Solstice--is there an outdoor place with shade and wooden deck chairs available?

12cruise2

Hello--we've never cruised Celebrity before but have cruised Holland America a lot, and also Princess and Royal Caribbean.  Is there an outdoor place on deck on the Solstice that has some 1) peace and quiet with 2) shade and 3) the wooden deck chairs, or comfortable deck chairs with a cushion?  We don't want to be in the direct sun light and in the hustle and bustle and crowds by a busy pool--any chance of that?  Thank you all so much for your help.

One could find spaces like that by the grass lawn that the Solstice was known for.  We haven't seen the Solstice since early 2020 (2019 in Seattle) due to the pandemic.  I think that the grass lawn area was reincorporated into the outdoor Retreat area - can someone confirm?

There are deck chairs on Deck 5 but I believe the old wooden ones have been replaced with ones with soft cushions.    I remember because they had a sofa type chair and the tender was dripping grease on it. 

There are also PVC lounger with cover aft whee they have the outdoor Big Screen. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

One could find spaces like that by the grass lawn that the Solstice was known for.  We haven't seen the Solstice since early 2020 (2019 in Seattle) due to the pandemic.  I think that the grass lawn area was reincorporated into the outdoor Retreat area - can someone confirm?

Lawn club is still there, but I don't recall seeing any lawn chairs there.   They did have regular chairs both in the sun and in the shade (one side being the smoking area).

They have installed Cabana's on the Lawn but some bring blankets and lay on the grass.

The Retreat Sundeck is located on Deck 16 Forward -  You may remember it as a sunbathing area with Glass Wind Shields overlooking the Helipad (Previously Called the Solstice Deck). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Lawn club is still there, but I don't recall seeing any lawn chairs there.   They did have regular chairs both in the sun and in the shade (one side being the smoking area).

I was last on the Solstice in 2018 (pretty sure).  I recall some cool looking wooden chairs around the entrances/exits leading back into the ship near the lawn.  They were near the glass blowing area, and depending which side the sun was on, you could find a seat the shady side.  The chairs probably were not true loungers, but comfy chairs never-the-less.

At the terminal check-in counter there were small glass planters with artificial grass to introduce the passengers to the large lawn.  I hope the Solstice's atrium tree survived - I thought having a living tree was so awesome on the ship. 

Remind me, is the lawn deck on 15, or...?

9 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I was last on the Solstice in 2018 (pretty sure).  I recall some cool looking wooden chairs around the entrances/exits leading back into the ship near the lawn.  They were near the glass blowing area, and depending which side the sun was on, you could find a seat the shady side.  The chairs probably were not true loungers, but comfy chairs never-the-less.

At the terminal check-in counter there were small glass planters with artificial grass to introduce the passengers to the large lawn.  I hope the Solstice's atrium tree survived - I thought having a living tree was so awesome on the ship. 

Remind me, is the lawn deck on 15, or...?

I know the area you are speaking of but unfortunately they have been removed and replaced with money making cabanas, that always seem empty.

The Lawn Club Cabanas, Celebrity Solstice.

Further Aft near the bar they have seating like this on both side of the ship.   Port Side is a smoking area

CelLaw-73008-1510929517.webp

• Like 2

We were on the Reflection last month,  there were  wood Adirondack chairs on both sides of the lawn as you are heading to the Sunset bar.  Depending upon time of day and direction of the ship they can be in the shade.  I have seen them on every S class pre pandemic and hope they haven’t been removed.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, many new cruise ships have modified the Promenade Deck which was once a great feature on Ocean Liners. They used to be lined with Wooden Chairs and provided a great view of the Ocean and protection from the Sun or Rain. They also encircled the ship allowing you to have a great walking track, etc. It seems there only purpose now is for loading the lifeboats. They have been modified over the years as more balcony cabins have been added. I do miss many features from the traditional Ocean Liners, but I guess it’s time to move on.

4 minutes ago, HBDave said:

Unfortunately, many new cruise ships have modified the Promenade Deck which was once a great feature on Ocean Liners. They used to be lined with Wooden Chairs and provided a great view of the Ocean and protection from the Sun or Rain. They also encircled the ship allowing you to have a great walking track, etc. It seems there only purpose now is for loading the lifeboats. They have been modified over the years as more balcony cabins have been added. I do miss many features from the traditional Ocean Liners, but I guess it’s time to move on.

The still have chairs on the M-Class and S-Class in those locations but they are not the original wooden loungers.    They are wooden chars with fabric cushions on them.   It is a nice quiet place but be warned the Starboard side mid-ship is the smoking area    They sometimes shift the smoking area forward in heavy winds.

Celebrity Silhouette Promenade Pictures

• Like 1

Shade depends on where the sun is when the ship is sailing.

Shade doesn’t protect you from the sun.   On one cruise we were sitting in the  shade on the lawn area along the starboard side.  We got burned from the reflection off of the water or whatever.   Lesson learned.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