Hotels near John Wayne Airport or San Pedro?

Muttster

My wife and I are flying in on April 29th for a cruise the next day.  We would like to avoid LAX as much as possible so we are considering flying into John Wayne Airport.  Does it make more sense to find a hotel by the San Pedro cruise port or just stay around the airport and then take an Uber the next morning?  Either way - what hotels would you recommend and how much do you think it would cost for an Uber to go to the cruise port?

Muttster,

I am on that April 30 Majestic Princess as well...Of course, I live only a little over an hour from San Pedro, so my priorities are a bit different...

I used to live and work closer to SNA so used to fly in and out of there often...And now I live closer to BUR, so I use that airport a bit...BUT, for most trips I end up using LAX--because of the much larger flight selection and often better pricing...

I know a lot of people are intimidated by LAX, but, personally, I would NOT go to any lengths to avoid it...especially in YOUR situation...Since you are on a one-way cruise, you would only be ARRIVING at LAX.  So, you would NOT be dealing with check-in, security, etc.   Since you are not transferring there, you also don't have to deal with the size of the airport and getting around it.  All you would have to do is to arrive at a gate, proceed down the hall to baggage claim and head outside to the curb.  At that point, depending on your choice of ground transportation, you could even get picked up right at the curb (limo, black car, hotel shuttle).  For Uber, Lyft or taxi, there is a short, frequent shuttle ride to a pick-up lot...and a short 20 mile Uber ride to San Pedro.

Now, it's been some time since I've flown out of SNA, so I wouldn't be that good at recommending current hotels nearby--but, personally, I wouldn't stay there...or ANY airport area...There are hotels there, but it's generally just a large office building area...and you're leaving yourself a long Uber ride in the morning.  No matter where you fly into, I would get an immediate Uber to San Pedro and check into the Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree (I have stayed in both hotels recently--before my last two Princess cruises out of San Pedro.  The Doubletree is in a calmer, quieter and more scenic location. the Crowne Plaza in a very convenient location.   Doubletree has a free shuttle to the port and will also shuttle you to nearby restaurants--as there are few in walking distance.  The CP has several very good restaurant choices within a couple of blocks (We always end up eating at the San Pedro Brewing Co. and the Green Onion--both within half a block of the CP)...and they will shuttle you to the pier for $5 pp--though it's actually walking distance for many...

The key to getting right to San Pedro the day before is that you can relax and have a very stress-free embarkation morning.

Good luck...and see you onboard the Majestic on April 30!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

That isn't a valid web address. Even if it were the official Uber web page for obtaining price estimates is https://www.uber.com/global/en/price-estimate/ .

Used to be, but you are correct. No longer valid.

Overall, good suggestion...it is very easy to get an estimate of an Uber fare.

I go to pains to avoid LAX because it is a pain in the keester. If I lived in Manhattan Beach I'd bite the bullet and use LAX. I don't live in MB so no bullet biting. When I fly international I usually use SFO (my office is in SF), such is my disdain/dislike of LAX.

If you fly into SNA you have the option of a dozen or more hotels and more options for dining, especially great Asian food.

That said, just one night, I'd probably choose San Pedro and the DoubleTree San Pedro or the Crowne Plaza. There are several nice restaurants walkable from either.

Downtown Long Beach is also an option. There is every major chain in DTLB, lots of great dining and some nightlife. In the morning it is quick trip on the Gerald Desmond Bridge, that takes you over LB and LA harbors. I get a bit of a thrill seeing my ship parked below my as the bridge drops down into San Pedro.

I too avoid LAX.  If you are getting in late then I would stay near SNA.  As I recall SNA is under noise restrictions so I doubt you get in to late.  I'm a Hilton brand loyal and usually stay right across the street from the airport.  If you have cruise luggage then you will need to catch a cab to the hotel.  If you think you can roll your stuff you could walk.  But it's a bit of a pain getting through the parking structure to the street.  Hotel bar and restaurant where good as was Gulliver's prime rib just down the street.  But it's been a few years since I ate at either one.  Either place you decide to stay will just be a boring business area.          

16 hours ago, scottca075 said:

In the morning it is quick trip on the Gerald Desmond Bridge, that takes you over LB and LA harbors. I get a bit of a thrill seeing my ship parked below my as the bridge drops down into San Pedro.

One small nitpick:   The Gerald Desmond Bridge is the smaller bridge at the end of the 710 Freeway, taking you from Long Beach onto the Eastern end of Terminal Island.  It has been replaced by the new "Long Beach International Gateway Bridge" and is scheduled for demolition.  The much larger bridge on the Western side of the harbor that drops into San Pedro just above the cruise port is the Vincent Thomas Bridge.

