HAL applied Future Cruise Credit without our input

Has anyone had this experience? We had a $10,000+ HAL future cruise credit valid through 12/31/22 which suddenly disappeared this week from our profile on HAL’s website, with a zero balance left.

DH meanwhile noticed that our two-week October cruise package was mysteriously paid in full months ahead of schedule, also with a zero balance. He called our big box TA, they contacted HAL, and unearthed the fact that indeed HAL applied our FCC and, oh yes, we we do still owe $519. Updated paperwork suddenly ensued. 

I thought the use of a FCC was our decision to make. 

Could it have been FCC that also had a 'sail by' expiration date in addition to the 'book by' date? Perhaps HAL saw that the FCC was expiring soon, so applied it to your Oct sailing.

Wow... $10+K for a two week sailing? That must be some kind of cruise!

I have had this problem since the 'Pandemic' started. Each time a change was made to a booking, HAL tried to move FCC (in weird amounts) to the booking that changed.

Example - on an early booking due to policy being different that what was expected I had a small credit on a cruise. I booked Flight Ease for my return flight and HAL moved over $1k to that reservation so that I ended up with a larger credit. I had to get my PCC at the time to move the excess to another cruise which also ended up being cancelled. This was just one of many times this has happened on my account.

• Like 1

Just now, richwmn said:

I have had this problem since the 'Pandemic' started. Each time a change was made to a booking, HAL tried to move FCC (in weird amounts) to the booking that changed.

Example - on an early booking due to policy being different that what was expected I had a small credit on a cruise. I booked Flight Ease for my return flight and HAL moved over $1k to that reservation so that I ended up with a larger credit. I had to get my PCC at the time to move the excess to another cruise which also ended up being cancelled. This was just one of many times this has happened on my account.

Wow, thanks. Thus was a new one for us.

6 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Could it have been FCC that also had a 'sail by' expiration date in addition to the 'book by' date? Perhaps HAL saw that the FCC was expiring soon, so applied it to your Oct sailing.

Wow... $10+K for a two week sailing? That must be some kind of cruise!

Nope, book by and sail by 12/31/2022.

At the time we received FCC and FCC bonus for a cancelled 7/2021 Alaskan cruise, we had 3 cruises booked. About a month later, HAL applied all the bonus FCC to our 7/2022 Alaskan cruise and the rest to our 11/2021 Caribbean cruise. Only problem: the Caribbean balance was less than the FCC. When our TA noticed this, she contacted HAL and they said a refund to our credit card was already being processed. We would have been satisfied with the "extra" being applied to our 2/2022 or 7/2022 cruise, but a credit card refund was certainly acceptable.

We had used a FCD to book the cruise. The FCD amount was rolled into the FCC and included in the amount on which the bonus was calculated. The OBC attached to the FCD was attached to the 7/2022 Alaskan cruise along with the bonus FCC.

Maybe a bit of bookkeeping on my part to keep track of all funds, but HAL returned everything we expected.

• Like 3

Yes.  My FCC disappeared about a year ago.  I called my HAL PCC who found out that the FCC had been sent to the company with whom I had booked an Alaska tour group cruise that was moved to 2022 due to Covid.  I called the travel agency and they discovered the money sitting in my account with them..  That cruise had already been paid in full.  I can’t remember if the agency took care of straightening it out or of I had to call HAL.  Anyway, I got it back.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bennybear said:

... 10k for two weeks seems very average for the cruises we’re looking at. 

I agree, it doesn't take long to hit that mark if you look at a Vista suite and add airfare.

Or booking any itinerary that only has a few departures a year such as Hawaii, which is where that FCC originated.  

• Like 4