Low Sodium Diet

2inTul

Is it possible to get low sodium or unsalted food from room service?  Is there a way to request this on the Medallion App?  I have already submitted a special dietary request for a low sodium diet.  How does this work with Club Class dining?  Will I need to pre-order for the following day and what about specialty restaurants?  Thanks in advance for your help.  I did try to search for this....but you know how well the search function on CC works!

Edited by 2inTul

I am on a low salt diet when I cruise (use little to no salt when I cook at home).  I did request it on my personalizer and followed up with Assistant Manager in the dining room.  Here is my experience with Club Class and other venues.  My low salt request is self imposed not a health restriction.

Club Class:  I pre-ordered everything the night before (lunch/dinner).  Meals come with sauces on the side or just grilled.  For me, this is much tastier.  Same vegetables every meal:  lightly steamed broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots.  Only missed the salt in the soups/bland and escargot.  I understand they even have salt free butter...but did not inquire.  On the nights I skipped CC dining, I ordered from the regular menu the next night without salt considerations.  This manager was not as "strict" as others have been in the past (no cheese/no bacon etc).  

I ate breakfast in the suite Crown Grill.  I did not bother to mention this to them (not sure if it on my medallion).  I don't want to live without bacon.

I am doubtful that room service and IC can accommodate low salt diets.

My husband is on a low sodium diet and they were wonderful in the MDR with him. Every night the head waiter would bring him the menu for the following night and he would choose what he wanted from it.

12 hours ago, mjmalino said:

My husband is on a low sodium diet and they were wonderful in the MDR with him. Every night the head waiter would bring him the menu for the following night and he would choose what he wanted from it.

Thank you.  That is exactly what I've experienced on NCL. 

• 1 year later...

I too am on a sodium restricted diet for health reasons.  Recently I went on a NCL cruise and my requests could not have been taken care of any better.

I am now going on a Princess cruise and was concerned as on the personalizer they have nothing to be able to add the no sodium.  I contacted the cruise line direct, I THINK I got my point across on what I needed.  Not sure so I will follow up 1st thing on the Discovery with the Maitre D to assure I will be able to get my food with no added salt.

The article I read was done nicely but that was done in 2010.

Has anyone recently gone on a Princess Cruise, had this restriction?  If so could you please tell me how you  handled it?

Thanks so much.

On 4/5/2022 at 1:33 PM, 2inTul said:

Is it possible to get low sodium or unsalted food from room service?  Is there a way to request this on the Medallion App?  I have already submitted a special dietary request for a low sodium diet.  How does this work with Club Class dining?  Will I need to pre-order for the following day and what about specialty restaurants?  Thanks in advance for your help.  I did try to search for this....but you know how well the search function on CC works!

Hello,,  can you tell me how you submitted a special dietary request form?  Its not on the personalizer or Ocean Read app.  

I too need to adivse them of the sodium restriction I am on.

Any help from you will be appreciated..

3 minutes ago, djtx2 said:

Hello,,  can you tell me how you submitted a special dietary request form?  Its not on the personalizer or Ocean Read app.  

I too need to adivse them of the sodium restriction I am on.

Any help from you will be appreciated..

Try this link and scroll down to the bottom.  https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/onboard/dining-and-nightlife/  It will have a link in the FAQ to the correct place in cruise personalizer.  I don't currently have a cruise booked so I can't guide you further.

8 hours ago, djtx2 said:

I too am on a sodium restricted diet for health reasons.  Recently I went on a NCL cruise and my requests could not have been taken care of any better.

I am now going on a Princess cruise and was concerned as on the personalizer they have nothing to be able to add the no sodium.  I contacted the cruise line direct, I THINK I got my point across on what I needed.  Not sure so I will follow up 1st thing on the Discovery with the Maitre D to assure I will be able to get my food with no added salt.

The article I read was done nicely but that was done in 2010.

Has anyone recently gone on a Princess Cruise, had this restriction?  If so could you please tell me how you  handled it?

Thanks so much.

You just need to talk with the head waiter onboard - you don't need the maître d'. He will take your order each evening for the next day. You will need to place your order with a head waiter - not with a waiter. Although it is not required, I recommend going to the same MDR, so you can deal with the same head waiter. It doesn't matter if you have a different waiter, since the head waiter will handle your order. Just tell your waiter that you ordered the day before.

57 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

You just need to talk with the head waiter onboard - you don't need the maître d'. He will take your order each evening for the next day. 

As stated above, just speak with the Head Waiter.  They will take your order the night before.  You can also request the lunch menu for sea days in the dining room.  Some are more helpful than others, and give more guidance.

• Like 1

I do it every cruise. Assigned to a HW who takes a no pepper / low sodium pre-order dinner. Breakfast is easy. They also hand me the lunch menu in case I'm going to do more than a salad w/o dressing. I am used to omitting pepper but as I get older I've also had to restrict sodium. Miss salted caramel & pretzels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1