Belgium – country, towns and waterways

notamermaid

This small country in Europe borders on the Netherlands, Germany, Luxembourg and France, but also has a coastline along the North Sea.

Despite the country bordering on the popular river cruising countries there is the somewhat curious fact about Belgium that none of the large and at the same time popular river cruising rivers flow through it. Yet the country is sometimes visited on river cruises that focus on this part of Europe. The Meuse is the longest river that flows through Belgium but of the over 900kms only 183kms are actually in Belgium. And the Meuse is sailed by river cruise ships but nowhere nearly as much as the other rivers we so often talk about.

So we need to have a different approach here I think and say: tell us about Belgium! The country, the towns, the excursions from the Netherlands, the waterways that crisscross Belgium and are used by river cruise ships.

To start us off with the waterways here is the European map, which you need to enlarge quite a bit to see the waterways of Belgium:

https://unece.org/DAM/trans/main/sc3/AGN_map_2018.pdf

notamermaid

Notamermaid a regular dig about Belgium has been has there ever been anything famous from that country? Well yes apart from just about the best hot chocolate ever in Bruges which is one of Europe’s  prettiest and most interestingly historic towns. The hand made Lace which the country is famous for, watching a Belgium lace maker at work is fascinating. An excellent Grand Prix venue. The most amazing Le Tour riders home country. There’s loads more but if you get a chance go up and of course down the Atomium in Brussels. A country not to be sniffed at!

Hot chocolate in Bruges sounds lovely. Bruges is probably one of the prettiest towns I have ever been to. And I went in Winter! Would love to go there again. When travelling to England we bypass Aachen (great German town by the way), go through bits of the Netherlands, get stuck in traffic around Brussels and see the motorway exit signs to Ghent and Bruges. I sit in the car and think "must turn off here" but then Calais-Coquelles beckons and what lies beyond...

Brussels is not exactly a beautiful city I find but has some nice spots and some intriguing architecture. I very much enjoyed the main Christmas market many years ago. Must go and explore the Art Nouveau style buildings.

About Ghent: after having only gone past many times I finally wanted to go and see the city, mainly the Altarpiece, newly restored, in 2020. Then a Coronathing came along. Hopefully I can go there this year or next.

https://visit.gent.be/en/see-do/ghent-altarpiece-supreme-divine-art

notamermaid

Our excursion to Bruges with Scenic was on what must have been just about the coldest day without snow, hence the desperate need for chocolate. There was a guy playing the weirdest instrument.

My first visit to Bruges was a school trip hence the emphasis on learning the history etc but of course the main reason was to see ‘The Pageant of the Holy Blood’ well worth it if you get the chance.

We have been to Brussels, Antwerp, and Bruges. 

The Brussels trip was a long weekend. We flew over for Chris's birthday. Antwerp and Bruges were both visited on the same day, from an ocean cruise. We docked in Antwerp and independently took the train to Bruges for a wander about town. Then we had a few minutes to see some highlights in Antwerp after we arrived back in town.

All are beautiful destinations, and worthwhile seeing. Brussels does have its beautiful spots.

We stayed in Liege in eastern Belgium for a few days after our cruise ended in Cologne. Took the train to Liege. I wanted to go to Liege to see the train station designed by Santiago Calatrava; it did not disappoint. We stayed in a small hotel downtown and walked everywhere. Highlights were the Archaeology Museum, the long stone stairways, the food (especially the waffles), and wandering around the city. There were very few tourists there, compared to Bruges and Brussels (where we went for a few days each after Liege).

I really enjoyed our extra week in Belgium before heading home. My favorite city of the three we went to was Liege, hands down.

• Like 1

We had a very interesting visit to The Red Star Line Museum while docked in Antwerp.  This is the link to the English website:  https://www.redstarline.be/en

Both CPTtrips and I have ancestors who came to the USA via ships from Europe, although none left from Antwerp.  The museum was still worth touring for a few hours.  It's within walking distance of the area where most of the river ships dock.  

