Testing at Piraeus, Athens

welwyngirl

We are sailing on Pursuit on 17th May but spending five days prior in Mykonos.  Has anyone any experience of availability of Covid testing at Piraeus port or even Mykonos, please?  

We are cruising on Journey June '22. I just went to the Azamara website to check most recent requirements for Greece and they have not updated the information since July '21! This seems rather concerning. Hopefully someone on these boards can advise...

• Like 3

Found this link: https://travel.gov.gr/#/.     It appears that fully vaccinated passengers do not need a test. Also this from the Azamara Greece info page:

• PCR Test Result
    Travelers must provide evidence of a negative result from a PCR test for SARS-CoV-2 that has been conducted within the 72 hours period before your arrival time in Greece. Proof of a negative test is not required however for all travelers that have completed their vaccination(i.e., 14 days have elapsed since the last vaccination, depending on the doses required) and hold a vaccination certificate.

25 minutes ago, yogagal47 said:

Found this link: https://travel.gov.gr/#/.     It appears that fully vaccinated passengers do not need a test. Also this from the Azamara Greece info page:

• PCR Test Result
    Travelers must provide evidence of a negative result from a PCR test for SARS-CoV-2 that has been conducted within the 72 hours period before your arrival time in Greece. Proof of a negative test is not required however for all travelers that have completed their vaccination(i.e., 14 days have elapsed since the last vaccination, depending on the doses required) and hold a vaccination certificate.

I'm trying to contact Azamara now as I received notification a week or so ago advising tests were required prior to boarding at passengers' expense.  Just gone to check in and notice says complimentary tests will be given and details of how to register for this will be sent.  We embark on 17th May and have heard nothing.  It's completely confusing.

• Like 3

I’ll be interested to hear your response. B.A. has just cancelled our flight to Athens for an Azamara cruise on 4th June. Subsequently trying to re organise hotels, parking , lateral flow tests etc! We were wondering whether to do our tests at Athens airport or before embarking. However, if Azamara are now doing complimentary tests it will be one less hassle!

• Like 1

With the threat of cancelled flights from london to Greece added to the mix our long awaited trip is Turning into nightmare. Testing before we leave US, testing in Greece , if we can get there. The threat of positive tests in Greece, positive tests in the cruise and then the possibility of becoming very ill  on the ship. Will they have the anti virus drug? Every day it looks more unpromising😬😬😬

• Like 1

2 hours ago, welwyngirl said:

I'm trying to contact Azamara now as I received notification a week or so ago advising tests were required prior to boarding at passengers' expense.  Just gone to check in and notice says complimentary tests will be given and details of how to register for this will be sent.  We embark on 17th May and have heard nothing.  It's completely confusing.

You are right. It is very confusing. I have not heard of tests at Piraeus rather than those offered by Azamara at US 59 per person. My hotel told me that at a pharmacy nearby the hotel (Plaka neighborhood in Athens) the antigen test can be done for Euro 10. Maybe there is a pharmacy in Piraeus doing those tests? or in Mykonos?

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

3 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

• PCR Test Result

The covid test is not s requirement of Greece. It is a requirement of Azamara.

Ivi

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

The covid test is not s requirement of Greece. It is a requirement of Azamara.

Ivi

from their website:

• Will I have to take a SARS-CoV-2 test before or during my cruise? 

Guests will no longer be required to undergo a COVID-19 antigen test while checking in at the terminal. To strive for a COVID-19 free environment, guests will be required to provide results from a negative COVID-19 test upon embarkation from a testing laboratory or other licensed testing site. Negative test results from at-home and/or self-testing kits are not accepted. Antigen COVID-19 testing is available for $59 USD in the terminal or on the boarding deck, and PCR testing is also available for $85 USD. Guests who are required to take a COVID-19 test before returning home can do so onboard for $59 USD for Antigen and $85 USD for PCR. Please contact Guest Relations while onboard for further information. Please note some governments and certain airlines require proof of a negative SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR test no more than three days before entry or flight departure.

I do not understand why they would not accept proctored/monitored EMED tests which are fully accepted for returning to the US. We also used them before a recent backroads trip

It is becoming very difficult to know what is required on boarding.  We are on the May 26 Journey Greek cruise and have arranged for PCR testing before we leave home, since our last communication was that complimentary testing at the pier was no longer available.  Has this changed???

7 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

from their website:

• Will I have to take a SARS-CoV-2 test before or during my cruise? 

