Issues with getting spouse Diamond status

31 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I appreciate you correcting my comment regarding my grandchildren as D+.  Typed it in the heat of the discussion and it was an incorrect statement, which I don't like doing.  They most certainly would be part of their parents status, not their grandparents.  But then again, under a "forever status" program, why not??  LOL.

Although my Adult Daughter was Diamond under me and they did give my Grand Daughter Diamond also. Yes a mistake, Royal IT Consistently Inconsistent. Funny thing is my Daughter keeps having trouble getting her Husband her matched Earned Status. Keeps dropping off every time she goes Cruise she has jump threw hoops get his 

So, the only thing I can find is the fine print in the Terms & Conditions, and it does not come close to answering the question of a companion receiving an inherited status.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/crown-anchor-society/legal

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/crown-and-anchor-society-benefit-grid.pdf

"A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status; however Cruise Points will remain according to actual cruises taken and calculated using the Program level accrual system described above. Pinnacle Club member tier status will not be awarded to dependents if earned by their parent and/or guardian. Pinnacle Club member tier status can only be earned by an individual, spouse or significant other by one of them accumulating 700 Cruise Points or more in the CAS program. For all tiers except Pinnacle Club, a relationship is defined as a spouse or significant other and children less than 18 years old. For Pinnacle Club a relationship is considered a spouse and/or significant other."

Even the part about children is not clear, as it says:

"19 Children share the same tier (up to Diamond Plus) as their parent until age 18. Children of Pinnacle Club members enjoy select onboard benefits of their parents, however, not the tier. Children will be removed of a relationship with a parent or guardian upon their 18th birthday. If it is found that a dependent or child is not immediately removed from a relationship upon their 18th birthday and accumulates a higher tier status outside of this time period, the dependent's record will be adjusted back to the appropriate tier status."

The first sentence reads as though @leaveitallbehind is correct, however, if that were the case, that last line would be unnecessary, as their status would automatically be adjusted 100% of the time upon being removed, regardless of whether or not their parent accumulated a higher tier status after they turned 18.

And neither of these actually address what happens to status when a person is removed from a relationship.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Your children only retain your status at age 18 (which IIRC was Diamond).  The only way for them to get to D+ is based on their actual earned points.

I understand that.  What I don't understand or agree with  is the comment that at 18 when converting to their own account they retain whatever status they had based on their parents forever - and they would then attain the next tier(s) on their own points.  My understanding is that their own tier level is determined at 18 when converting to their own account based on their own actual cruse points.  They then lose their parents status and gain own and build from there.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

1 hour ago, saridien said:

I understand the points don't match the status, but my account says Diamond and I have been Diamond for 10 years at this point without the points to back it up. 

My impression of the policy and what they told me on the phone is that my husband can get my status as well, but we are having issues with that. 

Obviously this is a very niche problem to have, I'll just have to call them again and figure out what we should do. 

Really weird comments here but you are correct.

At 18 you inherit parents status at the time and your points are whatever you have earned at that time.  You can NEVER be downgraded to a lower status.  Points only count in your case toward making D+. (OK, exception for Pinnacle).

When you married, husband should get linked and hold the same level as you, diamond.  He really has 10 points but they might show your points for him since he will advance to D+ when you do, not when he would on his own.  If you divorced now he should be Diamond with 10 points.  If he never sails but you get to D+ he will be D+ and if you divorced then because he wouldn't sail with you he would be D+ with 10 points.

Contact C&A and have them correctly link his level to yours, Diamond.  Don't worry about the points.  Better to do this before the cruise so you do get the drinks and an extra free picture.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I understand that.  What I don't understand or agree with  is the comment that at 18 when converting to their own account they retain whatever status they had based on their parents forever - and they would then attain the next tier(s) on their own points.  My understanding is that their own tier level is determined at 18 when converting to their own account based on their own actual cruse points.  They then lose their parents status and retain gain own and build from there.

I can't find anything that clearly answers that. All I know is that my best recollection of past threads where the question of kids' status' after they turn 18 has been asked, I don't think anyone has ever countered the answer that they retain their parent's status until they've earned enough on their own to reach the next tier. I don't know if it's just anecdotal evidence or not, but that seems to have been the generally accepted answer.