Lynn

Your time in Brussels would not have been complete without you two climbing another high rise structure. ☺️ Amazing photos. Your next "challenge" in Belgium, the stairs that @bobcatalfie mentioned:

https://walloniabelgiumtourism.co.uk/en-gb/content/montagne-de-bueren-stairs-will-take-your-breath-away

notamermaid

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

Your next "challenge" in Belgium, the stairs that @bobcatalfie mentioned:

https://walloniabelgiumtourism.co.uk/en-gb/content/montagne-de-bueren-stairs-will-take-your-breath-away

notamermaid

That looks great! It's a little too far from Paris to get there on this upcoming trip but I have marked the spot in my Google maps for future reference. Thanks!

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

It's a little too far from Paris

Yes, a bit much for a short hop. For a cruise ending in Cologne - like bobcatalfie did - Liege is a good extension. Just over an hour by fast train, or approach it from the other direction, i.e. Brussels, that is a similar distance. Could be an interesting pre cruise trip out. By that I mean, go to Liege before you start your cruise in Brussels. While Brussels is not a huge river cruise port, a few cruises start there. We will have a look at that soon, as we are at the beginning of the river cruising season and the Tulip time cruises in the Netherlands.

notamermaid

A few pix of Bruges and Antwerp to whet your appetite. 

Buildings along the river.

1360303430_2018_09CPH_LONCruise-170.thumb.JPG.7e1ddd1fcb927f09d04b2c783ed50a57.JPG

View from the belfry.

1199699830_2018_09CPH_LONCruise-182.thumb.JPG.8fd74edddb10b7f17327873501c546fa.JPG

More river views.

2011478482_2018_09CPH_LONCruise-187.thumb.JPG.7d10c2782c67524dc54d0de1cb5e190c.JPG

Two from Market Place, Bruges 

774935446_2018_09CPH_LONCruise-198.thumb.JPG.3fd0d73b43a88f1d45446c0d7fdc8819.JPG

684519584_2018_09CPH_LONCruise-199.thumb.JPG.8a052519f8ca0bee46b65a11c9d61bea.JPG

Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekathedraal, Antwerp 

701141512_2018_09CPH_LONCruise-214.thumb.JPG.014335ba70432357066cc527f78d735e.JPG

Grote Markt, Antwerp. It was getting late by now so the sunlight was weak.

654162433_2018_09CPH_LONCruise-217.thumb.JPG.e402d32935a4dacc7b85a06bb48ba41c.JPG

Beautiful cities.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 3:42 PM, notamermaid said:

While Brussels is not a huge river cruise port, a few cruises start there.

While the Netherlands are naturally the most frequented country for the Springtime/Tulip cruises, Belgium can be part of such an itinerary, ships often visiting the city of Antwerp. Brussels is not a standard port but is the embarkation port for some cruises. Here is the offer by Avalonwaterways: https://www.avalonwaterways.com/river-cruise/tulip-time-highlights/WXA/?season=2022

A similar itinerary for Spring, starting in Brussels is this one by Tauck: https://www.tauck.co.uk/tours/belgium-holland-river-cruise?tcd=rhn2022#itinerary

So I started wandering where the actual docking location is in Brussels. That took a bit of time to figure out, me expecting it to be near the city, not too far from the "Grand Place", i.e. the port area at "North Station" on this map (scroll down): https://port.brussels/en. It isn't. It is a refurbished dock turned into new cruise terminal in 2018 in the outer harbour and I found the details on this website, which gave me the address at Neder-Over-Hembeek: https://canal.brussels/en/content/inauguration-brussels-cruise-terminal

This new-ish terminal is located here on the map in a not so appealing industrial area, next to the company Loxam Bruxelles Nord: https://port.brussels/en/business/interactive-map

I would expect that a river cruise company will provide transport from the airport to there.

