Haines, Sitka, Skagway, Juneau

Monica887

Any reliable non cruise line tours available in any of these ports? Kids are 8 and 11 love animals and adventure type stuff, but I want it to be things unique to Alaska, not just something like ziplining. 

I'd love to plan some that are not at cruise line prices (over $200 pp to canoe? For a family of 4, with 4 ports that's insanity...). I don't mind doing a couple through the cruise line but I can't see myself doing them every day. 

• Like 1

Juneau whale watching then glacier. 

Skagway bus to Yukon with dogs. Or train or train then dogs in US without all the covid paperwork. 

Sitka, bird refuge, downtown walks or wildlife boat trip.

Haines, if afternoon-night (5-10) can't help much, if all day river float then hammer museum. 

fyi all the tours will be at cruise line or above prices but the private tours often smaller groups and better interaction. Sometime with the kids at half off the cruise lines are cheaper. If you want unforgettable the kids are perfect age for helo glacier in Juneau or Skagway but be sitting down when you see that price. 

Thank you, this is helpful! I'm used to Caribbean cruises, where booking it on my own is wayyyyy cheaper. If prices are truly comparable, then I'll likely stick with the cruise line. 

I'm glad you mentioned whale watching and glacier in Juneau, because I just started making my list and that's the one I have highlighted for there.  At 250 a person, it's probably as much of a splurge as I can handle, unless the other ports have much more reasonable options. I'm definitely priced out of the helicopter and sea plane ones. Some of the hikes also are ages 12 and up, which excludes us. 

Haines does seem to be just the evening, with Skagway that morning. 

The dog ones in either Juneau or Skagway you will have to read up about. JUN ride in cart with wheels on road and pet the puppies. In Skagway it is part of longer bus ride and stops including the Yukon musher camp and pet puppies. Cart ride costs extra. There is one in the US but I don't have info on it.

This year in Skagway the train only goes to US with no connection to Canada. Anything you read that is prior to 2022 is very likey wrong for this year.

Just about every tour will have a youtube video on it. Try to look for the individual ones to stay away from the ads. Latest is better. Here is a sample. Mushers Camp - Dog Sled Experience - Skagway, Alaska - Princess Cruises tour - YouTube 

Unlike the Florida tours most of the good tours sell out for a reason and almost nothing good will be available on the pier.   sightcrr. 

We are a family of 3 and are planning our 4th visit to Alaska but first cruise, so I can kind of relate to the sticker price for all the tours... My approach though is that we're going to do a lot of hiking in most of the ports because we mostly go to experience Alaskan nature anyways and just do one expensive tour as a highlight experience. In some ports we'll do more cultural experiences like tribal village performances and Totem poles but overall I don't think you have to spend a lot of money to enjoy Alaska.

Also, I believe most ports will have local vendors at the pier lined up with tour offerings (we stayed in Juneau for 4 days and just walked up to cruise port one day to book a few excursions). Our whale watching cruise cost us about $200 for all three but this was back in 2018 (but we also decided that it wasn't our thing even though we saw plenty of whales).

We did a summer dog camp experience in Juneau even though I was most skeptical about it. We all loved it (our daughter was 2.5 at the time). The ride itself is very short, only about 1 mile in length, but dogs are so excited and it's fun to watch their interactions during the run. You also get to learn about mushing history and sport and interact with adult dogs and puppies.

Mendenhall  Glacier is very accessible and features multiple hikes. So does Mt. Roberts tramway.

Haines is a sweet tiny town but with a LOT of hiking opportunities in amazing Alaskan outdoors. If local rental agencies still exist, they drop the car by the port (they met us at the ferry since that's how we came). At Chilkat State Park you have views of the glaciers. Chilkoot Lake is another beautiful spot (I believe this is where we saw bears at the dam but didn't do any hiking).

We also drove to Kroschel Wildlife Center one of the days. Looks like they're still operating but their tours are usually booked through the cruise line although you can message them directly if you're willing to drive yourself (that's what we did). 