3 minutes ago, LeeW said:

When you married, husband should get linked and hold the same level as you, diamond.  He really has 10 points but they might show your points for him since he will advance to D+ when you do, not when he would on his own.  If you divorced now he should be Diamond with 10 points.  If he never sails but you get to D+ he will be D+ and if you divorced then because he wouldn't sail with you he would be D+ with 10 points.

Are you sure about this? This does not make sense to me. This would mean that C&A status is infinitely transferable. And it's not just spouse, it's significant other in the same household. According to you, a D+ could have never ending short term relationships where they move in and are "Significant Others", creating new D+ every time. For the sake of argument, let's say they always cruise with each new partner. Then the same could go for each of them. They could also cohabitate and be significant others and go on a cruise and pass their D+ status on to them. Not to mention any kids (under 18) that all these new SO's might have brought with them into the relationship. In no short order, you could have hundreds of D+'s who have very few (sometimes just 1) cruise.

It makes far more sense if it is only transferrable once, and in the case of an SO, that they loose it if the relationship is terminated (in the RCL system). The T&C I posted above state "Pinnacle Club member tier status can only be earned by an individual, spouse or significant other by one of them accumulating 700 Cruise Points or more in the CAS program". According to this, given a Pinnacle member with a new SO, the SO will also earn Pinnacle status, even if it's their first cruise. But then according you, if they divorce/separate (or the Pinnacle dies), the SO remains a Pinnacle, even if they enter into a new relationship? (which they could pass on to their next SO?) That does not sound like what RCI is going for here.

This also doesn't actually answer the OP's question. The issue is that the OP has not actually earned D, they've only earned Emerald. She is D because her parents were D when she turned 18, and retained their earned status. Now she is trying to get he husband matched to D, but they only matched him to her earned status, not her published status. While the limited documentation says that "A Crown & Anchor Society member can be added into a relationship with other family members in the same household and receive equivalent tier status", the OP's original post on what they received would indicate that they can only share their earned status, not any equivalent tier status. So it's not as straight forward as saying "When you married, husband should get linked and hold the same level as you, diamond."

32 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

I can't find anything that clearly answers that. All I know is that my best recollection of past threads where the question of kids' status' after they turn 18 has been asked, I don't think anyone has ever countered the answer that they retain their parent's status until they've earned enough on their own to reach the next tier. I don't know if it's just anecdotal evidence or not, but that seems to have been the generally accepted answer.

All I know - and to the other recent responses - is that when our children turned 18 their listed tier status was determined by the actual cruise points they had accrued over their cruising career.  Up until that point they shared our Diamond status.  They did not continue to share our D / D+ status once on their own account.

Here's how it took place.  We were Diamond when our oldest turned 18.  At that time he shared our Diamond status as indicated.  But he had not gone on as many cruises when his account transitioned, and he was then listed as Emerald based on his actual cruise points (less than 80).  Our next one turned 18 also when we were still Diamond, but he had more total cruise points than his older brother (more than 80) and he was listed as Diamond on his account.  My daughter was the last to turn 18 and when she did we were now Diamond Plus.  But based on her total points (more than 80, but less than D+), she was listed as Diamond as well.

They do not continue today to share our status, nor have they since they each turned 18. This is how their tier status has always been listed by C&A since then on subsequent cruises and any growth to the next tier level will be by continuing to accrue their own cruise points - so told to us by C&A with my oldest son's account establishment. 

So if this - and C&A - is incorrect, then they have consistently made the same mistake with all three of our children over an 8-year period.

I don't know what else I can say.  But I believe if a mistake was made by C&A, it was by listing the OP as Diamond with 76 points, not by incorrectly listing my three children's tiers and not providing our D or D+ status to them forever.

But either way, enjoy your cruises.

Throw in status matching from other lines and it gets really fun! 😀

Me, my husband and my minor son all show the same status and points. My daughter, who is 18, shows our status and her own earned points (which is 8 points fewer than mine since she didn't technically come along on my honeymoon -- well, she did, but she wasn't a paying passenger).

I got my Diamond status from earning Elite on Celebrity, which in turn went to my children. If I were to earn Diamond Plus in the next two years before my son turns 18, he would get the higher status but not my daughter.

