Q & A for those cruising Princess June 16, 19, 23 & 26 out of Brisbane

1 hour ago, Elorac123 said:

Holland America took mine, it was my first ever cruise (Inside Passage) and my luggage wasn’t delivered and a note left to go down to ? Deck

Wondered what was happening.They confiscated my power board 

Cheers Carole

We always take our powerboard in our carry-ons.

22 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We always take our powerboard in our carry-ons.

We have had ours taken twice by security at check-in, so I always thought it was at least better to get it on the ship and negotiate in the naughty room. It is only 2 port, not surge protected and has been OK on a shipload of cruises. I still pack it, but don't rely on having to use it.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Elorac123 said:

Holland America took mine, it was my first ever cruise (Inside Passage) and my luggage wasn’t delivered and a note left to go down to ? Deck

Wondered what was happening.They confiscated my power board 

Cheers Carole

Pain huh?

It was a Noordam cruise too that we got the same note about DH’s suitcase - down to Guest Services to get the case out of jail because of …… a suspicious rechargeable shaver 🙄

Have no idea what they thought it was on the X-ray machine 🤣😂

Edited by Porky55
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, arxcards said:

We have had ours taken twice by security at check-in, so I always thought it was at least better to get it on the ship and negotiate in the naughty room. It is only 2 port, not surge protected and has been OK on a shipload of cruises. I still pack it, but don't rely on having to use it.

Nor do we. We have Plans B (Double adaptor) and C (US Adaptor for charger units) as well. 

Plus I put a printout of the relevant page of the Princess Passage Contract in the Aldi charger bag.

7 minutes ago, CDaze71 said:

Are these type of 4 port USB Charging Ports accepted on Princess?

4 port USB Kmart.jpg

Yes. That type of board would be OK and it should not be confiscated. Julie has a good idea of printing out the page on Princess' passenger contract where it mentions the type of board that isn't allowed.

The only real problem is with power-boards with the cut-off switch. I did hear a technical explanation of why they cause a problem, but all I can really recall is that in an extreme circumstance, they could cause a fire.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Nor do we. We have Plans B (Double adaptor) and C (US Adaptor for charger units) as well. 

Plus I put a printout of the relevant page of the Princess Passage Contract in the Aldi charger bag.

Why I think it is better in luggage, as the ship knows their own rules. A zealous security person on the X-ray machine in the terminal is not a cruise line employee and not necessarily savvy on what is OK and what isn't with the ship of the day. 

This being a Princess thread, all should be OK, but the security person still needs to determine there is no surge protection.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The only real problem is with power-boards with the cut-off switch. I did hear a technical explanation of why they cause a problem, but all I can really recall is that in an extreme circumstance, they could cause a fire.

The surge protector on these cheap electrical boards is just a flimsy component. The protection weakens after every surge, and they can go off like a mini fire cracker when they fail. Something like this ...

42 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Back to the original topic - are they serving Pepsi or Coke?  I believe P&O are now serving Pepsi and some people are not impressed.  First world problem.  Thanks

They used to call the soft drink package on Princess - the Coke card. It would be a shame if that is no longer the case.

I didn't think too much about it on P&O, as I didn't have a drink with cola in it. But yes, pretty sure there was Pepsi in the cabin fridge. Yep, lots of first world problems.

6 hours ago, CDaze71 said:

Are these type of 4 port USB Charging Ports accepted on Princess?

4 port USB Kmart.jpg

I got this one from Amazon - it has slide in/out travel plugs as well as a USB port for hubbys 12.9” iPad (USB-C), 2 normal USB ports and one max charge USB (??). Saves the power cord and will try to find a Euro outlet to use it on. 

A919F628-5054-4746-8638-A940CA064C59.png

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

I got this one from Amazon - it has slide in/out travel plugs as well as a USB port for hubbys 12.9” iPad (USB-C), 2 normal USB ports and one max charge USB (??). Saves the power cord and will try to find a Euro outlet to use it on. 

Coral will probably have an Australian socket which is the same voltage as Euro ones. So if that isn't an Aus plug at the top left of the photo you'll need an adaptor.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Coral will probably have an Australian socket which is the same voltage as Euro ones. So if that isn't an Aus plug at the top left of the photo you'll need an adaptor.

Yep it sure is 👍

But we are in a suite and since they put the flat screen tvs on the walls, there are PowerPoints behind where the tvs were, so can use it. (Either Euro or US - US just charges slower).

We have a multitude of international adaptors and chargers - I just liked the simplicity of this one. 

FF26E608-D07D-484C-AD4A-1106B11E4DA2.jpeg

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Porky55 said:

Yep it sure is 👍

But we are in a suite and since they put the flat screen tvs on the walls, there are PowerPoints behind where the tvs were, so can use it. (Euro or US - US just charges slower).

We have a multitude of international adaptors and chargers - I just liked the simplicity of this one. 

It certainly looks nice and compact. 

• Like 2

Hi, another query from me if that's okay. I'm a coffee drinker and other than flat whites and lattes I only drink instant (powder or granules). I'm hoping the buffet might have instant decaf (or any instant) as an option. If not, I'll bring my own - I just don't do tea or filter type coffee. Cheers 😋

3 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Hi, another query from me if that's okay. I'm a coffee drinker and other than flat whites and lattes I only drink instant (powder or granules). I'm hoping the buffet might have instant decaf (or any instant) as an option. If not, I'll bring my own - I just don't do tea or filter type coffee. Cheers 😋

Except for the specialty coffee, expect coffee to be  made from syrup or (in the dining room) brewed. Maybe bring your own might be safer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

Have you used it yet?

Even though compact, the shape of these can be a problem. Some cabin outlets we have experienced had no room above the desk or next to a corner in the wall to handle even an odd shaped phone charger. We had another where a Euro socket was deeper than the adapter pins, so when the USB unit was pushed hard against the wall, the pins weren't protruding far enough to plug in properly. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jean C said:

Buffet coffee, not a fan.

Princess buffet coffee on a ship used to serving US coffee, definitely not a fan.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Have you used it yet?

Even though compact, the shape of these can be a problem. Some cabin outlets we have experienced had no room above the desk or next to a corner in the wall to handle even an odd shaped phone charger. We had another where a Euro socket was deeper than the adapter pins, so when the USB unit was pushed hard against the wall, the pins weren't protruding far enough to plug in properly. 

Not on a ship yet, but it does fit comfortably beside other normal Aussie plugs (using the Aus/Japan adaptor) and charged just fine.

We always carry our Aus/Euro & Aus/US double adaptors just in case, and bring normal phone charger. So far these have worked on Princess, HAL, P&O Aus & RCI. We travel overseas regularly and have yet to have a problem with these. As to the new gadget - we’ll see on the 26th.

These Korjo ones:

E644895F-C7E3-4C72-9BEA-2C128FCD4D5B.webp

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Buffet coffee, not a fan.

Princess buffet coffee on a ship used to serving US coffee, definitely not a fan.

So agree with this 😝

We either buy coffee at International Cafe or order room service tea for in room breakfasts and take our own coffee sachets for first up cuppas. Works a treat - you can get four tea cup size cups of coffee from the hot water thermos at breakfast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

Bring your own sachets. When we go to the buffet, I just grab a cup of hot water and add my own coffee at the table 👍

A little bit of home on a cruise 😉

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Porky55 said:

Bring your own sachets. When we go to the buffet, I just grab a cup of hot water and add my own coffee at the table 👍

A little bit of home on a cruise 😉

Yep nescafe 

cappa sachets, take them to the buffet,  add hot water,.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jean C said:

I think I've seen instant coffee sachets in the buffet.

• Like 2