Gerald Desmond Bridge:

Gerald_Desmond_Bridge_%28old%29_from_north_looking_south-southeast_crop.jpg

New Long Beach International Gateway Bridge:

image.jpeg

Vincent Thomas Bridge:

image.jpeg.6e7504bb852cbd4baf5fcfecdc593b6a.jpeg

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 1:20 AM, Bruin Steve said:

Muttster,

I am on that April 30 Majestic Princess as well...Of course, I live only a little over an hour from San Pedro, so my priorities are a bit different...

I used to live and work closer to SNA so used to fly in and out of there often...And now I live closer to BUR, so I use that airport a bit...BUT, for most trips I end up using LAX--because of the much larger flight selection and often better pricing...

I know a lot of people are intimidated by LAX, but, personally, I would NOT go to any lengths to avoid it...especially in YOUR situation...Since you are on a one-way cruise, you would only be ARRIVING at LAX.  So, you would NOT be dealing with check-in, security, etc.   Since you are not transferring there, you also don't have to deal with the size of the airport and getting around it.  All you would have to do is to arrive at a gate, proceed down the hall to baggage claim and head outside to the curb.  At that point, depending on your choice of ground transportation, you could even get picked up right at the curb (limo, black car, hotel shuttle).  For Uber, Lyft or taxi, there is a short, frequent shuttle ride to a pick-up lot...and a short 20 mile Uber ride to San Pedro.

Now, it's been some time since I've flown out of SNA, so I wouldn't be that good at recommending current hotels nearby--but, personally, I wouldn't stay there...or ANY airport area...There are hotels there, but it's generally just a large office building area...and you're leaving yourself a long Uber ride in the morning.  No matter where you fly into, I would get an immediate Uber to San Pedro and check into the Crowne Plaza or the Doubletree (I have stayed in both hotels recently--before my last two Princess cruises out of San Pedro.  The Doubletree is in a calmer, quieter and more scenic location. the Crowne Plaza in a very convenient location.   Doubletree has a free shuttle to the port and will also shuttle you to nearby restaurants--as there are few in walking distance.  The CP has several very good restaurant choices within a couple of blocks (We always end up eating at the San Pedro Brewing Co. and the Green Onion--both within half a block of the CP)...and they will shuttle you to the pier for $5 pp--though it's actually walking distance for many...

The key to getting right to San Pedro the day before is that you can relax and have a very stress-free embarkation morning.

Good luck...and see you onboard the Majestic on April 30!

In your opinion, which would be the better choice for one night pre-cruise - Doubletree or Crown Plaza? Both similar price. This would be on a Saturday night and we are looking for somewhere to stay only - no activities planned other than a decent dinner and a few beers and somewhere to grab breakfast next day!

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

In your opinion, which would be the better choice for one night pre-cruise - Doubletree or Crown Plaza?

Either or. I think the setting of the DoubleTree is a little nicer, but the Crowne Plaza is walkable to the port, if you so choose.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

One small nitpick:   The Gerald Desmond Bridge is the smaller bridge at the end of the 710 Freeway, taking you from Long Beach onto the Eastern end of Terminal Island.  It has been replaced by the new "Long Beach International Gateway Bridge" and is scheduled for demolition.

Well poor Gerald Desmond. At one time the new bridge was to keep the name.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-10-02/long-beach-gerald-desmond-bridge

7 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

In your opinion, which would be the better choice for one night pre-cruise - Doubletree or Crown Plaza? Both similar price. This would be on a Saturday night and we are looking for somewhere to stay only - no activities planned other than a decent dinner and a few beers and somewhere to grab breakfast next day!

I stayed at the Doubletree the night before my last pre-pandemic cruise...and at the Crowne Plaza the night before my October 30, 2021 Majestic Princess cruise...so fairly recent experience at both.  I like both for different reasons.  I'd say the Doubletree is a little newer, a little nicer and in a more picturesque location.  The CP is a little more "worn"--but they were doing some renovations when we were there in October.

We drive down to Pedro, so we use the "Park 'n' stay" deals...I prefer the parking situation at the CP...The Doubletree is a surface lot...and uncontrolled.  The CP has underground parking in a secured lot...and we were able to park between a wall and a pillar--where no one could put a door ding in my wife's new car...and it's not exposed to the elements.

The Doubletree really doesn't have many restaurants close by--the 22nd Street Landing Seafood is about the only one really in walking distance.  The hotel will shuttle you to restaurants in Downtown Pedro...but that's a small extra hassle...didn't matter as much to us since we had our car.  The Crowne Plaza has several restaurants within a couple of short blocks...We tend to always eat at the San Pedro Brewing Co. and the Green Onion (Mexican)--both of which are within a half block of the CP--both reasonably priced and casual.

