Stockholm cruise , staying one night before cruise

Azulann

On 5/13/2022 at 4:46 PM, DragonOfTheSeas said:

We are staying at the Hilton in Slussen for 3 nights before our July 31 cruise.  We were able to get it for points and it is less than 2 blocks to T-bana/public transit station and walking distance to Gamla Stan.  However, would likely take T-bana to the Gamla Stan station just to cut down on walking.  8 minute walk from ferry dock.

So, we are not far from where you stayed.  Do you remember approximately how much the taxi ride was?  It would be so much more convenient from airport to hotel directly.

If you're staying at Slussen, I would NOT recommend a taxi due to the construction mess that Slussen currently is.

On 5/15/2022 at 1:44 AM, Earl Rosebery said:

Let Google be your friend.. It seems the fixed price is 500 SEK or 50 $.  There seems to be a surcharge of 8$ or so to prebook and have your driver waiting.  Taxi Stockholm is a reliable company.

If using Google, beware of old search results. Taxi Stockholm currently charges 695 kr between Arlanda and central Stockholm.

6 hours ago, janetcbl said:

And from Gamla Stan there is, or at least used to be, a ferry over to Djurgarden where the ABBA museum and the Vasa ship are located. Haven’t been to Stockholm in a few years, so I can’t be sure it is still running. 

Of course the ferry is still running, it is a vital part of the public transportation network in Stockholm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We will be in downtown Stockholm for one night in September after getting off the Viking Jupiter at the end of a Viking Homelands cruise. We need a hotel that will hold our luggage while we sightsee the day we get off the ship and we'll return to the hotel that evening. We plan to sightsee the next day (with the hotel holding our luggage again while we sightsee after we've checked out) and then take the Arlanda Express to the airport late afternoon where we will stay at the Radisson Blu Airport Terminal Hotel before our early flight the next morning. We are looking at hotel near the Central Train Station - there are a couple of Radissons and a Scandic. Does this seem like a good plan to those of you who are Stockholm experts? Any advice on hotels is very welcome too. Thanks in advance. 

Radisson Blu is at the central station is real nice but perhaps not that much better then cheaper hotels.
Scandic Klara is also good but slightly farther away then Radisson Blue.

I have no experience of the other hotels in the vicinity.

Both hotels will absolutely store your luggage while you are out sightseeing.

• 1 month later...
On 5/7/2022 at 5:20 PM, susiesan said:

I will board Norwegian Dawn Aug. 16, 2022 in Stockholm to begin my cruise. How do I find out which pier that ship will use to embark? I will have been in Stockholm 2 nights at the Sheraton Hotel prior to boarding the ship.. I want to plan ahead for where to get a covid test the day of the cruise and how to get to the ship, preferably on public transportation or uber.

The dawn is at frihamnam port. You might get lucky not having to get the test. But if you are boarding on the Monday you can take the test on Friday before you fly into Stockholm

We are also staying in Stockholm and I have read that it has become mainly "cashless" (which is fine with us) and their credit card system is set up as "chip and pin" whereas our cards in the US are "chip and signature".  Can anyone tell me if you can use a typical VISA or Mastercard without a PIN to make purchases?

I have not yet arrived in Stockholm.  The information below is a result of research and the responses of others, not my own first-hand knowledge, except that learned from my last, pre-Covid, trip to Europe.

Most merchants in tourist areas are accustomed to American credit cards which require signatures.  Alternatively, using a contactless credit card frequently bypasses the need for either a PIN or a signature.  And using Google Pay or Apple Pay may be even better.

To the best of my knowledge,

1. Transactions above a certain amount (which amount varies from country to country) may still require a signature.  Solution: Sign the receipt.

2. In some locations, a request for a PIN may appear if you make five consecutive contactless credit card transactions. Solution #1: Try Google Pay or Apple Pay.  Solution #2:  Restart the transaction, this time using the chip or magnetic stripe on the credit card.  Sign the receipt.

1. Arlanda express is extremely convenient with elevator located just outside baggage claim and that elevator takes you directly to the platform.  Train starts and ends at the airport. It zooms to central station in 20 minutes where it terminates.  No scope of any confusion.  399 SEK for 2 persons traveling together.  Vending machine next to elevator has English language option and takes US credit card. 

