Indonesian Food in Amsterdam

Foolrex

Staying in Amsterdam for a couple of nights post-river cruise and have been told that while there we must try Indonesian food (specifically rijstaffel, if I am spelling that correctly) by my brother-in-law. We are staying in a neighborhood called Kadijken (AirBnB), if that matters. I know there are some friendly locals that would like to help us out here! (Wow, I am already up to two posts, the other in the First Timers forum, and we haven't cruised yet!)

Rijsttafel Places are pretty common in Amsterdam. I’m only seeing a couple near your area, and I don’t know them. Hopefully one of the locals can help. The place I’ve eaten and loved is Restaurant Blauw. Absent other recommendations, Google that as a start. And I’ll be taking notes for recommendations from locals!

Go hungry…

1 hour ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Amstelveenseweg 158 – 160, Amsterdam – www.restaurantblauw.nl

Good to see the one I've eaten at a couple of times isn't a complete tourist trap if you're listing it! 🙂

• Like 1

That's a shame to hear about Tempo Doeloe. It really was excellent. In fact, it's the only time where I've travelled internationally just to eat at a restaurant. Flew to Amsterdam, had dinner, slept, flight home next morning .

But, if I may put in a word of warning of a place to avoid. That'd be Srikandi. We ordered the "gourmet" rijstaffel. It was poor. Apart from a couple of the dishes, spicing had clearly been dumbed down and wasnt at all as we experienced in the past at the likes of Tempo Doeloe. And service was very slow and indifferent - one other table got up and walked out as they were being ignored. A classic tourist trap attitude to customers.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all; the correct spelling is rijsttafel. The name comes from the Dutch words for rice (rijst) and table (tafel). 
I don’t know any restaurant that offers a rijsttafel for 1 person, but every Indonesian restaurant will have a dish called “nasi rames” on their menu. This is basically a miniature version of a rijsttafel served together on 1 plate.