Cruising and wars

brittany12

All has changed. I view the entire cruise landscape as deeply impacted by what Russia chose to do with invading Ukraine. It could be the start of WW 3. Nukes have been threatened.  Are we safe to fly to distant destinations? To cruise? Can we sail safely? Do we want to? What do we think about aggressor nations starting unprovoked wars of aggression. It is a critical subject to all of us. Will Russian warships retaliate for France stopping a Russian cargo ship in the English Channel today? Safety and enjoyment of the cruising experience are key components of this website. I invite all views on the future of cruising......today and tomorrow.

No one can predict what tomorrow holds, I feel more comfortable sailing today than I did when Covid struck. Cruise lines have historically done what was necessary to keep passengers safe (i.e. weather, hijacking,  civil unrest in scheduled ports of call) I truly believe it is safe to cruise to and from a home port in the country you live. Whether or not we have seen the start of WWIII we shall see.

That's my nickles worth!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I personally would not be worried about nukes..........we would be at risk wherever we are in the world.....if your number's up we won't be able to avoid it so you may as well enjoy a Seabourn cruise.

In any case, as Richard Gere said........."None of us are getting out of here alive"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Remember several years ago, one of the Seabourn ships was attacked by pirates off the coast of Africa (or was it another place?).  They put "the pedal to the metal" and even though the ship was hit by a shell (with little damage and no injury to crew or guests), the ship outran the pirates in their boat.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

the Lusitania

For those who may not recall (me included had to google to get the correct facts) the Lusitania was a British passenger ship that was owned by the Cunard Line and was first launched in 1906. Built for the transatlantic passenger trade, it was luxurious and noted for its speed. During World War I the Lusitania was sunk by a German torpedo, resulting in great loss of life.

Unrestricted submarine warfare that resulted  in the hit on the Lusitania was one of the reasons the US entered the war against the German aggressors. Thousand or more innocents killed. It's now thousands dead and nearly a million displaced in Ukraine with unrestricted Russian bombings and missile launches. Madness run amuck.

While on a Seabourn Lisbon to Dover cruise in 2019, we stopped in Cobh, Ireland. We Took a train into Cork and a taxi to Kinsale. It was May 7th, 104 years to the day of the Lusitania sinking.
Many Lusitania survivors were picked up by sailors from Kinsale and many victims are buried there as well. There were commemorations throughout town and our local walking tour stopped at the church cemetery to remember. Very moving. 

8375A93C-56AA-4F3D-9C3A-621E0ADC9B5F.jpeg

3F8C5BB8-16EE-45E5-B417-AFFF0481495B.jpeg

198DB560-CA12-42FF-9199-51180C9E24B3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, labonnevie said:

Many Lusitania survivors were picked up by sailors from Kinsale and many victims are buried there as well. There were commemorations throughout town and our local walking tour stopped at the church cemetery to remember. Very moving

Thank you for this information.  I was unaware that such a cemetery existed.  Very moving?  I felt the same way when I visited the cemetery in Halifax where many of the Titanic's guests and crew are buried.  

Two thoughts

i cancelled a river cruise to Eastern Europe for June.  Too risky. Plus that part of the world will be dealing with refugees and who knows what else.  

i did book a cruise for North American instead.  Now more than ever, I feel that life is short.  Why wait.  No one knows if they have a day, a year or 20 years left on earth.  Enjoy life!  

• Like 2