What I Did To Stay Safe On My Cruise.

mikewomb

I would really enjoy reading some positive posts how most of you went on a cruise, and DID NOT get covid. It is getting depressing.

We have not cruised since Jan 2020. We did go to Hawaii for a week in November. Had a great time, they had very strong requirements on covid, and felt safe, and enjoyed ourselves. 

Now we are going on the Solstice Seattle to Seattle, and would love to hear how other cruisers have managed their cruise experience, and stayed safe. We are vaxed and double boosted, plan to wear masks. Fortunately our move up offer for a Celebrity suite was accepted, so spending more time in a cabin will mean more space and great views. 

‘’feedback is appreciated. 

• Like 9

Disembarked Apex 3 weeks ago, no issues at all for the Wife and I.  No masks etc..glad a great cruise. 

3rd cruise since restart, going again in late May.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

We cruised on Silhouette Jan-Feb, 2022. The mask mandate was in effect and mostly adhered to. We did not go ashore and we either ate in Luminae or outdoors. We had room service a few times too. The lectures and shows were available on the television so we watched in our cabin. We were unmasked while eating, but otherwise tried to avoid people. A little strange, but better than no cruise! Wishing you smooth sailing!

• Like 6

@mikewomb I was on a B2B aboard the Summit.  Just debarked on Thursday.  For the first half of the cruise I wore my mask except when eating or drinking, or in my cabin.  I asked the staff in Blu to not sit anyone next to me, and always showed up around 6pm to avoid the dinner rush.  I avoided crowded bars, or would sit away from others, and skipped the silent disco etc.  Once I got my B2B covid test done, and results were negative, I was a bit more relaxed with my dining situation in Blu.  I did show up early, and for the most part, they didn't sit anyone next to me for most of the second cruise.  I still wore my mask all around the ship, except for up on deck outside where I could be away from people.    I don't know if all of that kept me from getting sick, or not.  I also was one of a few people that wore a mask while on planes.   The best thing to do is do whatever is your level of ease, and try to not worry about it. 

ETA:  I did not go ashore at all.  I just enjoyed the ship and the spa.   I'm on the Solstice in May, and will go ashore, but still avoid people where I can.  I have been to Alaska quite a few times, and have my favorite spots to go to.  No excursions planned right now, except for the Skagway train.  YMMV

Edited by dreams_of_travel
adding another comment
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Most important- a good quality mask worn correctly consistently.   Take off your mask indoors only to eat (extra protection wearing it between courses).  Ask to be seated away from people in restaurants,  if possible. Eat outside when possible.  Keep your distance everywhere,  move if people get too close.  No spa or gym, and absolutely no sauna or steam room. Avoid the hot tub if anyone else is in it. No group tours, no busses, keep mask on in cabs, windows open. Open your balcony door when you first check in for a few minutes.  Put on your mask anytime your stateroom attendant or room service person is in your cabin with you. I double mask sometimes,  but it is harder to breathe.  Good luck to you. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

We did a Nov ‘21 Thanksgiving cruise on Apex and loved it. We didn’t socialize nearly as much as we normally do. We only did one tour and that was with masks on the bus to the site. We went to a few theater shows, but not every. And dined at every MDR and the tables were separate enough for us to feel safe. when using the Oceanview Buffet, there was enough ‘space’ around and no lines, so felt safe especially with staff serving us. 

Did not wear masks except when in an elevator with others; on the bus.Kept one handy when felt a bit crowded, but the Apex just wasn’t. 

Always chance of being infected, especially with COVID being so very contagious, but just used common sense. But the risk is higher than at home. We drove so didn’t have flights to worry about. Will wear a mask on flights until I see legit medical info instead of a judge defining what some wording means instead of what is medically prudent. 

Yup. Risk, and a pain of not being home if get COVID, but decided to give it a go. Vaccinated and both boosters and common sense should help….some. taking the family on an Alaska cruise so will socialize only with them; going on a full Mississippi cruise that has a smaller passenger numbers and stays in the US; then in Oct doing a TA from Rome. So yup, increased risk, but…….I did spend a few years being shot off the pointy end and then trying not to bump into the blunt end of an aircraft carrier!  So I’ll use that as an excuse to cruise!!  

I’m a hugger and it’s been a tough two years!

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, dreams_of_travel said:

@mikewomb I was on a B2B aboard the Summit.  Just debarked on Thursday.  For the first half of the cruise I wore my mask except when eating or drinking, or in my cabin.  I asked the staff in Blu to not sit anyone next to me, and always showed up around 6pm to avoid the dinner rush.  I avoided crowded bars, or would sit away from others, and skipped the silent disco etc.  Once I got my B2B covid test done, and results were negative, I was a bit more relaxed with my dining situation in Blu.  I did show up early, and for the most part, they didn't sit anyone next to me for most of the second cruise.  I still wore my mask all around the ship, except for up on deck outside where I could be away from people.    I don't know if all of that kept me from getting sick, or not.  I also was one of a few people that wore a mask while on planes.   The best thing to do is do whatever is your level of ease, and try to not worry about it. 

