Seven Mile Beach Info

Whitnee1

On 3/23/2022 at 1:38 PM, Whitnee1 said:

Looking for a beach club that offers chairs and umbrellas and food and drink on Seven Mile Beach? TIA

It's been pretty quiet in here with GC being closed for the past two years.  Ships just started returning this week with the Disney Magic yesterday (I think) and Carnival Glory pulling away as I type this.  So hopefully folks will start to report back soon how it's going and giving feedback on things to do there and who they used.  

Edited by MickCruiser
  • Like 1

I believe your only option for an actual beach club is Coral Beach, unless some new place opens between now and your cruise date.  Royal Palms, Tiki Beach and Calico Jacks have all closed permanently.

https://coralbeach.ky

Some of the hotels might now offer day passes, since overall tourist occupancy is low.  You could try your favourite chain and see what they say.

There is also Public Beach (and a number of other less developed entry points) if you are willing to DIY, BYO and throw a towel on the sand.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another question about 7 Mile Beach.  I just hope our itinerary does not change and we are allowed in to port. We will be there May 8 on Celebrity Equinox. Probably at least 1800 pax I hear.

We are taking one of the ship excursions and the description says that a drop off at 7 mile beach can be done.  Question is: How far from port is it? We are older and walking is a bit slow for us.  Would that be worthwhile?

Thanks!

We will be there with the Liberty of the Seas sailing from Galveston June 26 2022. I'm looking for the same info so I'll keep an eye on this thread. I'm not sure why there isn't more info on beaches. We don't want to see sting rays, we don't want to play with turtles, we don't want to stroll around town spending money on junk we will never use. All we want to do is lay out on a beach and have access to dinks, food, and restrooms.

• Like 6

Same as above here, but sailing in May on the MSC Seashore. I reached out to about 7-8 hotels this week inquiring about day pass use. All kindly replied, but the answer was no, but you are welcome to pay for a full hotel room or eat at their onsite restaurant. The video for Coral Beach on FB does not look very promising (I believe sand erosion; minimal beach), and I have read about poor food and service. I am hoping more cruisers begin to post soon in case they have found any other options. Sadly, we might stay onboard as we are not interested in any of the excursions being offered. Good luck!!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, drdaddy said:

Another question about 7 Mile Beach.  I just hope our itinerary does not change and we are allowed in to port. We will be there May 8 on Celebrity Equinox. Probably at least 1800 pax I hear.

We are taking one of the ship excursions and the description says that a drop off at 7 mile beach can be done.  Question is: How far from port is it? We are older and walking is a bit slow for us.  Would that be worthwhile?

Thanks!

I wouldn’t try to walk it, then, but there are taxis and buses that run along that road that could take you back to the port.  They’re likely to drop you off either at Coral Beach (closer to port) or Public Beach.  It really depends how much time you have after the excursion and whether you are interested in some beach time.

7 hours ago, dsbroussard said:

We will be there with the Liberty of the Seas sailing from Galveston June 26 2022. I'm looking for the same info so I'll keep an eye on this thread. I'm not sure why there isn't more info on beaches. We don't want to see sting rays, we don't want to play with turtles, we don't want to stroll around town spending money on junk we will never use. All we want to do is lay out on a beach and have access to dinks, food, and restrooms.

2 hours ago, jethapgun said:

Same as above here, but sailing in May on the MSC Seashore. I reached out to about 7-8 hotels this week inquiring about day pass use. All kindly replied, but the answer was no, but you are welcome to pay for a full hotel room or eat at their onsite restaurant. The video for Coral Beach on FB does not look very promising (I believe sand erosion; minimal beach), and I have read about poor food and service. I am hoping more cruisers begin to post soon in case they have found any other options. Sadly, we might stay onboard as we are not interested in any of the excursions being offered. Good luck!!

The issue is that at this point, it’s a Catch 22 situation.  Until enough tourists have returned to make it economically feasible, there aren’t any beach clubs catering to tourists, which deters some tourists from coming.  Coral Beach is all that’s left.  

