Drone Question

karatemom2

I see this thread has been resurrected since I first posed the question. @Nickh101 I’m glad you were able to get a clear answer from NCL.  What you were told has been our experience in real practice. Since first asking this question and coming back to report our real life experience we have been on many subsequent cruises on both NCL and Princess and daughter’s boyfriend (now husband) has had no issues. In fact, they recently returned from their honeymoon cruise within the last month and came home with some incredible photography from the ports they visited. So, despite any naysayers here you should have no problem. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

I see this thread has been resurrected since I first posed the question. @Nickh101 I’m glad you were able to get a clear answer from NCL.  What you were told has been our experience in real practice. Since first asking this question and coming back to report our real life experience we have been on many subsequent cruises on both NCL and Princess and daughter’s boyfriend (now husband) has had no issues. In fact, they recently returned from their honeymoon cruise within the last month and came home with some incredible photography from the ports they visited. So, despite any naysayers here you should have no problem. 

Thank you. I thought it was worth the time taking to them. Initially it was an emphatic no until i explained my experience insurance etc and the ability to email all these documents if needed and i stressed the fact i was happy with the ship holding the drone so it was impossible to be any danger to ship or passengers.

Eventually they came back with a positive answer for me which is great 👍🏻 

People that moan on this topic have no idea what they're taking about or the laws in the EU and probably have never flown a drone in their life. ( karens ) 🙄😅

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/7/2023 at 2:26 PM, Nickh101 said:

Hey everyone. Just an update after nearly an hour conversation with NCL today before my upcoming cruise. After they spoke to several departments and people including security and drone pilot in a department somewhere. I have been given permission to take my drone aboard providing i give it to security on boarding to keep and i can have in any port i want. 

as I've my EASA license and USA trust certificate full PL insurance worldwide and work with SAR and fully qualified in the uk etc. So if people with no qualifications or experience could convince them I've no idea but i think the worst they will do is confiscate your drone for the voyage.

Hope this helps 

Do you have a contact info at NCL? We travel full time and have to bring everything with us.

I was just on the Prima and met someone whose drone was confiscated and NCL shipped the drone back to his house in Scotland at his expense. It may depend on the ship’s head of security or the captain. The current Prima captain was not very customer oriented.

• Like 1

Regarding being allowed to bring a drone on a cruise or not:

It is important to note that in some countries it is not allowed to fly a drone in some areas. I live in Norway myself, and in all of Norway It is not permitted to fly closer than 5 km from an airport without permission from the air traffic service, ie. the tower at the airport. And even the entire Oslo city centre is a "no-drone-zone" because of  Almost every day there are tourists with drones who are stopped by the police, fined and the drone often confiscated.

I am pretty certain Norway is not the only country that have these restrictions. And a "no-drone-zone" five km (3 miles) in all directions from an airport, is a larger area than most people would think... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrumpyNor said:

It is important to note that in some countries it is not allowed to fly a drone in some areas. I live in Norway myself, and in all of Norway It is not permitted to fly closer than 5 km from an airport without permission from the air traffic service, ie. the tower at the airport. And even the entire Oslo city centre is a "no-drone-zone" because of  Almost every day there are tourists with drones who are stopped by the police, fined and the drone often confiscated.

I am pretty certain Norway is not the only country that have these restrictions. And a "no-drone-zone" five km (3 miles) in all directions from an airport, is a larger area than most people would think... 

These are fairly standard rules worldwide, any responsible drone pilot would know, whether recreational, and especially FAA or EU licensed drone professionals. Needless to say, there will be clueless idiots who shouldn't be allowed to own a drone in the first place.

• Like 2

On 10/14/2023 at 6:13 AM, yoengel said:

Do you have a contact info at NCL? We travel full time and have to bring everything with us.

I was just on the Prima and met someone whose drone was confiscated and NCL shipped the drone back to his house in Scotland at his expense. It may depend on the ship’s head of security or the captain. The current Prima captain was not very customer oriented.

That's a bit drastic. 😳 im travelling on the jade. I don't have a specific contact at Ncl only what i said about my experience in my call with them. I think it will definitely depend on the ship and person you talk to. But i was told they would take my qualifications insurance and experience into account and would simply keep the drone until i was in port then take it back off me when i board again. 

Ive had the same with MSC they didn't even bother to confiscate it on virtuosa. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 8:44 PM, TrumpyNor said:

If you've passed your EASA then you're very well aware of the European laws which include norway. 

The answer i have given here is from an experienced fully insured and qualified pilot that flys worldwide. Most hobby drone users i agree don't have a clue about local laws in each country as some can supersed EASA with local regs on top. So research is needed for each location 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Nickh101 said:

That's a bit drastic. 😳 im travelling on the jade. I don't have a specific contact at Ncl only what i said about my experience in my call with them. I think it will definitely depend on the ship and person you talk to. But i was told they would take my qualifications insurance and experience into account and would simply keep the drone until i was in port then take it back off me when i board again. 