ETA:  I did not go ashore at all.  I just enjoyed the ship and the spa.   I'm on the Solstice in May, and will go ashore, but still avoid people where I can.  I have been to Alaska quite a few times, and have my favorite spots to go to.  No excursions planned right now, except for the Skagway train.  YMMV

We don’t have any big desire to get off the ship in Alaska either..just want to be fed, and relax. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mikewomb said:

We don’t have any big desire to get off the ship in Alaska either..just want to be fed, and relax. 

Oh, that’s a tough one! I’d agree with many of the Caribbean ports of just enjoying the ship, but Alaska has some Very interesting ports of call and things to see. we did the virgin forest walk (no, my wife had kids but we both could still go on it!!), and the White Pass train, which is Very open air was fantastic. Did have to be on a bus, but could use masks.. Going whale watching also….on an Open Boat!

So think though the level of ‘risk’ you are willing to take. That is for each of us, and here I am suggesting increasing Your risk…….

den

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 10:36 AM, SusieV said:
On 4/21/2022 at 7:45 AM, Guppy99 said:

36 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

We did a Nov ‘21 Thanksgiving cruise on Apex and loved it. We didn’t socialize nearly as much as we normally do. We only did one tour and that was with masks on the bus to the site. We went to a few theater shows, but not every. And dined at every MDR and the tables were separate enough for us to feel safe. when using the Oceanview Buffet, there was enough ‘space’ around and no lines, so felt safe especially with staff serving us. 

Did not wear masks except when in an elevator with others; on the bus.Kept one handy when felt a bit crowded, but the Apex just wasn’t. 

Always chance of being infected, especially with COVID being so very contagious, but just used common sense. But the risk is higher than at home. We drove so didn’t have flights to worry about. Will wear a mask on flights until I see legit medical info instead of a judge defining what some wording means instead of what is medically prudent. 

Sure will be interested in your US river cruise. We have never done one….I hear good things about Viking.

Edited by mikewomb

1 hour ago, mikewomb said:

would love to hear how other cruisers have managed their cruise experience, and stayed safe.

50% good immune system

30% luck

20% hygiene

5% math skills

just my opinion

Edited by mfs2k
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

We have been on three cruises since last summer, and survived with no covid problems. My best advise  is to be aware and use common sense. If someone is coughing, move away. Avoid crowded elevators, use the stairs or wait for the next elevator car. Move to the outer edges of busy bars, find pool chairs away from others. Spend time on your balcony, if you have one.

Also, remember that other viruses still  lurk on a cruise. Both DH and I ended up with Norovirus on one of the cruises, and I think i would rather have had Covid! We were quarantined in our cabin   for three days each, which was ok, we felt so bad that we weren’t going out anyway. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mikewomb said:

Sure will be interested in your US river cruise. We have never done one….I hear good things about Viking.

As Elizabeth (Madeline Kahn) said in Young Frankenstein…”It’s True! It’s True!”. Very new ship just being launched. Flat bottom to navigate the Mississippi but modern. We are going from New Orleans to St Paul…the whole run! Going to spend a few days in New Orleans prior. 

I understand that the COVID virus can’t handle alcohol, so I’ll keep myself medicated. Unfortunately, don’t know if I can pour a good Martini down my nose!!

Enjoy!

Den

• Like 2

We have done three cruises since Covid.  So far, we are intact re Covid.  The first was Edge in the Caribbean.  No issues.  The second was a HAL Panama Canal transit.  Masking was required and we were diligent.  Third was a Regent cruise in the Caribbean. First cruise with no masks required.  Ship was half empty.  Extremely easy to keep away from people.  Never wore masks except off the ship.  No issues.  Very fortunate.  We could be the lucky ones who have had it with no symptoms.  We both deal with allergies and I guess at some point that could have been Covid, but we have never tested for antibodies.  I did have one bout of allergies that was bad enough that I was sure I had Covid, and tested twice, with both tests negative.

I hear you on the alarming rates reported recently on this board.  People who do absolutely everything right and get it.  People who go their merry way and don’t.  People who realize where they may have caught it and others with no clue.  A roll of the dice.  The facts are that you can have it and not know and pass it on with no knowledge of doing so.  How does anyone fight that?  We are back on a ship in May and will do all we can to avoid it, but we will try to have fun in spite of it all.

