Food Questions

Firepath

We are new to Princess and going on an Alaskan cruise. What are the times for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the MDR’s? I’m trying to coordinate with activities. Are there any special meals for the first night? Can you take your carry-on to your cabin and wait for your cabin to be ready or do you have to haul it with you?

I dont remember the time for breakfast, but I think it is 630 (maybe 6, maybe 7 - I dont eat breakfast).  I think lunch starts about 11 and goes to 1 or so.

dinner is about 530 for the first seating (maybe as early as 5, or 515). 

On a cruise, it is all relative!

And if you find that the MDR times are not to your liking, there is almost always something to eat at the buffet, or a slice of pizza or a burger or something!  Even a salad, and depending on the ship, at the lowest deck there is another place to eat too. 

I dont remember a special meal on the first night.

Depending on when you board, your room may not be ready, so you may have to lug your carry-on for a while. 

I think someone has recently posted the Alaska menus so you may be able to get some of the detalied questions answered in that thread

54 minutes ago, Firepath said:

We are new to Princess and going on an Alaskan cruise. What are the times for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the MDR’s? I’m trying to coordinate with activities. Are there any special meals for the first night? Can you take your carry-on to your cabin and wait for your cabin to be ready or do you have to haul it with you?

Breakfast hours will vary. Lunch in the MDR is noon to 1:30. Earliest time for dinner in the app is 5:00. You may or may not have to lug your carry-on around with you after you get on the ship. That depends a lot on when you board and how fast the staff have finished the cabins.

1 hour ago, Firepath said:

Breakfast depends on port times. Generally 6:30 to 9am on port days and 7 to 9:30 on sea days.

Lunch in the DR is served only on sea days and is normally noon to 1:30

Dinner begins at 5pm in at least one or two DRs. Latest entry is usually 9:30pm. You can find the times (maybe) on the Dine My Way app.

No special meals the first night.

Carry on. Depends on when you board. Most times if you board after 11:30am you can go to your cabin, drop your carry on and place your stuff in the cabin safe. But, this does vary by ship and port. There is one DR open for lunch on boarding day from either 11:30 to 1pm or from noon to 1:30. It is easy to bring your carry on with you when you have lunch.

2 hours ago, Firepath said:

Someone on the Crown currently has posted a few Patters( newsletter). Here is the dining times for Crown Princess. May 7 which was the embarkation day  in DaVinci dining room open from 7 AM to 9 AM for breakfast, noon to 130 for lunch, and 5 PM to 930 for dinner .

day number two which was a Sea day the same times. Michelangelo dining room says it’s closed . Boticelli  dining room for both of those days said 5 PM to  9:30 PM.

Day three May 9 in Ketchikan -da Vinci dining room open 7 AM to 9 AM for breakfast and then 5 PM to 9:30 PM for dinner.

Day four which was May 10 in Skagway -da Vinci dining room open 7 AM to 9 AM for breakfast, noon to 130 for lunch, and 5 PM to 9:30 PM for dinner.

I didn’t look that carefully at the Boticelli dining room ,but I have a feeling it was open every evening from 5 to 930pm.

All the dining rooms except for specialty will serve the same menu for dinner. Nothing special that I know of on first night.

As far as taking your carry-on to your cabin on embarkation day ,it really depends on what time you board,but rooms can be available at noon time to 1 PM .sometimes the fire doors are closed and you cannot drop off any luggage .sometimes they’re open & your room is ready, you just never know exactly. 

Take a look at the current sailing ( posts)of the Crown-and you can probably look at it more in detail.  Title says live from the crown return to service May 7 

Edited by arizonaperson

5 hours ago, skynight said:

Lunch in the DR is served only on sea days and is normally noon to 1:30

Lunch is served in one of the MDRs on turnaround days. That is embarkation day which is not a sea day.

Edited by brisalta