Did you call the ship or general customer service?

I've tried calling Princess customer service and explained my situation and they are quite useless. I told them that I'm a professional photographer/drone pilot and full time traveler, and I also asked about one-way transatlantic trips. They just kept repeating that drones are not allowed and someone even said that I won't be allowed to board, which is even more drastic than shipping the drone back home.

As far as I know, only NCL and Princess have these drone policies that are not well thought out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yoengel said:

Did you call the ship or general customer service?

I've tried calling Princess customer service and explained my situation and they are quite useless. I told them that I'm a professional photographer/drone pilot and full time traveler, and I also asked about one-way transatlantic trips. They just kept repeating that drones are not allowed and someone even said that I won't be allowed to board, which is even more drastic than shipping the drone back home.

As far as I know, only NCL and Princess have these drone policies that are not well thought out.

This is a copy and paste from what I said in 2022

I've brought mine on three cruises, Bermuda and Eastern and Western Caribbean. Packed it in my checked luggage and then took it on and off the ship in a small backpack. Only in Bermuda was I asked to leave it with security. They gave me a card and to get it when I wanted to take it off the ship. It was actually kind of funny, a bunch of the officers were really interested in it and I ended up doing a 30 minute demo for them. They gave me permission to fly over the shipped while it was docked, NLC asked if the could use some of my footage. IDK if they ever did

We are going on the Gem again to Bermuda June 2024. And yes I will be bring my drone. Packed the same way with other camera gear in checked luggage

Edited by Laszlo

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2023 at 11:44 AM, Nickh101 said:

You were so lucky… spent 2 months to contact NCL, tried through the agency I booked. Had contact with several customer support, even one fake account on Facebook. Wanted to provide them my EASA registration, the FAA, etc. nothing worked. They even threatened if drone found would be confiscated by them and not returned. And I’m visiting South America and at the end of the cruise have 10 more days inland. So I’m pretty pissed with them NCL and most probably won’t waste my time anymore with them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/7/2023 at 10:16 AM, karatemom2 said:

So, despite any naysayers here you should have no problem. 

I would not bank on that.  Each country is sovereign and makes its own laws.  Spectrum use varies around the world.  What is unlicensed and often used for baby monitors in the US is used by police radios in Germany.

Ports are also often high security locations, often with naval ships based there.  Many countries prohibit drone flights over/near military bases.  And there may be helicopter or other low altitude aircraft operations incompatible with drone operation.

Every location is unique and must be investigated properly, vice accepting cruise message board that "you should have no problem".  You could have major problems such as arrest.  Even being detained for investigation could make you miss the ship's departure.  (Maybe you could film it sailing away!!) 

• Like 2

On 12/21/2023 at 5:58 PM, itsnotjustme said:

I would not bank on that.  Each country is sovereign and makes its own laws.  Spectrum use varies around the world.  What is unlicensed and often used for baby monitors in the US is used by police radios in Germany.

Ports are also often high security locations, often with naval ships based there.  Many countries prohibit drone flights over/near military bases.  And there may be helicopter or other low altitude aircraft operations incompatible with drone operation.

Every location is unique and must be investigated properly, vice accepting cruise message board that "you should have no problem".  You could have major problems such as arrest.  Even being detained for investigation could make you miss the ship's departure.  (Maybe you could film it sailing away!!) 

Thank you so much for your soapbox response to my comment which simply related to our PERSONAL experience bringing drone on and off the ship. No problem. 

Related to the direction you chose to take this conversation - yes every location has different rules. Any licensed and experienced drone user like my son in law are well aware. He researches the laws and limitations for each port in advance and respects a complies with any rules and restrictions. It’s really not hard. Just part of being a responsible and respectful drone owner. 

So, thanks for your “thoughtful” response to my comment. I’m not the least bit concerned about my SIL ending up detained or in jail - he is a trained, licensed professional and knows how to follow rules wherever he travels. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Thank you so much for your soapbox response to my comment which simply related to our PERSONAL experience bringing drone on and off the ship. No problem. 

Related to the direction you chose to take this conversation - yes every location has different rules. Any licensed and experienced drone user like my son in law are well aware. He researches the laws and limitations for each port in advance and respects a complies with any rules and restrictions. It’s really not hard. Just part of being a responsible and respectful drone owner. 

So, thanks for your “thoughtful” response to my comment. I’m not the least bit concerned about my SIL ending up detained or in jail - he is a trained, licensed professional and knows how to follow rules wherever he travels. 

Take the drone, I have on numerous cruises. The worst thing that happened is I had to take the drone back to a locked room when I came back from being off the ship in port. The best thing that happened was a number of the officers were so inthralled with it I was invited up to the bridge 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/18/2023 at 2:44 AM, Nickh101 said:

Thanks for sharing your experience. 

Did you already travel on the Jade? 

My family & I will be on the Jade later this year, and I was wondering how your experience was/will be, with regards to the drone. 