Joanie

• Like 3

Went on a Normandy river cruise last July and an ocean cruise a few weeks ago. No masks, no Covid, didn’t have any issues. No one on the river cruise tested positive during the 12 day cruise. (Of course smaller sample)

We did excursions, and socialized but aware of sanitizing often.Maybe it was the alcohol! We go again to Bermuda in July and I hope for the same results.  

• Like 1

Was on Millennium at the end of March:

-wore our masks while wandering about the ship

-social distanced

-ate at a table for two

-avoided theatre and unfortunately the silent disco

-avoided crowded bars

So glad to be back on board all of the above was not a problem.  

• Like 4

We've been on an Edge 21 day B3B in August, an Apex 16 day B2B in November, a Constellation 21 day B2B in December and a Reflection 14 day B2B in February and avoided C19 on all 4 cruises.

Here’s what we do. In essence we treat moving around the ship like a game. Hey, what can I say, we're on a cruise and having fun is what it's all about, right? 😎

Dining: On our first visit to our dining room, my DW makes sure the hostess and/or maitre 'd know that if at all possible we would like an empty table next to us while dining and are also very willing to sit at the most undesirable table they have. But, in order to be able to do that, we always try to come when the dining room, especially in the evening, first opens. It's amazing how accommodating they can be when you don't care what (non-window) table you sit at.

Elevators: We're in our late 60s and are still able to use the stairs whenever feasible. But if we have to walk up 4+ flights of stairs, especially after a meal, we'll take the elevator with our masks on. Now, if either unmasked or 3 or more passengers decide to enter the elevator on an in-between floor, we get off there and walk up the rest of the way. 

Main theater: When we first board and are exploring the ship, we head to the main theater and develop a strategy as to where we will sit using knowledge from past cruises if possible. On a Celebrity ship, the theaters have 3-4 levels and have a U-shaped design, so it's pretty easy to develop multiple out-of-the-way seating options.

Downtime: We always get a balcony and try to determine which cabin location will produce the most shade during the cruise, especially in the afternoon. Hanging out with a bunch of people near the pool is just not something we would do. 

Excursions: If at all possible we sit in the back of the tour bus while most folks like to sit more towards the front and, of course, we wear our mask at all times while on the bus.

Reducing stress by walking in underutilized spaces: When we first get on the ship, we also check out where the entrances to the promenade walkways are and use them, when necessary, in a crowded situation when we need to get from one end of the ship to another. If not an option, we will use the nearby stairs, walk up a flight or two, and then walk through a cabin hallway to get to the other end of the ship.

Personal Hygiene: We wash our hands whenever feasible without going into any public bathroom. That is a big no no! But we also wash our hands once we get back to the cabin. As far as hand sanitizers go, we use them whenever we go into a theater or dining room as well as when we leave those areas. We also sanitize coming back onto the ship or basically anywhere our hands may have touched something. Heck, my DW makes me sanitize even if I just touch the elevator button. 😂 BTW we use our triple-layered "washable" Celebrity cloth masks as they have done a good job for us and they're comfortable.

But, most importantly, we treat it like a game as we've enjoyed not getting sick on/or after a cruise for many years now. Of course, we also have no desire to mess up our cruise by getting quarantined, either by getting C19 or being traced, as we usually are on B2B cruises that are at least 2-3+ weeks long.

The bottom line is that it's up to YOU to keep yourself safe rather than to worry about the variety of personalities that will be on the ship cruising with you and what they will do.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, mfs2k said:

50% good immune system

30% luck

20% hygiene

5% math skills

just my opinion

Agree, “eat more dirt” helps with #1 for sure.  I haven’t taken any of the precautions  that many mention here on any of my 3 recent cruises..that said, whatever works. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

We're getting ready to go on an 18 day Princess cruise and they allow CC Roll Call functions, such as  Meet & Greets and Sailaway gatherings. Infact there are over 100 passengers signed up for the M&G on our cruise, which we won't be going to. On our past 9 Celebrity cruises since cruising started back up, Celebrity did not allow them. Has their policy changed or are they still a no-go? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The bottom line is that it's up to YOU to keep yourself safe rather than to worry about the variety of personalities that will be on the ship cruising with you and what they will do.

Ditto. Did everything that Ken the cruiser did except out of the 6 cruises in 2021 we drove to the ports and parked there, we did not bother getting off the ships, did NOT wear masks while on board until NewYears Day outbreak and captain ordered them. If someone sat near us we got up and moved. Kept our 6 foot distance from everyone. Took the stairs. It was fairly easy with lack of crowds and plenty of seating. Always get a big balcony to hide out on. Had a blast!!

P.S. Kept out of the buffets until very late for desserts.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
P.S.
  • Like 4