What I Did To Stay Safe On My Cruise.

mikewomb

As soon as ships started sailing out of Germany in June 2020,  I sailed first with the then brand new Mein Schiff 2 and in October 2020 on board Mein Schiff 1.

In 2021 I did the Maiden Voyage on Apex and tried MSC  Yacht Club in October.

Followed by a Transatlantic on board QM2, five weeks ago- by far my favorite ship out there. All sailings went without a glitch- I did not catch Covid- even though QM2 had some cases on board- those passengers have been put in to Quarantine Cabins. My warn app was bright red, when I came home- but I did not catch the bugger!

On all mentioned voyages:

- Mask when indoors

- Social distancing

- Avoiding crowds

- Dinnertables for two or when sailing solo for one

- Show- well I did not go - I am not a big fan of them- so that was no problem. Only on board QM2 I went to lectures and two shows- always wearing my mask (FFP2) - as was the rule, not FFP2-  though- that was my desicion.

As fare as I could see everyone aheard to the mask rules.

The biggest adjustment for me has been the table for one on the TA on QM2- since I love a large dinner table to have conversations with people from all over the world.

Well- I found out i rather liked dining solo- where I go my e-book goes! LOL.

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 3

It would be interesting if there were a similar thread on those who had just spent 7-14 days on a bus or train tour, of who work in WalMart, a theater or grocery store. Wonder if the number of cases of COVID would be any different? Me thinks it would be worse. I'm convinced the those of us who use common sense, take a few extra precautions and try to be prepared are the ones who will fare just fine. Maybe those who take zero precautions will also be fine; but I know my odds of staying healthy aren't lowered by my  routine.

We returned from a seven day NCL cruise about 3 weeks ago (no incidents) and have three Celebrity cruises scheduled in the next year. Am I tempting the COVID Devils?🤔

Doug

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 9:22 PM, Poconolady said:

My best advise  is to be aware and use common sense. If someone is coughing, move away.

This is extremely sound advice - for vaccinated people symptoms usually develop before a high viral load does. If you see/hear someone with cold-like symptoms removing yourself from their vicinity is a smart move, alongside a quality mask.

We were on the SIlhoutte March 18.  No masks, took the elevator some, mostly went to the pool and only ate indoors at dinner.  We ate lunch at the pool or outside of the OVC.  Walked around the various islands and wore a mask when required.  The only "excursion" was a day at the beach where I rode in a small van with 6 others.

Most of the time we didn't really think about the possibility of getting sick.  The cruise was originally scheduled for February and we changed it because Covid was still more rampant and we didn't want to spend the cruise in isolation.

Came home after 11 days with no Covid. 

Being new to Cruise Critic and relatively new to cruising - will only be on my third this fall - I'm loving all the posts here and learning so much from all you veteran avid cruisers, not to mention all the humor along with it! I feel better about my cruise this fall, which is still some time away, but all the tips and advice here on COVID precautions and what you did to make the most enjoyable cruising experience possible despite COVID is helping me plan my future cruise, or cruises. Thanks to @mikewomb for starting this topic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been on three cruises in the past 6 months.

On all three, the ships were approximately 1/3 full:  

- didn't wear mask on two of the three cruises

- ate at 2-top on 2 cruises, and will our family of 6 on one cruise

- sat at the martini bar and chatted 

- sat at back of theater (distanced) a few times

- mostly used stairs (or waited for empty elevator - not hard since ship so empty)

- used hand sanitizer/washed hands/knuckle for pushing buttons/don't use handrails (all usual stuff when I am on a cruise).

No one caught Covid.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

just as a reminder of why we shouldn’t be discussing subjects such as various effectiveness of procedures, here are the CC rules:

Effective immediately, COVID-related discussion should be limited to actual policy on board ships (and other forms of travel) and its practical application.  Discussion should NOT veer into opinion or debate.

We will NOT welcome debate or opinion about medical, scientific, or political aspects of the pandemic. There are a few often repeated trigger items that won’t be allowed:

• No statistics about infection rates,
  • no discussions about where the virus may have started,
  • no dialogue about individual rights,
  • no commenting about after-effects of vaccinations,  
  • no debate about whether vaccinations or masking are effective,
  • no anti-vaxxer or pro-vaxxer comments of any kind,
  • no discussions about which governor or politician or news personality did or said what

den

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MagCynic said:

Are people STILL wearing masks everywhere despite being vaccinated? Is there a medical reason for this? 

