Cape Liberty hotel, not International Drive!

Natitude61

Looking for a new place to stay for our next cruise out of Cape Liberty. Had a bad experience at Embassy Suites on our last trip, and would really prefer not to stay in such an industrial area.

We’ll be driving up the turnpike from the south, and intend to park at the port, so no need for extended parking or shuttle. Just trying to get an idea of a decent area to stay. Want to avoid the airport due to noise issues, and like I said want to stay away from industrial areas. And I hate city driving…to me, that portion of the turnpike is like spaghetti soup 😂

if I could just narrow it down to a good area — Staten Island? Jersey City? We’ll be driving to the port on Friday morning, so assume we don’t want to be too far south of the port to avoid rush hour getting into NYC.

Thanks for any advice!

11 minutes ago, Natitude61 said:

Looking for a new place to stay for our next cruise out of Cape Liberty. Had a bad experience at Embassy Suites on our last trip, and would really prefer not to stay in such an industrial area.

We’ll be driving up the turnpike from the south, and intend to park at the port, so no need for extended parking or shuttle. Just trying to get an idea of a decent area to stay. Want to avoid the airport due to noise issues, and like I said want to stay away from industrial areas. And I hate city driving…to me, that portion of the turnpike is like spaghetti soup 😂

if I could just narrow it down to a good area — Staten Island? Jersey City? We’ll be driving to the port on Friday morning, so assume we don’t want to be too far south of the port to avoid rush hour getting into NYC.

Thanks for any advice!

Try the Hilton Garden Inn or Hampton Inn and Suites in Staten Island, which are adjacent to each other. They're somewhat surrounded by highways too, but in the morning you can easily get to Cape Liberty by taking the Bayonne Bridge which eliminates the need to get back on the NJ Turnpike.

• Like 1

If you're going to spend any meaningful amount of time in the hotel area, then I would suggest Jersey City, in or around Exchange Place (or Hoboken), as it a reasonably pleasant place to be and walk around. It is a very urbanized area, though more in the nature of city street driving than a spaghetti bowl of highways. Staten Island is good if all you're really looking for is a place to sleep overnight, but other than that there's not a lot there that would likely be of interest.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 9:54 PM, Natitude61 said:

Want to avoid the airport due to noise issues, and like I said want to stay away from industrial areas. And I hate city driving…to me, that portion of the turnpike is like spaghetti soup 😂

Why not mix it up a bit and stop off in a town like Princeton for the night? I might be a bit biased but its not very far off the highway, super nice little downtown with shops and restaurants, and cute spots like the Nassau Inn right in town (or other hotels under major brands not too far away). 

If the airport noise, industrial areas, and city driving are off the table, might as well experience some of the best of which NJ has to offer. Only about an hour drive in the morning to the pier. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Why not mix it up a bit and stop off in a town like Princeton for the night? I might be a bit biased but its not very far off the highway, super nice little downtown with shops and restaurants, and cute spots like the Nassau Inn right in town (or other hotels under major brands not too far away). 

If the airport noise, industrial areas, and city driving are off the table, might as well experience some of the best of which NJ has to offer. Only about an hour drive in the morning to the pier. 

I agree,we love Princeton .We have been there many times.If you like quirky tee shirts try the Einstein store across the street from Princeton University.

Hmmmm…Princeton. Was there many many years ago and remember it being a nice area. What about closer to the turnpike, like Edison, New Brunswick, etc? 

We’re coming in the day before, so really just looking for a safe, CLEAN spot with a bar and decent food.

Thanks all for your replies.

2 hours ago, Natitude61 said:

Hmmmm…Princeton. Was there many many years ago and remember it being a nice area. What about closer to the turnpike, like Edison, New Brunswick, etc? 

We’re coming in the day before, so really just looking for a safe, CLEAN spot with a bar and decent food.

Thanks all for your replies.

A hotel I recommended earlier, Hilton Garden Inn Staten Island, has an Italian restaurant and bar, Lorenzo's.

In NJ the Hilton East Brunswick is right off of NJ Turnpike Exit 9 and  has a bar and restaurant.

29 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

A hotel I recommended earlier, Hilton Garden Inn Staten Island, has an Italian restaurant and bar, Lorenzo's.

In NJ the Hilton East Brunswick is right off of NJ Turnpike Exit 9 and  has a bar and restaurant.

Thanks njhorseman…I was actually looking at that hotel. Assuming traffic won’t be too horrible if I wait until after 9 am or so to leave for the port (on a Friday)?

Off topic, but is that a Standardbred in your avatar? Many, many years ago I worked as a groom at one of the Standardbred bloodstock sales at The Meadowlands. Even though my background was with Thoroughbred racers and hunter/jumpers, I worked with the sweetest broodmare there. I want to say her name was Mannert’s Shy Ann, or something like that… ❤️

On 2/26/2022 at 9:06 PM, GTJ said:

If you're going to spend any meaningful amount of time in the hotel area, then I would suggest Jersey City, in or around Exchange Place (or Hoboken), as it a reasonably pleasant place to be and walk around. It is a very urbanized area, though more in the nature of city street driving than a spaghetti bowl of highways. Staten Island is good if all you're really looking for is a place to sleep overnight, but other than that there's not a lot there that would likely be of interest.

You've stopped recommending the hourly rate motel in Bayonne that you have promoted at least twice on this board? Aren't you all about promoting lodging at various price levels, as you claimed? Personally, I am glad to see you not recommending an hourly rate motel.

2 hours ago, Natitude61 said:

Thanks njhorseman…I was actually looking at that hotel. Assuming traffic won’t be too horrible if I wait until after 9 am or so to leave for the port (on a Friday)?

Off topic, but is that a Standardbred in your avatar? Many, many years ago I worked as a groom at one of the Standardbred bloodstock sales at The Meadowlands. Even though my background was with Thoroughbred racers and hunter/jumpers, I worked with the sweetest broodmare there. I want to say her name was Mannert’s Shy Ann, or something like that… ❤️

There are no guarantees ever with turnpike traffic, but you should be fine if you wait until after 9 am.

Yes, that's a Standardbred in my avatar . I owned and raced them for many years. 

Note to OP, if you get onto the NJ T-Pike around 9 am from Brunswick, Edison or areas nearby ... check your favorite NAV apps, Google Maps or Apple's ... Waze, too (preferred) for real-time traffic to CL and if you get onto the HOV-2 (car pool / left lane) - it might save you a few minutes (weekdays - HOV northbound, till 9:30 am if I recall).  Expect the commuters to be zipping (pushing) along above the post 65 mph speed limit until you get close to the Newark Airport area and keep up with traffic flow - whether in the HOV, car lanes & car/truck lanes.  Safe travel & happy cruising.