Hang on, this is a canal, right? So where is the river? Does Brussels even have a river? Now that is an interesting and somewhat sad story for another day.

notamermaid

My Tulip and Windmills cruise with Uniworld in 2020 embarked in Antwerp. We were a 5 minute walk to the market place. Other than the fact that the ship was hidden behind a multi-storey parking structure, the location was great. Almost none of the sailing was actually on rivers, most was on canals. 

• Like 1

The Antwerp cruise terminal location was great for us when we were there on Silversea. Our ship was taller, so it wasn't hidden by the parking garage. Instead, there was a beautiful view to be had from the top level at sunset. 

DSC_0050.thumb.JPG.a384f2339e03e126a8022c01d29de97c.JPG

I can see how a smaller river boat would be obscured by the structure though.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 3:40 AM, Canal archive said:

Notamermaid a regular dig about Belgium has been has there ever been anything famous from that country? Well yes apart from just about the best hot chocolate ever in Bruges which is one of Europe’s  prettiest and most interestingly historic towns. The hand made Lace which the country is famous for, watching a Belgium lace maker at work is fascinating. An excellent Grand Prix venue. The most amazing Le Tour riders home country. There’s loads more but if you get a chance go up and of course down the Atomium in Brussels. A country not to be sniffed at!

The beer! You totally forgot the beer.

Beer drinker’s rules for Belgium.

- Never ever order the same beer as anyone else in your travel party; share them and pass them around. 

- Never order the same beer twice regardless of how much you liked it.

- Sample as many beers as possible.

- No ketchup on the accompanying frites.

154DE9F4-2AF5-4328-9B83-DCAECD76ADD7.thumb.webp.8e7afe6e60aa5e514b4340ad21fc1b99.webp

7 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

The Antwerp cruise terminal location was great for us when we were there on Silversea. Our ship was taller, so it wasn't hidden by the parking garage. Instead, there was a beautiful view to be had from the top level at sunset. 

DSC_0050.thumb.JPG.a384f2339e03e126a8022c01d29de97c.JPG

I can see how a smaller river boat would be obscured by the structure though.

I took this one from your bow. 🙄

640EE53B-193B-48F8-9268-9AB023627778.jpeg.b3320b1ec05a504d1cd480a3f3ce9f6e.jpeg

• Like 3

Mayo FTW, definitely.

Though at home I use ketchup most of the time, on occasion I will use mayo. Sometimes I grate a little fresh garlic into mayo and make "garlic aioli" for a special treat.

But in Belgium? Mayo without a question.

Would you believe it, in Germany some people use both at the same time! It is called "Pommes rot-weiß". Eek!

I gave up on both years ago with chips, I do not even remember the last time I used ketchup in any food. Mind you, I do use tartare sauce with fish and chips - mainly for the fish.

Belgian chocolate is very popular in Germany, mainly as pralines, and stands for quality here.

Beer 🍺 - we have tons of that ourselves 😀. But it is always good to try out different flavours when you are there.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

31 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Forgot to ask. @CPT Trips what is that place in your photo where you can "drink beer with the Saints"? Looks quite unusual.

notamermaid

It’s right by the cathedral in Antwerp. You will probably spot it without trying. But if you miss it . . . https://elfdegebod.com

Stand facing the main entrance of the cathedral, look left, it’s in the corner with lots of statuary outside. It an easy, make that short, walk back to the river dock. After a stop, your walk might have a stagger to it.

An unrelated question. How do I get the “@username” into a post.

23 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

An unrelated question. How do I get the “@username” into a post

Just type it. It's much simpler than you think. 

Type "@" and immediately start typing the username that you want. Suggestions will come up as you type. Keep typing until the choices are narrowed down and  you can choose the correct one. 

Uppercase vs lowercase doesn't matter. But spaces do matter. And many usernames look alike. Safest to check the exact spelling of the one you'd like to tag before doing so.

@CPT Trips