What I Did To Stay Safe On My Cruise.

mikewomb

20 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I've seen countless posts saying exactly this. I can only conclude that doing the "right things" might make one feel better but isn't really effective.

You will get no argument from me.
I do not believe in the Theater that we are supposed to endorse, but I also realize that there are many who do. 
I respect the opinions and fears of others, so I try to stay on the straight and narrow. 

1 hour ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Sounds pretty good, but do you have evidence of that? Many of us are trying to decide when to get that second booster, and there doesn't seem to be much empirical data to help us. I suppose there are not a lot of data on that yet.

We would all probably like to hear more about the treatment of COVID also. Sure would be nice to toss a few "COVID pills" in the shaving kit before setting off on an ocean journey!😎

Doug

Don't decide by what people say here. Check out the US CDC page on boosters and timing.  Or your doctor.

The available anti-viral drugs can also be found there but so far no reports of the cruise lines using them.  

We can not have a reasonable medical discussion here on CC due to their rules.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Let's face it, to an extent life is a crap shoot. There are things we can do to minimize our risk, but much if beyond our control.

Thanks for telling your experience. No, I don't blame you at all for feeling very disappointed. We are your age or a little older, have been married a few more years, and we're scheduled for a TA in October. I'd be very upset also.  I hope at least physically you are okay, understandably emotionally you are not.

Hope you get that negative test so you can enjoy at least some time on the ship with your spouse.😎

Doug

You will be fine. You will at least be ending in "home territory" I assume.
Our issue is that we used the Edge as a transportation means to get us to the Med for a fabulous 21 day cruise. 
Now we doubt that will happen and we also have no idea as to how we will get home 
My husband and I discussed this scenario this afternoon. We determined that at least returning to the USA, if you were quarantined at the end you would have the opportunity to get home.
We are both good swimmers, but at our age, the Atlantic Crossing has to happen via Cruiseship or Airplane.
Physically I am fine. 
Granted my duodenal ulcer has flared again and my hiatal hernia is sliding all over the place .I am getting 3 hours sleep a night, but at least being in a Sky suite I can run a warm bath and soak in it in the middle of the night. It is not like I will be disturbing anyone in my suite. 
I will not sugar coat it anymore. We wish that we had canceled. 

39 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I've seen countless posts saying exactly this. I can only conclude that doing the "right things" might make one feel better but isn't really effective.

Yep. It's all voodoo.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bananavan said:

So , to everyone right now waxing lyrical on how they stayed healthy, wax on, wax off, 
We did all the right things too. 

Doing the 'right things' will no doubt reduce one's risk, but certainly doesn't eliminate it.  It just takes one encounter with a micro Covid germ to ruin a vacation.  Still, it is better to at least try to reduce the risk than to run blindly towards it unprotected. 

I am sorry you have had to experience this and I hope your husband feels better soon and you stay negative.  I am disappointed that Celebrity continues to leave people in the dark as by now they should have some general protocols regarding disembarking, etc., that they should be able to share.  Their handling of this is a big black mark on the brand.  We all know the risks of catching this when we board. No one should be surprised if it happens to them.  But what we do not expect us the compleat lack of caring and empathy by Celebrity.

What I find interesting is the number of people who test positive on day 7/8, regardless of the length of the cruise.  This makes me think the majority are catching it at the start of the cruise possibly.  I hope people smarter than I are looking at this and trying to determine the common denominator so we can continue to try to take steps to reduce the risk.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Salt Lifer said:

What I find interesting is the number of people who test positive on day 7/8, regardless of the length of the cruise.  This makes me think the majority are catching it at the start of the cruise possibly.  I hope people smarter than I are looking at this and trying to determine the common denominator so we can continue to try to take steps to reduce the risk.  

I totally agree. And this should not be too hard for a qualified Public Health official to determine. 
Heck,  have not cruised since the Pandemic shut the world down on March 17, the day we returned from a 60 day South American voyage and I have my theories. 
The average cruise is a 7 day one. So the infected passengers are home by the time it hits 
Surely this cannot be THAT difficult to figure out. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bananavan said:

I totally agree. And this should not be too hard for a qualified Public Health official to determine. 
Heck,  have not cruised since the Pandemic shut the world down on March 17, the day we returned from a 60 day South American voyage and I have my theories. 
The average cruise is a 7 day one. So the infected passengers are home by the time it hits 
Surely this cannot be THAT difficult to figure out. 

I would be curious to hear your theories.  My own theory is that the germ is staying on surfaces or in ventilation systems longer than believed.  So new guests enter a ship on day one and for whatever reason those who may be more suspectable to catch it get it from contamination from the last round of passengers.  They spend a week leaving their mark on the ship and then disembark just in time for symptoms to start. Wash, rinse, repeat.  I have no medical basis for my theory - just a thought based on the stories of my fellow passengers.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, bananavan said:

We did all the right things

4 hours ago, RichYak said:

Exactly Rich.
There seems to be a difference between what has become customarily considered right versus what is actually necessitated to prevent transmission.  

At some point, the 'necessary' things were not done, and the recurring theme seems that it may well be impractical to do those things sufficiently so as to avoid covid. 

• Like 1

We did the right thing. I called Celebrity this morning…when I was told the Solstice for this Friday was book at 80%, I cancelled. I was assured  it would be 60% period. When I look on the report of ships with Covid, there is the Solstice..just crew, and showing covid cases. We will stay home 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikewomb said:

We did the right thing. I called Celebrity this morning…when I was told the Solstice for this Friday was book at 80%, I cancelled. I was assured  it would be 60% period. When I look on the report of ships with Covid, there is the Solstice..just crew, and showing covid cases. We will stay home 

Are you saying it looked like your cruise was at 80% capacity, but Celebrity told you it would only be at 60% Were they telling you they held 20% of rooms back to lower capacity?

38 minutes ago, dgoz said:

Are you saying it looked like your cruise was at 80% capacity, but Celebrity told you it would only be at 60% Were they telling you they held 20% of rooms back to lower capacity?

No I am saying when I booked the cruise the CP said it would only be 60% full, that changed to 80% and I confirmed it with the revenue department this morning. We had been concerned about cruising again, and decided for us this was not the right time. Again it didn’t “look like” it was, I was told the exact number of people 2200 and change. We are booked on the Beyond towards the end of the year and that money will just pay the balance off. It is about comfort level and risk…we have some issues that would put us at high risk, and are not taking any chances. As has been said before everyone has their risk and comfort level..being on a ship with 2200 people during a pandemic is not ours. We will spend a week in Hawaii.