2. Scandic grand Central (suggested upthread) is next door when you take the rear most elevator from the platform.  Another Scandic and Radisson are convenient to main  Central station.  Plenty of hotel choices to various budget levels.

3. If going to cruise ship at frihamnen with luggage, might be preferable avoid taking public transport.  Distance from bus stop is significant.  Ferry stop is convenient at port but takes a lot of time and is not that frequent.  Just do Uber.  From hotel doorstep to luggage drop at the port for about 180 SEK (18 USD) in about 20 minutes.

4. US credit cards were accepted by HSL app in Helsinki but SL app in Stockholm had issues with it. 

Edited by hal2008

Hal 2008 has recommended the easiest and the quickest, but also the most expensive way to travel between Arlanda and Frihamnen.  The journey can be made exclusively on public transportation for the cost of a 24 hour transit pass and you will have public transit access for the remainder of the 24 hours. Details available upon request.

If you are using public transportation to the pier, I do not see the distance between the bus stop and the cruise ship as being "significant."  As I read the map, the distance between the bus stop for the #76 bus, Frihamnens färjeterminal, and the cruise ship is 700 meters, less than a half mile. That should be a 10 minute walk.

And if the weather is nice, and if you want to take the #80 boat, they run every 30 minutes to Frihamnen.  Just make sure the destination is Ropsten.  The express #80X is a 45 minute ride. The #76 bus ride to Frihamnens färjeterminal is about 15 minutes.

3 hours ago, Stuart Suss said:

If you are using public transportation to the pier, I do not see the distance between the bus stop and the cruise ship as being "significant."  As I read the map, the distance between the bus stop for the #76 bus, Frihamnens färjeterminal, and the cruise ship is 700 meters, less than a half mile. That should be a 10 minute walk.

It would be a significant walk for DH and me if we were rolling/dragging our 2 suitcases and a carry-on bag plus my purse for that far. 

3 hours ago, Stuart Suss said:

And if the weather is nice, and if you want to take the #80 boat, they run every 30 minutes to Frihamnen.  Just make sure the destination is Ropsten.  The express #80X is a 45 minute ride. The #76 bus ride to Frihamnens färjeterminal is about 15 minutes.

We are buying a SL card for public transportation. So, we could go either way.   We are hoping the weather is nice.  We will look at the ferry ride as an "excursion" on the way to the ship.  We noted the ferry leaves every 15 minutes from Nybroplan around the time we need to take it. 

If the weather is poor [windy], we will likely take a taxi or uber.  We would not want to roll suitcases from the bus or be on the ferry if it was rough.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2022 at 3:05 PM, Stuart Suss said:

Hal 2008 has recommended the easiest and the quickest, but also the most expensive way to travel between Arlanda and Frihamnen.  The journey can be made exclusively on public transportation for the cost of a 24 hour transit pass and you will have public transit access for the remainder of the 24 hours. Details available upon request.

You are right on the money about Arlanda+Uber being the expensive route (only cheaper than I guess using Stockholm's taxis).

Arlanda express is about 20 USD per person (when 2 persons traveling together). Airport Bus is cheaper (around 12 usd per person but longer).  Arlanda is extremely convenient with elevator right outside the custom area taking you directly to the platform. If you use commuter train at Arlanda, you have to pay the "Arlanda Gateway Fee" which negates most of the savings - let alone the added hassles.   There is possibility of getting Flixbus for around 6-7 USD provided there is one running when you land. (sometimes wait is several hours - schedule is available online). The cheapest option ("cost of 24 hour travel card") involves finding the busstop for bus 583. Take luggage on it to Mastra station. Drag luggage to CORRECT platform. Take commuter train 42 (or 41) to the central station.

(all the time making sure that you are not victim of pickpocket or purse snatch - something while not as bad as Barcelona, is indeed has become an issue in recent years in Scandinavia , enough for Rick Steve to raise a caution in his guide books)

Also, was thinking more about typical age of the US based cruise travelers for baltic cruise and their general comfort level about local bus after long (rescheduled) stressful TA flight. Compared to the cost of Cruise fare and airfare, 20 USD (or 12 USD) IMHO is not that costly. But to each their own.