Guests will no longer be required to undergo a COVID-19 antigen test while checking in at the terminal. To strive for a COVID-19 free environment, guests will be required to provide results from a negative COVID-19 test upon embarkation from a testing laboratory or other licensed testing site. Negative test results from at-home and/or self-testing kits are not accepted. Antigen COVID-19 testing is available for $59 USD in the terminal or on the boarding deck, and PCR testing is also available for $85 USD. Guests who are required to take a COVID-19 test before returning home can do so onboard for $59 USD for Antigen and $85 USD for PCR. Please contact Guest Relations while onboard for further information. Please note some governments and certain airlines require proof of a negative SARS-CoV-2 RT-PCR test no more than three days before entry or flight departure.

I do not understand why they would not accept proctored/monitored EMED tests which are fully accepted for returning to the US. We also used them before a recent backroads trip

In another thread on the same topic, it said that Azamara does accept the proctored Emed tests.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wjfan417 said:

In another thread on the same topic, it said that Azamara does accept the proctored Emed tests.

It’s chaos, if you go on the website it’s mixed messages from end to end.  One page says it’s complimentary another it’s charged for.  Conflicting information when agents or guests call for answers. It needs sorting out. 

I think if you really want to stretch the revenue line a different case can be made between charging for tests to board and charging to go home.  
To board, it’s a cruiseline not country rule, it’s a cost you would not incur for a land based trip in the country so the cruiseline should pay.

To go home, it’s a cost dictated by the country you are travelling to.  You would have to pay it if you were on a land based trip in the country so you should pay, BUT the cruiseline should sell it to you at cost.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, welwyngirl said:

My travel agent contacted Azamara and they told her that we have to bring our own tests results. They have also given her a contact for  testing in Piraeus. 

AKTI MOTSOPOLOU 58
Pireus - Athens 18536
www.doctornearyou.gr

Maybe that helps😔 I agree that pre-cruising with Azamara has become absurdly stressful. I have cruised 3 times last year under Covid with mein Schiff and the instructions were very clear and the company did everything possible to allow us for a pleasant experience pre cruise, onboard and after cruise.

Ivi

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nellypops said:

I just found this in my embarkation papers.

21F2ACF8-1067-4FB6-B530-F63E0FB90B5F.jpeg

Thanks Nellypops, I shall wait for our embarkation papers and if it’s the same I will screenshot this, print it out and present it at embarkation! Have a lovely holiday!

16 hours ago, annapolitan369 said:

It is becoming very difficult to know what is required on boarding.  We are on the May 26 Journey Greek cruise and have arranged for PCR testing before we leave home, since our last communication was that complimentary testing at the pier was no longer available.  Has this changed???

We are on that cruise. Have been into your embarkation papers and read the small print. We shall be very careful 10 days before and wearing high grade hospital masks for the journey. Don’t remove them in the airport and never removing on the flight. Hopefully then all will be negative.  We also take extra testing for our own minds, air conditioning plays havoc with me.

On 5/7/2022 at 8:14 AM, Nellypops said:

We are on that cruise. Have been into your embarkation papers and read the small print. We shall be very careful 10 days before and wearing high grade hospital masks for the journey. Don’t remove them in the airport and never removing on the flight. Hopefully then all will be negative.  We also take extra testing for our own minds, air conditioning plays havoc with me.

You plan to be on a 10 hour flight without a single bite to eat or sip of water to drink? Seems like an unrealistic expectation?

18 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

You plan to be on a 10 hour flight without a single bite to eat or sip of water to drink? Seems like an unrealistic expectation?

No, we will be extremely careful 10 days before the holiday. The flight is 4 hours. It’s achievable we did it going to Tenerife in November.Late evening flight so hopefully might sleep.

Coming back from Tenerife the young woman behind me kept moaning how she was ill. No mask and stood up in the isle, most of the time. Obvious she had Covid, I was pinged the next day from track& trace. Very selfish I thought .  I have had Covid and was extremely ill, wouldn’t wish it for anyone.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Nellypops said:

No, we will be extremely careful 10 days before the holiday. The flight is 4 hours. It’s achievable we did it going to Tenerife in November.Late evening flight so hopefully might sleep.

Coming back from Tenerife the young woman behind me kept moaning how she was ill. No mask and stood up in the isle, most of the time. Obvious she had Covid, I was pinged the next day from track& trace. Very selfish I thought .  I have had Covid and was extremely ill, wouldn’t wish it for anyone.

By the way you could still drink on the plane with a drinking straw. In that way you can still keep hydrated. This is what I am planning to do. 
Ivi

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1