Power in stateroom

darstamp

On our upcoming cruise we will need power for an oxygen concentrator, power to recharge portable concentrator batteries, power to charge an I pad and to charge two cell phones.  I found a power bar with no surge protector on Amazon that would meet our needs and is supposed to be for cruise ships.  Has anyone tried one of these and have you had any problems?  .  

13 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Does HAL allow oxygen concentrators? Not a user but Viking Ocean requires them to be inspected and approved by Viking.

From the HAL website, FAQ.

As our restart protocols continue to evolve, we have lifted the moratorium on oxygen concentrators and peritoneal dialysis effective immediately. While we welcome guests who use oxygen concentrators and are undergoing peritoneal dialysis, we are currently unable to accept guests who use oxygen tanks or are undergoing hemodialysis at this time. We remain optimistic that out approach on future sailings will become more flexible.  Health Protocols page and FAQs.

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2022 at 4:07 PM, darstamp said:

On our upcoming cruise we will need power for an oxygen concentrator, power to recharge portable concentrator batteries, power to charge an I pad and to charge two cell phones.  I found a power bar with no surge protector on Amazon that would meet our needs and is supposed to be for cruise ships.  Has anyone tried one of these and have you had any problems?  .  

The main problem I see is the total power required.  Check the amperage of all devices and add them together.  If they total over 15 amps, then you will likely overload the power strip.  I see that a concentrator uses about 4 amps by itself, no clue how much the chargers require, but possibly similar.  Know also that the outlets in the cabins are rated 15 or 20 amps, but are shared between 2-3 cabins, so whether your charging overloads the circuit will depend on how much the other cabins are using.  I would plan to have extra batteries for the portable units and charge them during the day when cabin usage is typically less, and you would not be running the cabin concentrator at the same time.  Ipads and phones don't need nightly charging, so rotating these one at a time would also be helpful.

As a note, the power strip the previous poster linked, is rated 10 amps total, and the USB ports can put out 2.4 amps each, so trying to use all your devices at the same time would likely overload this power strip.

If your concentrator and battery chargers are dual voltage, and you can plug them into the 220v outlet with an adapter, this will cut the amperage draw for all the devices in half, and make it more likely to work consistantly.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2

On 5/5/2022 at 1:42 PM, Heartgrove said:

Does HAL allow oxygen concentrators? Not a user but Viking Ocean requires them to be inspected and approved by Viking.

The full size one has to be ordered from one of two companies approved by HAL.  You can bring your own portable or rent one of those as well.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The main problem I see is the total power required.  Check the amperage of all devices and add them together.  If they total over 15 amps, then you will likely overload the power strip.  I see that a concentrator uses about 4 amps by itself, no clue how much the chargers require, but possibly similar.  Know also that the outlets in the cabins are rated 15 or 20 amps, but are shared between 2-3 cabins, so whether your charging overloads the circuit will depend on how much the other cabins are using.  I would plan to have extra batteries for the portable units and charge them during the day when cabin usage is typically less, and you would not be running the cabin concentrator at the same time.  Ipads and phones don't need nightly charging, so rotating these one at a time would also be helpful.

As a note, the power strip the previous poster linked, is rated 10 amps total, and the USB ports can put out 2.4 amps each, so trying to use all your devices at the same time would likely overload this power strip.

If your concentrator and battery chargers are dual voltage, and you can plug them into the 220v outlet with an adapter, this will cut the amperage draw for all the devices in half, and make it more likely to work consistantly.

Well, you really hit a weak spot for me as my knowledge of electricity is limited to the vibrating molecules that I was told about in school many eons ago. How it gets to the light switch on the wall is a major mystery, so I'm really thankful for your comments.  The large concentrator will be plugged into the wall at night only.   I can probably recharge the portable some during the day as I am using it about the ship but not on excursions.  We can rotate the two phones and the I pad.  The last thing I want to do is overload the system.  

On 5/5/2022 at 2:07 PM, darstamp said:

When you complete your medical form for HAL, add a request for a power strip to charge your concentrator. and it will be provided.