I just have my drone for recreational pruposes. I have a Mini, so I don't have to register with the FAA, or get my part 107 cert, since it's under 250grams.

I have the TRUST Cert.  I also have a fireproof bag for my drone batteries. 

I just called NCL main number and I was told that if I even try to bring my drone on board, that "the authorities will be called", and I "will be detained."

I asked why I would be detained. All he would tell me was that he was referencing the "prohibited/illegal items list", and "it says at the top of the page that the authorities will be called. 

🤷‍♂️🤣

14 minutes ago, Scooty19 said:

My family & I will be on the Jade later this year, and I was wondering how your experience was/will be, with regards to the drone. 

I just have my drone for recreational pruposes. I have a Mini, so I don't have to register with the FAA, or get my part 107 cert, since it's under 250grams.

I just called NCL main number and I was told that if I even try to bring my drone on board, that "the authorities will be called", and I "will be detained."

I asked why I would be detained. All he would tell me was that he was referencing the "prohibited/illegal items list", and "it says at the top of the page that the authorities will be called. 

🤷‍♂️🤣

I can only tell you my experience im afraid. I think they were more willing because of my qualifications and experience. But i don't think for one minute they would call the authorities lol they may confiscate your drone but i would imagine that's the worst that could happen tbh. I think a lot celebs on the ship the crew at the time etc etc. Ive taken them through msc scanners in hand luggage and not even been questioned before. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Nickh101 said:

I can only tell you my experience im afraid. I think they were more willing because of my qualifications and experience. But i don't think for one minute they would call the authorities lol they may confiscate your drone but i would imagine that's the worst that could happen tbh. I think a lot celebs on the ship the crew at the time etc etc. Ive taken them through msc scanners in hand luggage and not even been questioned before. 

When you say "msc scanners", do you mean scanners at ports, when you board a ship? 

43 minutes ago, Scooty19 said:

When you say "msc scanners", do you mean scanners at ports, when you board a ship? 

Yes the ones like airport scanners at security not when i initially embark i put it it main suitcase then but Took it off ship at port and back on through the ship scanners and it was ignored completely 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Scooty19 said:

🤷‍♂️🤣

NCL are the worst to travel nowadays. Bunch of incompetent idiots make their rules and customer service is non existent. I’m sure the ones that work there don’t even know what they are doing…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Scooty19 said:

I just have my drone for recreational purposes. I have a Mini, so I don't have to register with the FAA, or get my part 107 cert, since it's under 250grams.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

FAA. Hmmmm. Are you only going to use it in a US port of call? 

Are you legal in the foreign countries you want to operate in? Are you legal to broadcast in the frequency range of your drone controller in every country you want to operate in. You wont be in Kansas any longer, Toto. 

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

FAA. Hmmmm. Are you only going to use it in a US port of call? 

Are you legal in the foreign countries you want to operate in? Are you legal to broadcast in the frequency range of your drone controller in every country you want to operate in. You wont be in Kansas any longer, Toto. 

Litlle Birdy, 

I already researched the foreign cities I will be in.  I can legally fly a drone in all three. I read the laws for each country. I also looked at two different maps from two different sites/apps, to compare any discrepancies. (they were both the same) 

• Like 1

scooty of unknown size, did you research NCL's policy about drones, other than asking a bunch of anonymous strangers on this forum what they thought? and rejecting NCL's own advice after you called?

NCL prohibits drones.

nothing much else matters. it's all noise. have some people brought drones onboard? yup. sure looks like they have. 

but that doesn't change pone simple fact: NCL prohibits drones.

this reminds me of the folks who try to take marijuana onboard because it is "legal" in their home state or the port of embarkation. and their friends say they did and it was cool. or the folks who insist on vaping throughout the ship, even though its prohibited except where smoking is permitted... because, they say,  they're not bothering anybody.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, UKstages said:

scooty of unknown size, did you research NCL's policy about drones, other than asking a bunch of anonymous strangers on this forum what they thought? and rejecting NCL's own advice after you called?

NCL prohibits drones.

nothing much else matters. it's all noise. have some people brought drones onboard? yup. sure looks like they have. 

but that doesn't change pone simple fact: NCL prohibits drones.

this reminds me of the folks who try to take marijuana onboard because it is "legal" in their home state or the port of embarkation. and their friends say they did and it was cool. or the folks who insist on vaping throughout the ship, even though its prohibited except where smoking is permitted... because, they say,  they're not bothering anybody.

I replied directly to a person that has experience bringing a drone on a Norwegian cruise ship. 

Thanks for replying, Karen. 

Edited by Scooty19
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Scooty19 said:

I replied directly to a person that has experience bringing a drone on a Norwegian cruise ship. 

Thanks for replying, Karen. 

Bring it, know how to take it on and off the ship, fly it safe and you will most likely be safe. The one time my drone was "Confiscated" taken to the naughty room where I was given a tag so I could take it on and off the ship I got to meet some officers and was invited to the bridge Lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1