Am I understanding this correctly......exemption for kids?

clginal

I was looking at taking the family on a cruise spring 2023.  2 of the kids (ages 5 & 9) are not vaccinated.  Granted, I know things can change before then but....

Reading the Carnival site "your reservation is not considered confirmed unless you receive an approved exemption, which will be issued within 14 days of sailing."

So....we won't know until sometime within 2 weeks before the cruise?  Just making sure I'm not misunderstanding.

TIA

not a big deal....we don't have to go on a cruise.  We'll find somewhere else to go.

It's 9 of us...the 2 not vaccinated are my grandkids.  

Just making sure I was reading it right.......won't book, for sure.  There is no way I would book not knowing until then.

thanks for the quick responses..........will check other cruise lines or just find somewhere else.

47 minutes ago, clginal said:

not a big deal....we don't have to go on a cruise.  We'll find somewhere else to go.

Just making sure I was reading it right.......won't book, for sure.  There is no way I would book not knowing until then.

thanks for the quick responses..........will check other cruise lines or just find somewhere else.

You can fly to most of the countries the cruise lines go to and not worry about pre-testing or vaccines. A lot of good AI options exist too. Hope you and your family find a suitable vacation and have a great time.  

1 hour ago, clginal said:

Yep! And there's currently a very recent thread on here where a person is doing exactly that, still waiting. And a few comments on there about how rare the exemptions are these days. And I agree with you, I would never book something with that kind of unknown. We were in that boat until 2 months ago. One person in our group wasn't vaxed. They did end up getting it, like 3 days before we had our last chance to get a full refund since the requirement wasn't in place when we booked it last year.

13 minutes ago, kctwinmommy said:

Yep! And there's currently a very recent thread on here where a person is doing exactly that, still waiting. And a few comments on there about how rare the exemptions are these days. And I agree with you, I would never book something with that kind of unknown. We were in that boat until 2 months ago. One person in our group wasn't vaxed. They did end up getting it, like 3 days before we had our last chance to get a full refund since the requirement wasn't in place when we booked it last year.

I saw that thread after I posted.  I feel for them....but, I could not book knowing we may not know.  I stress about too much, that would put me over the edge...LOL.

34 minutes ago, cruisingguy007 said:

You can fly to most of the countries the cruise lines go to and not worry about pre-testing or vaccines. A lot of good AI options exist too. Hope you and your family find a suitable vacation and have a great time.  

Thanks!!  We'll find somewhere to go.  Cruising was going to be the cheapest for that many so, I had just started researching.  I think some other lines are allowing so, I might have to try them.  

• Like 1

Honestly, over a year away.  You have time to wait.  I think things will settle down later this year. If it is 2023, too early for flights, prices will fluctuate and cruiselines will have sales.  You might want to look at Royal? I think the kid exemptions are easier? I actually do not think they have them for 12 and under? But they will be required to mask?

Edited by Thenagers

15 hours ago, clginal said:

I saw that thread after I posted.  I feel for them....but, I could not book knowing we may not know.  I stress about too much, that would put me over the edge...LOL.

You and me both! As I said, when we booked ours a year ago, the requirement wasn't in place. However, as it got closer and we realized it would be almost impossible for the 1 adult in our group to get an exemption, that person had to make the decision. They did decide to get the vax, so we are able to go. But we had to make that decision by the February 15th (or whatever that date was), so the person did. Otherwise we would have cancelled for the full refund.

• Like 1

I didn't notice that the OP said they were looking for next year, not last minute this year. I would hope by this time next year things will be different. Also, the 9 year old is currently eligible for vaccination, and I assume the 5 year old will be able to be vaccinated by this time next year.

On 3/24/2022 at 8:20 PM, Thenagers said:

Honestly, over a year away.  You have time to wait.  I think things will settle down later this year. If it is 2023, too early for flights, prices will fluctuate and cruiselines will have sales.  You might want to look at Royal? I think the kid exemptions are easier? I actually do not think they have them for 12 and under? But they will be required to mask?

I'm looking at Royal, for now.  And yes, lots can change before then.  But, trying to get 3 balconies together, felt I needed to book sooner than later.  I'm not jumping just yet.

Basically, I understand why they have the rules in place....I was just surprised about the waiting until 2 weeks before the cruise to know.  

It's my grandkids so, not my choice on vaccination.  They may or may not get them but, I have to plan with no vaccination for now.  

Thanks everyone!!