NZ re-opening sooner than advertised and dropping self-isolation on arrival.

lissie

35 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Someone would have been happy, or now disappointed, I read that it cost $32,000.00 to drop the anchor at Akaroa.

Not sure how it balances. I can't see it being any cheaper to tie up at Lyttelton.

7 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I'm sure the tourism operators are very happy.  It's the people who live there who didn't like it.  Many are retired and didn't enjoy the crowding and pressure on infrastructure.  A lot of angry letters to the editor.

When Akaroa was used to substitute for the damaged wharves in Lyttelton, I think they presumed that most passengers would still find something to do in Christchurch & beyond. Turns out that Akaroa was a nice enough spot on its own and for many it became the destination.

• Like 1

Has Jacinda spoken yet?

From above, link one was about the opening the air border to more people, and link two is hopeful of a cruise ship restart. Makes sense it will be soon, but we were hopeful here for several months too.

3 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Has Jacinda spoken yet?

From above, link one was about the opening the air border to more people, and link two is hopeful of a cruise ship restart. Makes sense it will be soon, but we were hopeful here for several months too.

Great news! Cruise ships back into New Zealand waters from end of July 2022!

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/466864/new-zealand-border-reopening-fully-from-end-of-july

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Mikamarii said:

Our cruise is planned to go to Napier, Picton, and Wellington. We were hoping to home base it in Auckland for the extra time and visit that area (planned to see most of the northern island) but there's so much planning for this trip that we just couldn't wait to see how it played out and wanted to get things booked. Instead we are spending 25 days in Australia and decided one day we will return and spend the whole time in NZ and explore then!

It's good you have a few ports in NZ. People here on this forum will give you ideas on what to do in each port so you can maximise your time there.

Sidebar... I sent the link to my wife to say "hooray, we can go on the shark bus in Auckland again".. but now I see the aquarium has sold the shark bus? Nooooooooooooo!!!!!! (same response from my wife 😄 )

17 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

It's good you have a few ports in NZ. People here on this forum will give you ideas on what to do in each port so you can maximise your time there.

Great thanks!

There are very few excursions available on our RC cruise planner right now (none for Wellington).

We booked a Winery tour in Picton through RC and a full day LOTR tour in Wellington through a private vender.

We are hoping to do some Scuba Diving in Moorea and Pepeete but nothing available through RC. I thought the Pacific islands were still closed to Cruise Ships but just read an article that the Norweigen Spirit left Papeete a couple days ago and marinetraffic shows it near French Polynesia so that is a good sign!

Edited by Mikamarii

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

This will put pressure on New Caledonia , Vanuatu and Fiji to follow...

Fiji has been on a similar time line to Australia, and their borders are open to vaxxed tourists. I am pretty sure they lifted any remaining restrictions on 1st April. 

22 hours ago, arxcards said:

Not sure how it balances. I can't see it being any cheaper to tie up at Lyttelton.

When Akaroa was used to substitute for the damaged wharves in Lyttelton, I think they presumed that most passengers would still find something to do in Christchurch & beyond. Turns out that Akaroa was a nice enough spot on its own and for many it became the destination.

Akaroa is delightful as is the whole of the Banks Peninsular - Chc has little to nothing to offer a day visitor 

3 hours ago, arxcards said:

Fiji has been on a similar time line to Australia, and their borders are open to vaxxed tourists. I am pretty sure they lifted any remaining restrictions on 1st April. 

We flew to Fiji on 1 May -  2 days prior they dropped the requirement to have a pre-departure test. They still have the requirement to test after 48 hours in the country - and have proof that you have booked this to board the plane. You also need to prove that  you have insurance that covers covid 

Lucky for us there was no requirement to test to return to NZ pre-departure.  On arrival I did find out what I thought was a minor cold was Covid though!  

Edited by lissie

4 hours ago, Hogbay said:

This will put pressure on New Caledonia , Vanuatu and Fiji to follow...

I'm curious to see what happens here. From what I can tell, Vanuatu and NC in particular seem to be on a different timeline to Au/NZ? If ships cannot stop there, what will that do to itineraries?

42 minutes ago, losfp said:

I'm curious to see what happens here. From what I can tell, Vanuatu and NC in particular seem to be on a different timeline to Au/NZ? If ships cannot stop there, what will that do to itineraries?

It means that the usual short cruises from Australia to Noumea, Lifou and Port Vila, cannot go ahead. Our August cruise to those ports is now a Nth Q'ld cruise.

Edited by Aus Traveller

52 minutes ago, lissie said:

Akaroa is delightful as is the whole of the Banks Peninsular - Chc has little to nothing to offer a day visitor 

No more Wiamak Gorge jetboat? One of the best tours we have ever done, through the Canterbury countryside to go and jetboat.

23 minutes ago, arxcards said:

No more Wiamak Gorge jetboat? One of the best tours we have ever done, through the Canterbury countryside to go and jetboat.

I'd never pay for a jetboat - but I doubt that its in Chc - the city is a wasteland now (and wasn't great before the quake) 

1 hour ago, lissie said:

I'd never pay for a jetboat - but I doubt that its in Chc - the city is a wasteland now (and wasn't great before the quake) 

I would, did, and had a great time. It was about 50 mins from Lyttelton, through Christchurch and across the plains. The Akaroa locals will be glad there are no ship tours headed their way from this lot. I think I could find something to do out of these.

Cruise Details - 8-Day Australia & New Zealand - Princess Cruises

2 hours ago, lissie said:

It would be on the Waimakariri River outside of Christchurch.

Before the quake Christchurch was beautiful with many lovely old stone buildings, glorious gardens and enough places of interest to kerp you busy for several days. I visited Christchurn many times when I lived in NZ and we last visited Christchurch in 2007. I haven't the heart to go back there at the moment, I prefer to remember it as it was.

5 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It would be on the Waimakariri River outside of Christchurch.

Before the quake Christchurch was beautiful with many lovely old stone buildings, glorious gardens and enough places of interest to kerp you busy for several days. I visited Christchurn many times when I lived in NZ and we last visited Christchurch in 2007. I haven't the heart to go back there at the moment, I prefer to remember it as it was.

We had been to Christchurch many time before the earthquake, and, like you, we didn't have the heart to go back. However, we did visit it again probably in 2018. We were both virtually in tears when we walked around the centre of the city, remembering it how it was.

9 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We had been to Christchurch many time before the earthquake, and, like you, we didn't have the heart to go back. However, we did visit it again probably in 2018. We were both virtually in tears when we walked around the centre of the city, remembering it how it was.

We were planning a 2nd visit to Christchurch on QM2. As were were boarding in Sydney, the news came through for the first of the big quakes, so Wellington was substituted. I would like to go back at the next opportunity.

We actually first visited New Zealand between the two major earthquakes. The damage in Christchurch was evident. On our final day, I thought, oh I would love to climb the cathedral tower but we don't really have time. Maybe next time.

Oh well.