fishermen.  Part of the tour includes them pulling one of the pots aboard and dumping its contents on the deck.  All kinds of marine animals including crabs are part of the catch.  The opportunity is given to hold some of the creatures for awhile.  After a few minutes, the animals are returned to the sea or some are placed in one of the aquariums aboard.  The boat visits an area where Eagles roost.  Throwing chum off the side of the boat, the birds start to swoop out of the trees trying to get a "free lunch".  It's a great tour with multiple photo opportunities.  

I took this tour in 2019. I really like the tour, it was very educational about the fishing industry and the views along the was great too. The eagles flying around the boat was amazing to see. Even my wife who never saw the show or likes fishing had a great time and enjoyed it. 

I don't really like the show but did enjoy the excursion as did my husband and son and a friend. I missed the eagles gathering since that area was under construction when I took it. So yes- would highly recommend. Both educational and enjoyable. We always booked it directly with them since it was cheaper but if you are trying to use up OBC then go for it. No worry about missing the boat on the way back- many of the people participating were on our ship.

We've done this twice before. Usually have gotten a better price booking directly but for our Sept cruise it was actually cheaper to book through the cruiseline....adults $178...kids $112.

We prefer to sit on the main deck middle center. On both of our tours those that sat on the upper deck ended up coming down and had to stand in the open side areas....So no, I wouldn't opt for the upper deck.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nicoleinwi said:

We have this trip booked for May.  Any recommendations on where to sit?  My initial thought would be on the upper deck.  But if they are pulling up a pot with sea life, would the main level be better?

Best spot for both photos and watching the pots being opened is on the second deck just above the orange lifesaver.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ketchikan-crab-fishing/P5236052-2.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ketchikan-crab-fishing/P5236503-2.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

Best spot for both photos and watching the pots being opened is on the second deck just above the orange lifesaver.

We were on the lower deck, second row of seats and had an excellent view of everything, also enjoying the heaters that were installed above us. Keep in mind that some specimen they catch are passed along the public, I do not know if they also are passed on the upper deck.

Attached some photos taken from our seats, so not having to move or stand up.

DSC01491.JPG

DSC01494.JPG

DSC01517.JPG

DSC01519.JPG

Edited by Alphen
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, nicoleinwi said:

Any recommendations on where to sit?

I sat in the first row approximately in the area where the crew member in the purple jacket in Alphen's photo is standing.  

In Crew News first photo, I was seated about the 4th or 5th seat from the aisle in that first row.  I'd try to get that same area again if I could.