From the Doubletree, they'll shuttle you to the pier or back for free.  The CP now charges $5 pp--so figure that...or an Uber...into your pricing...but its a REALLY cheap Uber ride...It's only about three blocks!  Of course, you can also walk to the pier from the CP--I've done it twice.

It really all depends on what you are looking for in a hotel...but, based on your description of "looking for somewhere to stay only - no activities planned other than a decent dinner and a few beers and somewhere to grab breakfast next day", I'd go with the CP--You can have dinner and a few beers at the San Pedro Brewing Co. and there are a few places to grab breakfast nearby as well--without dealing with any transportation issues.

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

I stayed at the Doubletree the night before my last pre-pandemic cruise...and at the Crowne Plaza the night before my October 30, 2021 Majestic Princess cruise...so fairly recent experience at both.  I like both for different reasons.  I'd say the Doubletree is a little newer, a little nicer and in a more picturesque location.  The CP is a little more "worn"--but they were doing some renovations when we were there in October.

We drive down to Pedro, so we use the "Park 'n' stay" deals...I prefer the parking situation at the CP...The Doubletree is a surface lot...and uncontrolled.  The CP has underground parking in a secured lot...and we were able to park between a wall and a pillar--where no one could put a door ding in my wife's new car...and it's not exposed to the elements.

The Doubletree really doesn't have many restaurants close by--the 22nd Street Landing Seafood is about the only one really in walking distance.  The hotel will shuttle you to restaurants in Downtown Pedro...but that's a small extra hassle...didn't matter as much to us since we had our car.  The Crowne Plaza has several restaurants within a couple of short blocks...We tend to always eat at the San Pedro Brewing Co. and the Green Onion (Mexican)--both of which are within a half block of the CP--both reasonably priced and casual.

From the Doubletree, they'll shuttle you to the pier or back for free.  The CP now charges $5 pp--so figure that...or an Uber...into your pricing...but its a REALLY cheap Uber ride...It's only about three blocks!  Of course, you can also walk to the pier from the CP--I've done it twice.

It really all depends on what you are looking for in a hotel...but, based on your description of "looking for somewhere to stay only - no activities planned other than a decent dinner and a few beers and somewhere to grab breakfast next day", I'd go with the CP--You can have dinner and a few beers at the San Pedro Brewing Co. and there are a few places to grab breakfast nearby as well--without dealing with any transportation issues.

Thank you - I appreciate this so much! We have always gone in 2 or 3 days prior and stayed in Long Beach in the past, but this time is over Easter weekend and the price on flights is insane so keeping it to one night pre-cruise. Just booked Crown Plaza for the night and did the added breakfast option for an additional $7CAD per person - how bad can it be for that price? Bonus was that my credit card points covered the entire cot, so that cut the sting of paying more for flights than for the cruise....

Thanks again - your knowledge of this area has helped in many of our decisions on where to stay and how to get to various places!

Hi All, we’re staying at the DT San Pedro for our next cruise. We have never cruised from there before and are unfamiliar with the area.  Can someone please let me know the best way to get from LAX to the hotel?  Uber/Lift/taxi or shuttle?  Appreciate any info and thanks.  

21 minutes ago, lovemycruisetoo said:

Hi All, we’re staying at the DT San Pedro for our next cruise. We have never cruised from there before and are unfamiliar with the area.  Can someone please let me know the best way to get from LAX to the hotel?  Uber/Lift/taxi or shuttle?  Appreciate any info and thanks.  

Uber...

But it depends on what you mean by "best"...(some people prefer to pay more for black car/limo curb pick-up to avoid the shuttle)

From LAX nowadays, you need to go out to the curb from baggage claim and catch a short and frequent shuttle ride to the LAX-it lot, then book on your Uber app from there.  Uber (or Lyft) will give you the best price to San Pedro...When you check in, remember to schedule the hotel shuttle to the pier.

Also, in the immediate are of the Doubletree, there are not a lot of restaurants...The 22nd Street Landing (Seafood) is walking distance... 

Dinner Menu — 22nd St. Landing Seafood Grill & Bar (22ndstlandingrestaurant.com)

If you want something other than sea food, ask at the hotel desk about getting shuttled to and from one of the downtown restaurants...

Dining Menu - American Cuisine Restaurant - San Pedro Brewing Co.

Menu (greenonionmexicanrestaurant.com)

Menu - Raffaello Ristorante - Italian Restaurant in San Pedro, CA

J. Trani's Ristorante menu - San Pedro CA 90731 - (877) 585-1085 (allmenus.com)

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

Bruin Steve, scottca075

Thank you both so much for you quick replies and all the great information. We don’t mind paying extra or taking shuttles but like to travel with some idea of what we have to do. DH doesn’t eat fish but if they have a meat/poultry dish, we’re good.  😊