However, there are lots of great beach spots if you are willing to DIY a little more.  Public Beach is great, and has restrooms, so if you bring some towels and stop at one of the grocery or liquor stores on the way, you can still have a great beach day.  And, depending on when you cruise, by that point some food and chair vendors may be back in business there.

If you absolutely need a hotel experience, Holiday Inn offers day passes via Resort for a Day.  It’s not on SMB, but they have a pool and a sandy “lounging” beach, just no ocean swimming since it’s on North Sound instead of SMB.

https://www.resortforaday.com/holiday-inn-resort/

Good Afternoon from Celebrity Equinox! 

We just left Grand Cayman. I also only ever want a taxi to the beach, a chair to rent and a taxi back. The "tourist guides" as you get off the ship gave all different information. Today is Easter Sunday so I couldn't get a straight answer if the beaches would be renting chairs. 

I got into a taxi heading towards 7 mile. The driver wasn't sure either if they would have chair rentals due to the holiday but said he would take me back to Coral Beach if Public was not renting chairs. Since I didn't want to spend my day in a taxi, I just jumped off with the others at Coral. BIG MISTAKE!!!! 

It is like being in someone's backyard. The lounging area is separated from the water because of a cement wall, has police like barricades that I assume are playing the role of a railing and you need to take stairs to get to the water from your lounge chair. I paid $5 admission and $10 for a chair. The kind waitress saw the look on my face and recommended the beach just next door. That was exactly what I was looking for. Problem was that I already paid and the lady in charge said there are no refunds (there was a sign reading No Refunds upon entering). BUT I met a couple on the "real beach" who was able to get their money back. I went back to Coral and said the resort was deceptive and I am on vacation. She finally gave in and was refunding all my money.  I told her I'd still pay the admission (she let me know it included bathrooms, wifi and something else, I forget). I took the $10 next door to rent a chair at a real beach!

It was through Salt Water Sports.  They were very friendly and I had a great day. They do have wifi (formally Royal Palms) but no restaurant. I didn't want, need or use any of Coral's facility.

My advice would be that if you don't mind walking (the walk can be on beach with splashes by the water) to pay the $5 admission to Coral so you could still get food, but pay for the chair at Salt. Best of both worlds,  again if you don't mind walking. 

Sorry for the novel, I just wanted to share my day since I, too, could not find recent information on the GC beaches.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

On 4/16/2022 at 8:31 AM, bookbabe said:

The issue is that at this point, it’s a Catch 22 situation.  Until enough tourists have returned to make it economically feasible, there aren’t any beach clubs catering to tourists, which deters some tourists from coming.  Coral Beach is all that’s left.  

However, there are lots of great beach spots if you are willing to DIY a little more.  Public Beach is great, and has restrooms, so if you bring some towels and stop at one of the grocery or liquor stores on the way, you can still have a great beach day.  And, depending on when you cruise, by that point some food and chair vendors may be back in business there.

If you absolutely need a hotel experience, Holiday Inn offers day passes via Resort for a Day.  It’s not on SMB, but they have a pool and a sandy “lounging” beach, just no ocean swimming since it’s on North Sound instead of SMB.

https://www.resortforaday.com/holiday-inn-resort/

Hello bookbabe,

I am looking into going to  a beach - when you say Public beach ... is there a particular one that stands out,  when I googled Public Beach, Grand Cayman - it comes up with more than 1 .. 

Sorry last minute Itinerary changes ... thrown me for a loop 

thanks for any and all help 

Kathy 

Explorer of Seas April 30, 2022

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kathyr said:

Hello bookbabe,

I am looking into going to  a beach - when you say Public beach ... is there a particular one that stands out,  when I googled Public Beach, Grand Cayman - it comes up with more than 1 .. 

