Does Silver Dawn depart from Venice?

Colgal

I had heard that Venice was no longer allowing cruiselines to dock /disembark- the port was changed to other nearby cities. The Silver Dawn has Venice listed as its

departure port- can anyone clarify?

Also, the 14 night itinerary from Venice to Rome does not indicate which ports are serviced via tender vs being docked. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

@Colgal I suggest checking directly with Silversea, and not relying on comments here. Some Venice cruises are departing from Marghera, the industrial port on the mainland across from the islands of Venice; people drop luggage  and check in at the Venice cruise terminal and are then bussed to their ship (and visa versa on return). But some have been moved to other cities. It just came out this week that some of Seabourn's Venice cruises this upcoming season have been moved to Ravenna, a 2+ hour bus ride away, even though they had originally shown up on the Marghera port schedule.  All the cruise lines are competing for limited docking berths at Marghera as the Italian authorities work to build out more cruise ship capacity there — so what anyone thought they knew weeks or months ago may or may not be accurate now. 

• 2 weeks later...

We are boarding Spirit in Venice in June. Received the letter from Silversea yesterday regarding location of check in following the changes on-going in Venice. The letter reproduced below may be of help. 

Dear Esteemed Guest,

We hope this letter finds you well. We are writing today with an important update to your 7-day Mediterranean voyage departing from Venice on June 17th 2022 aboard Silver Spirit. 

Although the ship will be docked at the Fusina pier, guests must first arrive to the Venice Cruise Terminal* in order to drop off their luggage, undergo a rapid antigen test, and check-in for their voyage.
They will then be transferred via motor coach to the Fusina pier (25 min drive) in order to board the ship.
*Guests arriving via water taxi will need to dock at Marittima pier, where a complimentary shuttle will drive them to the entrance of the Venice Cruise Terminal.

Thank you for your kind attention. We look forward to welcoming you aboard for a voyage full of the enriching experiences and authentic discovery unique to Silversea.
Best personal regards,

Barbara Muckermann
Chief Commercial Officer

1 hour ago, NeilP57 said:

We are boarding Spirit in Venice in June. Received the letter from Silversea yesterday regarding location of check in following the changes on-going in Venice. The letter reproduced below may be of help. 

Dear Esteemed Guest,

We hope this letter finds you well. We are writing today with an important update to your 7-day Mediterranean voyage departing from Venice on June 17th 2022 aboard Silver Spirit. 

Although the ship will be docked at the Fusina pier, guests must first arrive to the Venice Cruise Terminal* in order to drop off their luggage, undergo a rapid antigen test, and check-in for their voyage.
They will then be transferred via motor coach to the Fusina pier (25 min drive) in order to board the ship.
*Guests arriving via water taxi will need to dock at Marittima pier, where a complimentary shuttle will drive them to the entrance of the Venice Cruise Terminal.

Thank you for your kind attention. We look forward to welcoming you aboard for a voyage full of the enriching experiences and authentic discovery unique to Silversea.
Best personal regards,

Barbara Muckermann
Chief Commercial Officer

We received the same mail also, we board the Spirit the week after you for seven days, would really appreciated any news if you get chance thank you. Is it too early to say how many guests are on board yet?

Edited by fudge
spelling?

Will definitely try to help once we know what really happens at embarkation. 

We are staying in Venice for 3 nights prior to the cruise, so any testing requirements are very much of interest. The letter suggests that pier side testing will continue, but who knows if this is actually what will happen. 

There is no mention of embarkation times in the letter, MySilversea is still showing all times available from 2:00pm onwards, I have just been reading elsewhere on CC of the long lines of people waiting to board in Lisbon. 

it’s still a couple of months away so hopefully things will be clearer and better organised by the time we get to June. 

Thank you for your reply. 

There have been a lot of negative comments about SS on various threads recently, most it seems to be about management. Sounds like the staff are great as usual however, there is still evidence of the virus onboard certain ships.

Have a great time, we have already cancelled three cruises due to the pandemic but we are certainly going for this one, like you said things may have quietened down by the time we sail?

Edited by fudge

10 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

There is no mention of embarkation times in the letter, MySilversea is still showing all times available from 2:00pm onwards, I have just been reading elsewhere on CC of the long lines of people waiting to board in Lisbon. 

May I ask where you see embarkation times in MySilversea?  I am sailing on the Dawn from Venice in June but haven't seen anything about boarding times -- maybe I just don't know where to look.

13 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

May I ask where you see embarkation times in MySilversea?  I am sailing on the Dawn from Venice in June but haven't seen anything about boarding times -- maybe I just don't know where to look.

It is well hidden under Guest Information Form button, and then Guest Info tab  and then near the bottom of the Emergency Contacts tab and then near the bottom of that page just above where they ask for details of your insurance. 

Hope this helps. 

6 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

It is well hidden under Guest Information Form button, and then Guest Info tab  and then near the bottom of the Emergency Contacts tab and then near the bottom of that page just above where they ask for details of your insurance. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks... at least I wasn't missing something obvious!   I'll log in now to see what is there.