Now on Celebrity, it's different. Kids do NOT get parent's status because you cannot join Captains Club until 18. They only get their status based on their own points (or our's if they're cruising in the same cabin). But there's a good example of individual vs relationship points on their FAQ that applies on RCCL as well. (https://www.celebritycruises.com/captains-club/enroll)

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 4.43.11 PM.png

2 hours ago, saridien said:

My parents were diamond when I turned 18 so I inherited their status, I didn't receive diamond by mistake. That's how the system is supposed to work. 

Yes, you earned the status of diamond but how many points did you earn personally? For example if your parents did 5 cruises and you went only on 3 with them. The three cruise points you earned would go towards your husband status , but you got credit for the 5 because you were under your parents.  The points you earned, not under your parents is what your husband gets,  you are asking “I received my diamond status from my parents, now I want my husband to be diamond from my parents by way of you”. Because technically you did not earn diamond status only emerald, so your husband would be based on the amount of points you earned which is emerald.  Unfortunately he will have to pay for drinks, the end goal.  

3 hours ago, RobInMN said:

According to every other thread I've ever read on this, you are incorrect on this.

When you turn 18 , while your actual points revert to whatever you have actually earned on your own, you are not "demoted". You status remains at whatever status you had under your parents, until such time as you have accumulated enough points on your own to reach the next status tier. The only exception to this would be Pinnacle, as you can never inherit Pinnacle, that must be earned on your own.

Wait, what? I turn Pinnacle in June, and my husband of 26 years will not inherit it as well? He gets far less PTO than I do, so I cruise solo a lot. His points and his status are the same as mine currently. I have been cruising with RCI since 2006. 

9 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

Wait, what? I turn Pinnacle in June, and my husband of 26 years will not inherit it as well? He gets far less PTO than I do, so I cruise solo a lot. His points and his status are the same as mine currently. I have been cruising with RCI since 2006. 

At least as long as you are together, he will enjoy Pinnacle status along with you.

The big unknown that I've never seen anyone ask or answer, is what would happen to his status if you divorce or you should pass away.

See my post #52, for the only thing I've found published by RCI. The Celebrity policy as posted by @cyntil8ing , assuming RCI is he same, would point to him reverting to his earned status.

@saridien, I also believe the confusion is between points and status, and I think it goes more deeply than just C&A status on the website. Allow me to explain as best as I understand it with the caution that I could be very wrong. 

When you link accounts with your spouse, the spouse with the fewer points is credited with "relationship points" to make up the difference in points. That is why your husband now has the same 76 points you do even though he only had 10 by virtue of the cruises he's actually been on. 

It could be that, if you were to cruise together in the same stateroom, he would have Diamond status for the cruise. In other words, it might very well say "Diamond" on his card even if says "Gold" on the website or app.

That might be part of the confusion when you're speaking to different folks about all this. He won't be Diamond on the website until one of you actually gets to 80 points, but both of you may very well be Diamond if cruising together.  I want to say that's how it worked with DW and I for a little while because she has more points (credits, at the time) than I do, so we were at different levels for a little while.  

This is an unusual question, and I'm not surprised that it's been difficult to get a proper answer from anyone. It's been an interesting one to think through If for no other reason that our now adult children also got the benefit of the status we had at each one's eighteenth birthday even though the points they have do not warrant it. 

In any case, enjoy what legacy benefits you get, have a good time, and let the Sun shine upon your face. 

Edited by DCPIV

9 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

He won't be Diamond on the website until one of you actually gets to 175 points, but both of you may very well be Diamond if cruising together. 

Not picking, but I think you mean 80 points, as that is the threshold for the Diamond tier.  175 points is the Diamond Plus threshold.

4 hours ago, RobInMN said:

According to every other thread I've ever read on this, you are incorrect on this.

When you turn 18 , while your actual points revert to whatever you have actually earned on your own, you are not "demoted". You status remains at whatever status you had under your parents, until such time as you have accumulated enough points on your own to reach the next status tier. The only exception to this would be Pinnacle, as you can never inherit Pinnacle, that must be earned on your own.

I completely agree.  There are many threads on here stating that at turning 18 kids keep their parents status,

but revert to their own points for the next upgrade in status.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

No that is not how it works - you do not keep you parents status for life.  At age 18 your tier status becomes your own based on your actual cruise point.  But believe what you want.

My own family example:

We have three children who grew up cruising with us on RCCL  When we became Diamond, they were all still under 18. However, we also cruised a number of times without them and one of our children did not cruise as often as his siblings.  So while we all shared the same status based on my wife and my points,  our point totals on an individual basis were different from each other.