Would certainly recommend Bus 76 (or actually more frequent Bus 1) if this was a port call (no luggage).

For start/end of the trip, chugging luggage from Bus 76 on asphalt was no fun (may be Scandinavian summer sun and balmy 86F (30C) temperature was a factor).

Commuter ferry is a nice alternative if you can get to one of its boarding spot rather easily (One can get to Nybroplan using Tram 7 from Central station for example) as it landing spot is almost next to luggage drop at pier. It was indeed a nice ride.

• 2 weeks later...

We had kids so took the commuter train to the central ststion. It was such a pain and really didn't save much money ( kids free on the weekend). We took the Arlanda train back, so easy and convenient.  Just do the Arlanda Express.  We stayed at Nordic Light and while a solid hotel it was literally steps away from the Arlanda Express.  We stayed at Scandic Camper on the way in. We liked the Camper better but it was about $80 more per night. Scenic had amazing coffee and a wonderful breakfast spread.

For someone traveling alone ( Arlanda is more economical with two or more in party)

There are two commuter train options.

First one (right from the airport, skycity, is not that cheaper as one has to pay "arlanda gateway fee")

Second is bus to Mastra station and then train into city (youtube video available) - Will never recommend this option to cruise travel after TransAtlantic flight.

If Arlanda is expensive then flybus about 119 Kr and Flexibis (if available) might be even cheaper.

Nordic hotel is so convenient from Arlanda platform (front of the train) (Hotel C, if acceptable, is closer)

From the rear of the Arlanda Express train, Scandic Grand Central is convenient (and budget hotel Comfor Express is actually right above the rear of the platform)

• 3 weeks later...

If taking Arlanda Express for staying at Sheraton Stockholm,  which door or exit from Central Station to walk to the hotel? We will be 2 people carrying/rolling luggage after a long TATL flight.

Edited by susiesan

22 hours ago, susiesan said:

If taking Arlanda Express for staying at Sheraton Stockholm,  which door or exit from Central Station to walk to the hotel? We will be 2 people carrying/rolling luggage after a long TATL flight.

Either main entrance (main hall entrance/exit) at Centralplan.

https://www.google.se/maps/@59.3304509,18.0593725,3a,72y,238.9h,102.02t,0.33r/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szS0DcE-cXj3DqjBiiNP6Hw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

The hotel is a few hundred meters to your right (to the left in this view) when you exited the station.

https://www.google.se/maps/dir/59.33042,18.0588138/59.3288047,18.0618498/@59.3304158,18.0595512,78m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

Have learned that Europeans are lot more comfortable at dragging luggage on city footpaths for few hundred meters than folks from USA/Canada 

Don't know if it is the quality of the wheels or just something we are not used to do.

If you look at Google map, front of Arlanda express is where hotel Stockholm C is located.  But it is easy to roll bags on smooth floor of station upto main entrance (across from Scandic Continental)

After that you have to drag them on city sidewalks 

Doable but we prefer the other 5-6 hotels of varying budget that minimize dragging bags on city sidewalks 

• 5 weeks later...

Just booked airfare Delta/KLM for our cruise next June. Staying in Stockholm for two nights before our cruise on Viking Jupiter.

We booked the NOFO Hotel in Sodermalm area for two night pre cruise.

Hotel is boutique type with a outdoor courtyard and wine bar. No AC but hopefully  with a room fan , open window it can be cool at night. 

Looking forward to exploring that area and also old town area. Very excited.

Any suggestions for good lunch or dinner near by ?    

• 1 month later...

Another vote for Nordic Lights. Not too expensive,came with breakfast that was decent. Very convenient to Arlandia express.

We took regular metro as we traveled with kids on Midsommer (which meant they were free) on the way in and it wasn't worth schelping the luggage farther through the airport to save a few dollars. Take the Arlandia express. The more people the cheaper the tickets.

We stayed at Scandic Camper on the way in and loved the amenities of the hotel, the rooftop bar has amazing views, but you can't take kids up there. They have a pay for pool too. Their breakfast was amazing, too. Best hotel breakfast I ever had, in my opinion.

Edited by bearette