Return to port (Juneau) 1.5 hrs before departure OK?

sawston123

Will be visiting Juneau in July aboard the Grand Princess and trying to line up an independent excursion. Looks like we'd be getting back to Juneau 1.5 hours before scheduled departure, which seems OK but I thought I read Princess recommends being back on the ship 2 hours prior to departure? The ship will be docking at the Cruise Terminal dock, which is where we'd be dropped off after the tour so it seems we'd be fine. Are we ok within the 1.5 hour return window?

1 hour ago, sawston123 said:

Will be visiting Juneau in July aboard the Grand Princess and trying to line up an independent excursion. Looks like we'd be getting back to Juneau 1.5 hours before scheduled departure, which seems OK but I thought I read Princess recommends being back on the ship 2 hours prior to departure? The ship will be docking at the Cruise Terminal dock, which is where we'd be dropped off after the tour so it seems we'd be fine. Are we ok within the 1.5 hour return window?

The 2 hrs is normally for embarkation ports, as the ship's manifest must be finalised and forwarded to the local authorities before departure.

In most other ports it is normally all aboard 30 mins before departure, with the time posted at the gangway and also published in the Princess Patter. Personally, in Juneau, I am comfortable with a planned return to the ship of 45 - 60 mins before departure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In general the independent tour operators are very good about the timing of ship departure. If the 1.5 hr means in downtown that leaves you with lots of time to spare. If however the 1.5 means to the Juneau dock near airport which is a 30 min or longer ride to downtown then I would wonder about it. sightcrr

On 3/19/2022 at 12:43 PM, Heidi13 said:

The 2 hrs is normally for embarkation ports, as the ship's manifest must be finalised and forwarded to the local authorities before departure.

In most other ports it is normally all aboard 30 mins before departure, with the time posted at the gangway and also published in the Princess Patter. Personally, in Juneau, I am comfortable with a planned return to the ship of 45 - 60 mins before departure.

Lingo is confusing , but this is the correct  answer.  The 2 hour rule is for when you first are getting on board the ship.   After that, it’s up to your comfort level.   Plenty of YouTube videos of people missing getting back on board after taking too long in a port.    It’s a good system, the ship’s crew knows who is back on board and who isn’t.