As they turned 18, their actual cruise point totals determined their now adult cruise tier status.  Based on our cruising history as they each turned 18, my wife and I are Diamond+, two of my children are Diamond, but at different point totals, and my one son is Emerald.

If it worked the way you suggest and our status would remain theirs for life, then they would all be Diamond+ with us.

That is how it works when it works correctly.  But mistakes can be made as humans are responsible for data entry.  But they can also be corrected.....

Not going to read her rest of the thread but.

At 18 years old the child reverts to their own points and keeps the adults status for life or until they reach the next level on their own points.

Yes a 25 year old can be Diamond with 10 points and they will remain at Diamond until they accumulate a total of 175 points to get to the next level. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Pinnacle can only be shared by spouses and significant others.  Children cannot share Pinnacle status 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Not picking, but I think you mean 80 points, as that is the threshold for the Diamond tier.  175 points is the Diamond Plus threshold.

Thank you, and you are correct. I went back and edited right about the same time that you replied and corrected me, so I just saw this. 

Cheers! 

2 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Yes. Not cruising only gets you so much. 

While we're not really on the subject, I've been cruising regularly with RCI since 1995.

Cheers. 

27 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Not going to read her rest of the thread but.

At 18 years old the child reverts to their own points and keeps the adults status for life or until they reach the next level on their own points.

Yes a 25 year old can be Diamond with 10 points and they will remain at Diamond until they accumulate a total of 175 points to get to the next level. 

Then I guess C&A made mistakes with my children's accounts because we were D+ when our last turned 18 and she is D, and my oldest is Emerald and we were D when he turned 18.  Guess they also don't understand their program as when I asked about my oldest at the time he turned 18, that was the info they gave me in explaining why he was only Emerald.  So based on them having our status for life they should all be D+.  Although that all took place a number of years ago, I guess I need to give them a call.......

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Then I guess C&A made mistakes with my children's accounts because we were D+ when our last turned 18 and she is D, and my oldest is Emerald. 

Far too many posts over the years of personal experiences that contradict yours and support what I posted.  I think you got screwed.

The other thing that I did not add was that I believe that the child has to sail with the parent at a level for them to keep that level.  So if you were Diamond when the child turned 18 but the child last sailed as Emerald they would only retain Emerald status.  

8 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Far too many posts over the years of personal experiences that contradict yours and support what I posted.  I think you got screwed.

The other thing that I did not add was that I believe that the child has to sail with the parent at a level for them to keep that level.  So if you were Diamond when the child turned 18 but the child last sailed as Emerald they would only retain Emerald status.  

Well, Ken, if status for life is correct, then perhaps you are sort of correct - they got screwed.

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Another recent thread on CC suggests otherwise.  I have no firsthand experience on this, but saw on that thread CC members saying that minors keep the status of their parents. Period.  So even if just one cruise when all were gold, while still a minor the kid’s status goes up when the parents goes up (regardless of if they cruise with them again).  I too think this makes little sense, but the status for life doesn’t make sense to me either.  

2 hours ago, RobInMN said:

At least as long as you are together, he will enjoy Pinnacle status along with you.

The big unknown that I've never seen anyone ask or answer, is what would happen to his status if you divorce or you should pass away.

See my post #52, for the only thing I've found published by RCI. The Celebrity policy as posted by @cyntil8ing , assuming RCI is he same, would point to him reverting to his earned status.

If I die, I don't care what status he is. 🤣

39 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Pinnacle can only be shared by spouses and significant others.  Children cannot share Pinnacle status 

Ok, I saw Pinnacle was not inherited and assumed that meant spouse as well. As long as he is, while I am.. all good. 

36 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Yes. Not cruising only gets you so much. 

While we're not really on the subject, I've been cruising regularly with RCI since 1995.

Cheers. 

Thankfully, he will get my status. I cruised in 1991 & 1992, but my love for it really did not start until 1999 when I started working for CCL in the reservation center in Colorado Springs.

Actually, our first cruise with RCI was in Dec of 2006 on the Splendour of the Seas, and I did not like it at all. Thankfully, I had booked that as a filler cruise until our trip to Hawaii on Serenade in Oct 2007, and still left that booked. Luckily that was night and day, and I ended up liking Royal quite a bit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1