We haven't been to Skagway and Sitka yet but I imagine there are walking/hiking opportunities there as well. Have fun!

I don't know what the rules are this summer for traveling into Canada by car, but when we were in Skagway years ago we rented a car and drove as far as Emerald Lake in the Yukon territory. There are a lot of detailed descriptions of the drive on here, it was gorgeous, I enjoyed doing it on our own timeline, and it was a pretty inexpensive day (only the car rental). But again I don't know if you can cross the border this summer by car.

Sitka:  There is a bus in the center of town that will take you to the Fortress of the Bears and the Raptor Center for a single fare per person.  The bus just circulates the area and back to the pick up spot so you can spend as much time as you want.   You can walk to the Raptor Center through the Totem Park but the Fortress of the Bears  is further out and well worth your time.

Haines:  Steve Krochel’s wildlife center is educational and so much fun but you have to schedule it.  We did the ship excursion.  You just can’t drive out there and take the tour.  

In Skagway you can see the national park exhibits that are open, maybe take. tour with a ranger.  There are some great hiking trails.  Pick up the hiking trails brochure at the visitor center or look online to plan ahead.  We enjoyed Smuggler’s Cove.

Edited by oaktreerb

Op here...I changed my mind about being priced out of a helicopter tour. I really want to do one. 

What do we think about doing a sea otter and wildlife quest in Sitka in Sitka Sound. Followed by a helicopter and glacier walk on Mendenhall in Juneau. Then in Skagway and Haines wing it and look for hikes or a taxi in our own (open to ideas for that). 

Are we missing anything big if we do it that way?

Comments: Now I think you are making good use of all the money it costs to fly and cruise. 

Sitka: thumbs up.

Juneau, Book the helo as soon as possible. Mendenhall is just one of many glaciers that they land on so don't be alarmed if it is not Mendenhall. They fill up fast and all are spectacular. 

Skagway, Look into shortened historic summit train ride that stays in the US then walk town. (sit on left going up)

Walk Haines and visit hammer museum if open. If not open at least walk by and look at sign outside and roof. 

sightcrr

1 hour ago, SightCRR said:

Comments: Now I think you are making good use of all the money it costs to fly and cruise. 

Sitka: thumbs up.

Juneau, Book the helo as soon as possible. Mendenhall is just one of many glaciers that they land on so don't be alarmed if it is not Mendenhall. They fill up fast and all are spectacular. 

Skagway, Look into shortened historic summit train ride that stays in the US then walk town. (sit on left going up)

Walk Haines and visit hammer museum if open. If not open at least walk by and look at sign outside and roof. 

sightcrr

Excellent - thank you! If the helicopter does sell out, where would I find another excursions, if not through the cruise? Trip is beginning of July, and I'll probably book next week. 

For cruise line tours if Juneau is booked select helo in Skagway from cruise line first. Next we have had nice flights with Temsco in Skagway and Costal in Juneau. Don't think the kids will be 1/2 off. Both pick up near pier. Skagway 10 min drive and nice views of the ships in port, Juneau 30 min drive, flight may see Mendenhall on way to glacier. Airport is near Mendenhall and the docks for the whale watches. sightcrr

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Monica887 said:

Op here...I changed my mind about being priced out of a helicopter tour. I really want to do one. 

What do we think about doing a sea otter and wildlife quest in Sitka in Sitka Sound. Followed by a helicopter and glacier walk on Mendenhall in Juneau. Then in Skagway and Haines wing it and look for hikes or a taxi in our own (open to ideas for that). 

Are we missing anything big if we do it that way?

Sitka Sound is beautiful.  We did the sea otter and wildlife quest and enjoyed it several years ago.  Haven’t taken a helicopter in Alaska but thought the seaplane to Taku Glacier Lodge for lunch was amazing.  Walking on a glacier is surely a unique experience but the helicopter scares me!