Well, the virus can still be transmitted to another vaccinated person. We will be wearing our masks when we feel the need required. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

It would be interesting if there were a similar thread on those who had just spent 7-14 days on a bus or train tour, of who work in WalMart, a theater or grocery store. Wonder if the number of cases of COVID would be any different? Me thinks it would be worse. I'm convinced the those of us who use common sense, take a few extra precautions and try to be prepared are the ones who will fare just fine. Maybe those who take zero precautions will also be fine; but I know my odds of staying healthy aren't lowered by my  routine.

We returned from a seven day NCL cruise about 3 weeks ago (no incidents) and have three Celebrity cruises scheduled in the next year. Am I tempting the COVID Devils?🤔

Doug

Cruises are still the safest place on earth. 100% vaccinated and everyone tested before sailing. You're more likely to catch Covid from some completely unknown source at home than you are while on a cruise. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Laurab23 said:

Can we board with a spray bottle of hand sanitizer?

Laura

I don't know about a spray bottle, but I always have a small bottle of Purell in my pocket when we cruise. It's the "lotion" sort of media that you see in stores. Never any issues boarding. However, I cannot think of why a spray bottle would be prohibited.

Doug

10 hours ago, D C said:

Cruises are still the safest place on earth. 100% vaccinated and everyone tested before sailing. You're more likely to catch Covid from some completely unknown source at home than you are while on a cruise. 

It is very rare to see anybody with a mask these days where I live in PA.  Except hospitals and medical offices.  The risk  (and concern) about catching COVID is very low and our community transmission is low.  If I become unlucky at home and catch a mild case, no big deal. 

However catching COVID and testing positive on a ship is actually a big deal, even if very mild or asymptomatic.  It is not about the disease itself, but the onerous practices on board.  In August/Sept this year we are doing a 12 night Iceland cruise out of Southampton.  My absolute biggest concern is testing positive at the end of the cruise and not being able to board a flight back to the USA.  I have almost no concerns otherwise.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, TeeRick said:

It is very rare to see anybody with a mask these days where I live in PA.  Except hospitals and medical offices.  The risk  (and concern) about catching COVID is very low and our community transmission is low.  If I become unlucky at home and catch a mild case, no big deal. 

However catching COVID and testing positive on a ship is actually a big deal, even if very mild or asymptomatic.  It is not about the disease itself, but the onerous practices on board.  In August/Sept this year we are doing a 12 night Iceland cruise out of Southampton.  My absolute biggest concern is testing positive at the end of the cruise and not being able to board a flight back to the USA.  I have almost no concerns otherwise.

US requirement will be long gone by then. Guaranteed. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2022 at 6:45 AM, Wedgeh said:

This is extremely sound advice - for vaccinated people symptoms usually develop before a high viral load does. If you see/hear someone with cold-like symptoms removing yourself from their vicinity is a smart move, alongside a quality mask.

I agree.  Unfortunately not always possible and/or practical.  Just got off a cruise on Sunday.  On our second to last day, sat next to a table of four.  One of the women had watery eyes and a reddish nose.  I overheard her companion sitting next to her asking if she was feeling better.  Then a few minutes later the woman across from her (and therefore right across from me), also with watery eyes and a runny nose, kept blowing her nose and stated she thought she was coming down with a cold.  One of them even ran back to their cabin to get medication!!  I only hope they really had allergies or colds and not Covid!  (so far, so good for me and DH).  We were too far along in our meal to realistically move, although had it been at the beginning of the cruise I would have asked to be moved anyway to avoid being isolated in an outside cabin for 7+ days!  How incredibly rude and inconsiderate!  I did mention it to the maitre d and said that I felt awkward mentioning it but felt he would want his staff safe, and if he needed to admit them they should be seated away from others.  Saw them the next morning sitting in the center of the restaurant.  Ugh!  The next morning a woman a table away from me picked up her napkin and used it to blow her nose.  How crude and disgusting!  Then the waiters pick up said napkin, and then deliver your food and so it goes.  If anyone wonders how/why Covid still spreads on ships despite precautions these are two good examples.

• Like 3

On 4/23/2022 at 4:02 PM, mikewomb said:

We don’t have any big desire to get off the ship in Alaska either..just want to be fed, and relax. 

That's like going to Disney World and sitting in your car in the parking lot!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, LarryF said:

That's like going to Disney World and sitting in your car in the parking lot!

That's called camping out. One used to see this all the time around the country at many Walmarts. Pre-covid I recall one gentleman wrote in that he could have had a better time in his garage than he experienced on his cruise. It all depends on how many times one has experienced the same itinerary. We now go for the ship experience and hardly ever get off the ship, unless to stretch our 'sea legs'.