Bringing your own wine

lel5344

I apologize if this a repeat.

2 questions:

We have booked a Concierge Veranda on the Riviera. First Oceania cruise, long time Celebrity cruisers.

Is it possible to get an exchange for the welcome bottle of champagne? Neither of us drinks sparkling wine and we'd be happy with a bottle of house red.

Question 2: if we bring our own wine on board, can we pour a glass in our stateroom and take it into the dining room or specialty restaurant?

As always, thank you for your comments and suggestions.

11 minutes ago, lel5344 said:

if we bring our own wine on board, can we pour a glass in our stateroom and take it into the dining room or specialty restaurant?

No.

Personal wine and spirits are meant primarily for in-cabin consumption except that you can bring an unopened bottle of wine to a dining venue or bar for a $25 corkage fee (per bottle) which includes the gratuity. Unfinished bottles will be stored for you and retrieved by any wine steward when you want to finish it.

There is the occasional person who will try to violate the policy with that “carry the glass” dodge . But, cabin glassware is different and, hopefully, the Maitre’d will have a word with them. They may also get a steely glare from fellow passengers who respectfully pay the toll.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, lel5344 said:

Are there any areas, other than your stateroom, where you can bring a glass of wine? We certainly understand (and accept) the corkage policy and we're definitely rules followers.

Absolutely no. 
Oceania has a very liberal allowance for bringing personal booze. And we want to keep it that way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lel5344 said:

Are there any areas, other than your stateroom, where you can bring a glass of wine? We certainly understand (and accept) the corkage policy and we're definitely rules followers.

If you open a bottle of wine or spirits in your cabin you are free to drink it there

Once you leave the cabin leave the drink in there 

sodas & water are the exception

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lel5344 said:

Thank you very much. All is clear. No further questions on this subject.

Welcome to Oceania.  We appreciate O for its civilized approach to allowing alcohol onboard.  Feel free to enjoy your favorite wines in any of the dining  venues.  The wine stewards will mark you partial bottles with your name and stateroom and store them for you.  You may call for them at any other dining room without another fee.  You will still be ahead of the game considering the steep markup on Oceania wine lists.

We tend to bring 6-8 bottles at embarkation.  If traveling in Europe or the California coast, we replenish our stock frequently.  We will order the cheese plate or the smoked salmon from room service and sometimes invite friends to our stateroom for a pre-dinner happy hour.  

If you enjoy cocktails/mixed drinks, you may also bring you own spirits for stateroom consumption only.  Be sure to visit with your stateroom attendant and let them what what mixers you my require.  Your fridge will be stocked to your liking.  All mixers and soft drinks are complimentary in your stateroom as well as throughout the ship.

Enjoy your cruise!   -Katie

• Like 1

You have all been very helpful, and I am most appreciative. Please know that I asked my question so that I would understand the policy. I have no problem with following Oceania's rules. I think additional posts here are redundant.

Just now, Guest said:

One last question please! I have seen the term”spirits” mentioned as also being able to bring aboard. Does that refer to vodka by any chance? I only see wine mentioned in the Oceania policy but that would be great! Thank you!

yes   it is  unwritten  but you can bring spirits for in cabin use

In December we boarded Riviera in Miami with a heavy duty box containing wine and spirits, taped shut with our cabin number written on it. It arrived at the cabin along with the luggage - no problem. Days later in St. Maarten we came back on board with some hard to find bourbons to bring home, in an open tote bag that clearly showed the name of the store. Again, no issue. We either consume in our cabin or pay corkage in the restauants. The policy is one of the many things we like about sailing with Oceania.

• Like 1