Australian visa turn-around time

MoneyGuy

We’re Canadians and are starting to plan a cruise to Australia and, perhaps, NZ. We’ve ever been to either before. 

How long is the turn-around time for approval of the AUS ETA visa? Do Canadians require a visa to travel to NZ? 

I don’t know if turn-around times are different now due to COVID-19. 

7 hours ago, MoneyGuy said:

We’re Canadians and are starting to plan a cruise to Australia and, perhaps, NZ. We’ve ever been to either before. 

How long is the turn-around time for approval of the AUS ETA visa? Do Canadians require a visa to travel to NZ? 

I don’t know if turn-around times are different now due to COVID-19. 

According to Australian Home Affairs website, from 6th April, you apply on the Australian ETA app available from the Apple Store or Google Play Store and in most cases you will be notified of the result immediately.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/electronic-travel-authority-601#HowTo

You will also need a NZ ETA - https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/options/visit

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, WESTEAST said:

We went online and received our AU and NZ visas either immediately or within the hour after signing off. 

As from 6th April 2022, you have to apply for an ETA on the Australian ETA app, not online using a browser as previously.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Coachpoz said:

How much does Australia and New Zealand visas cost?

Cost

There is no Visa Application Charge (VAC). There may be an application service charge of AUD20.

Cost and processing time
Requesting an NZeTA costs NZD $9 through the app or NZD $12 if you use this form.
Allow up to 72 hours for processing, although it could take as little as 10 minutes.

The IVL
If you are entering New Zealand you must also pay an IVL, which funds tourism infrastructure and helps protect our natural environment. You pay the IVL at the same time as you request your NZeTA. The IVL costs NZD $35.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Coachpoz said:

I am going to be applying for a new passport in Nov should I apply now or wait.  

Wait for your new passport as once your current passport expires, the ETA does too.

Visa label

We will digitally link your visa to your passport. You will not get a label in your passport.

Your ETA is attached to your current passport. If your current passport expires or you get a new passport:

• your ETA will cease
  • you must apply for a new ETA

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2022 at 7:21 PM, possum52 said:

According to Australian Home Affairs website, from 6th April, you apply on the Australian ETA app available from the Apple Store or Google Play Store and in most cases you will be notified of the result immediately.

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/electronic-travel-authority-601#HowTo

You will also need a NZ ETA - https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/options/visit

On 5/12/2022 at 5:11 PM, possum52 said:

As from 6th April 2022, you have to apply for an ETA on the Australian ETA app, not online using a browser as previously.

I know you posted this info a few months ago possum52 but I wanted to share my appreciation for your posts.

This evening my wife and I downloaded both apps on our iPhones and followed directions and all went perfect 🙂

Wanted to make sure we had approvals before final payments and purchased airfare (which I’d is crazy expensive right now).

Had approvals from both Australia and New Zealand within 15 minutes after completing all the steps and downloading documents.

Cant wait to visit you all next year.

cheers,

John

2 hours ago, AZjohn said:

I know you posted this info a few months ago possum52 but I wanted to share my appreciation for your posts.

This evening my wife and I downloaded both apps on our iPhones and followed directions and all went perfect 🙂

Wanted to make sure we had approvals before final payments and purchased airfare (which I’d is crazy expensive right now).

Had approvals from both Australia and New Zealand within 15 minutes after completing all the steps and downloading documents.

Cant wait to visit you all next year.

cheers,

John

Glad it worked well for you John. Enjoy your trip down under.

12 hours ago, AZjohn said:

How much did you pay for the AU and NZ E-Visa?   Thank you.

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

How much did you pay for the AU and NZ E-Visa?   Thank you.

It was exactly what possum52 posted below

$20 AUD

$44 NZD ($9 + $35)

Not sure of the exact conversion rate to USD but thought it was very reasonable fees.

I also thought it was cool to just be able to do everything on the cell phone 🙂

On 5/30/2022 at 11:24 PM, possum52 said:

Cost

There is no Visa Application Charge (VAC). There may be an application service charge of AUD20.

Cost and processing time
Requesting an NZeTA costs NZD $9 through the app or NZD $12 if you use this form.
Allow up to 72 hours for processing, although it could take as little as 10 minutes.

The IVL
If you are entering New Zealand you must also pay an IVL, which funds tourism infrastructure and helps protect our natural environment. You pay the IVL at the same time as you request your NZeTA. The IVL costs NZD $35.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

If the cruise ends in Sydney (with no prior cruise stop in Australia), and from the cruise ship, I go directly to the Sydney airport for the return flight back to U.S., will I still need to get a visa?

Yes you will need an ETA to enter Australia when you disembark your cruise ship.

• 2 months later...

I wish I had known about the ETA before I applied online for the Temporary Visa 600.  I don't have any major health issues but I was sent an email letter stating I needed a health examination.  Is it because I am 82 years old?  It staes that it needs to be done at specific places in the US  Luckily there is one within 50 miles of my home.  I have tried to see if I could get a letter from my primary doctor at Kaiser but was not able to get any answer by using the chat dialogue online.  Would i still need health exam if I applied for the ETA  which seems a much simpler process?  I don't have a problem with health exam other than the inconvenience and extra cost. 

11 hours ago, mauiluver said:

I wish I had known about the ETA before I applied online for the Temporary Visa 600.  I don't have any major health issues but I was sent an email letter stating I needed a health examination.  Is it because I am 82 years old?  It staes that it needs to be done at specific places in the US  Luckily there is one within 50 miles of my home.  I have tried to see if I could get a letter from my primary doctor at Kaiser but was not able to get any answer by using the chat dialogue online.  Would i still need health exam if I applied for the ETA  which seems a much simpler process?  I don't have a problem with health exam other than the inconvenience and extra cost. 

Have you paid for your visa yet?  If not, load the ETA form onto your smartphone. Apply. Cost is around $15 US.     No medical. Immediate  (or very soon after) confirmation 

3 hours ago, possum52 said:

How may I ask how you came to apply for a visa 600 and not the ETA (visa 601)? 

I went to website and it stated tourist visa so completed the form.  I obviously did not do my research.  Is it true that all applicants whether for ETA or Visa 600 if you are over 75 need a health exam?  

3 hours ago, mauiluver said:

I went to website and it stated tourist visa so completed the form.  I obviously did not do my research.  Is it true that all applicants whether for ETA or Visa 600 if you are over 75 need a health exam?  

Sorry, I don't know. It's a pity you didn't see this thread and a couple of others on this board which have quite a bit of information on the ETA as well as the NZeTA

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1