Sorry last minute Itinerary changes ... thrown me for a loop 

thanks for any and all help 

Kathy 

Explorer of Seas April 30, 2022

Public Beach is the actual name of the beach.  It’s at the far end of Seven Mile Beach, near the Kimpton Seafire hotel, and beside where Calico Jacks used to be.

https://goo.gl/maps/7PyYHu2owszwU9Xk8

editing to add that, yeah, lots of public beaches will show up, but this one is the only one that’s just named Public Beach with no additional description 

https://www.explorecayman.com/things-to-do/beaches

Edited by bookbabe
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think  GC just opened back up its cruise port to passengers in March 2022.  I am hoping more recent information get posted after more opens up.  We go in June and Calico Jacks was our go to!  

Thanks above for the advice to go next door to CG.  another suggestion was Cemetery Beach.  will check it out.

16 hours ago, Travel Mom said:

I think  GC just opened back up its cruise port to passengers in March 2022.  I am hoping more recent information get posted after more opens up.  We go in June and Calico Jacks was our go to!  

Thanks above for the advice to go next door to CG.  another suggestion was Cemetery Beach.  will check it out.

At this point, it's looking like what's open now will be what's open for you in June, at least if you mean this June.  Next June more should be open.  Summer is the slower season, so most of the reopenings I've heard of, like Rum Point, are slated for the early winter at the soonest.

You should make your plans based on the info in this and the other recent threads here.  Calico Jacks will definitely not reopen, so you'll need a new go-to place.  Cemetery Beach is nice, but there's no facilities.

I am on island right now and can confirm that Coral Beach is pretty much your only option for an all-in-one place.  As others have said, there aren't really enough cruise visitors yet to make another beach club an economic reality, but everyone hopes that changes.

But Public Beach may work with a little more effort.  Either stop at Kirk's Supermarket on your way from the port to the beach and pick up drinks and sandwiches or whatever takes your fancy, then head up to Public Beach where there are chair rentals available.  That at least gives you some options.  The beach there is good, and there are public washrooms.  Sometimes there is a food truck or two there as well.

If you want a bar, you can walk north up the beach a short way to the Kimpton beach bar, called "Coccoloba" - https://www.seafireresortandspa.com/grand-cayman-restaurants/coccoloba/ that has good food and drinks and is right on the beach.

It's far from ideal, but there again, a lot of islands fared even worse than Grand Cayman and it takes a while to recover.

On 5/19/2022 at 10:02 AM, TravellingBritNY said:

I am on island right now and can confirm that Coral Beach is pretty much your only option for an all-in-one place.  As others have said, there aren't really enough cruise visitors yet to make another beach club an economic reality, but everyone hopes that changes.

But Public Beach may work with a little more effort.  Either stop at Kirk's Supermarket on your way from the port to the beach and pick up drinks and sandwiches or whatever takes your fancy, then head up to Public Beach where there are chair rentals available.  That at least gives you some options.  The beach there is good, and there are public washrooms.  Sometimes there is a food truck or two there as well.

If you want a bar, you can walk north up the beach a short way to the Kimpton beach bar, called "Coccoloba" - https://www.seafireresortandspa.com/grand-cayman-restaurants/coccoloba/ that has good food and drinks and is right on the beach.

It's far from ideal, but there again, a lot of islands fared even worse than Grand Cayman and it takes a while to recover.

Thank you soooo much!  We just booked an excursion and the guys will follow your advice.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 8:23 AM, MANDMTRAVEL said:

Hi can you pass your excursion contact?  thanks in advance.

I booked through expedia and got a good rate.  just find the drop down "things to do".  We got the stingray, snorkle (great spot), starfish for $67 each.  Just need to get an early tender out, which we did, but ended up waiting for 30 min for more people.  We had ample time at each spot.  I could have stayed in that water all day.  

• Like 1

On 4/16/2022 at 12:24 AM, dsbroussard said:

Ha I could have posted this verbatim! I’m so disappointed my fav beach club is permanently closed.